Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2018, 06:31 AM   #3661

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Another mod bites the dust! I just installed the Nautilus 64"X36" Retractable Shower Curtain by Stoett Industries....
Dino,
That new shower door looks great! A couple questions, though --
Had the original glass door given you issues? Also, does the top crossbar on this new one provide the same "third-point-of-contact" strength as the original? I gotta admit, that's one of the things I like about the original -- with a bad knee, I can actually use it as added support when getting in and out of the shower...but maybe the one you put in is sufficient, as well.

It certainly looks a lot more modern, and can only imagine that it weighs just a fraction of the old. When the new shower door is closed, does the panel flex if you bump it when showering.

I know you'll never worry about the heavy glass banging around if you forget to secure the travel latch!

We just got back home after a month on the road. I'll send some pics. Had a great trip!

Cheers!

Kent

ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #3662

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
Two layers of this worked great for me...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...BoCIdwQAvD_BwE
I also used the Dynomat 50 mill thick asphalt type insulation first then I put the thicker insulation like Dilley x 2 shows above. Works great. If you can get two layers on then great but I only have room for one layer on top area but I could have put more on the sides of the dog house.

I also insulated under the dash and and firewall area (from under the hood). Both areas (Dog house and under Hood/dash/Firewall) made a huge diff in heat and sound.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:20 AM   #3663

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacouser View Post
Dino, Can you tell me what you used to insulate your dog house? I need to do that to mine.
Check the attached pic...that should help!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sound proofing items.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	13880  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:32 AM   #3664

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
Dino,
That new shower door looks great! A couple questions, though --
Had the original glass door given you issues? Also, does the top crossbar on this new one provide the same "third-point-of-contact" strength as the original? I gotta admit, that's one of the things I like about the original -- with a bad knee, I can actually use it as added support when getting in and out of the shower...but maybe the one you put in is sufficient, as well.

It certainly looks a lot more modern, and can only imagine that it weighs just a fraction of the old. When the new shower door is closed, does the panel flex if you bump it when showering.

I know you'll never worry about the heavy glass banging around if you forget to secure the travel latch!

We just got back home after a month on the road. I'll send some pics. Had a great trip!

Cheers!

Kent
Hello my friend...the reason why I am trying this system is because I have read the glass doors would jump its tracks when the mounting screws get loose over time...the shower curtain system only weighs appox 6-8 pounds so I would not hang on the top bar...you may have to get a grab bar or something to give you some support. The panel does flex a little when closed. I love the fact that you can leave the panel open or closed during transit and there is no rattling at all.

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #3665

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #13484
Did you happen to take any pictures of the shower base, the access, and or added supports?
Chuck
Old 11-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #3666

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.Anders View Post
Did you happen to take any pictures of the shower base, the access, and or added supports?
Chuck
Chuck, was your question directed towards me????

Old 11-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #3667

THOR #2757
Nautilus RV Retractable Shower Curtain Mod (part 2)

If you are interested in this mod, please check out this link

https://youtu.be/GNuDiTtLYyM

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #3668

THOR #2757
Seelevel II RV Holding Tank Monitoring System

I am seriously considering changing my existing tank monitoring system to the Seelevel II system Model 709!!

Curious to see if there are any members here on this forum that has already installed this system so that we can pick your brains before pulling the trigger!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SEELEVEL II MODEL 709.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	13908  

Old 11-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #3669

THOR #2757
Happy Veterans Day!!!!!

Thank you for your service and sacrifice!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VETERANS DAY BANNER.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	13948  

Old 11-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #3670

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196

Name:	9B05F175-EA60-4206-A288-070FB2DD3CBF.png
Views:	155
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	13949

Name:	97398C22-FEF4-4F0F-84F4-1D9E7AB1D338.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	13950

And of course my picture inserted sideways!

Happy Birthday to all Marines!!! Proudly serving our country for 243 years, and it all started in a bar! (Tun Tavern for those who aren’t familiar with Marine Corp history)

Happy Veterans Day to all of our amazing veterans, Thank You for your service to our nation!!!
Old 11-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #3671

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Happy Birthday Day Dave!!!

I was Army but served with many Marines. I was invited to a few cake cutting ceremonies. Nothing like a piece of cake cut with a sword or Ka-Bar.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #3672

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn62 View Post
Happy Birthday Day Dave!!!

I was Army but served with many Marines. I was invited to a few cake cutting ceremonies. Nothing like a piece of cake cut with a sword or Ka-Bar.
Different branches of service but all playing on Team USA!

Still have my original issue Ka-Bar, a little worn, like me, but still sharp as a razor!
Old 11-11-2018, 03:05 AM   #3673

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Many thanks to those that have or are serving!!!!
Old 11-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #3674

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Attachment 13949

Attachment 13950

And of course my picture inserted sideways!

Happy Birthday to all Marines!!! Proudly serving our country for 243 years, and it all started in a bar! (Tun Tavern for those who aren’t familiar with Marine Corp history)

Happy Veterans Day to all of our amazing veterans, Thank You for your service to our nation!!!

Thank you for your service, Dave...Happy Veterans Day!!!!

Old 11-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #3675

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
Amen
Old 11-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #3676

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
THOR #6863
Monitor your awning

We were recently on an extended roadtrip through the southwest. Heading east on Hwy 64 across the high plains grasslands of New Mexico, we encountered some pretty stiff crosswinds hitting us from the south. The 29M handled pretty well. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been had I not completed the CHF on the front and rear of the MH.

Anyway, we pulled into to the campground that afternoon and I hopped out to unhook the toad for the evening. Something caught my eye right above my head. The front arm of the awning was dislocated; popped out of place. I can only imagine that a strong gust of wind had lifted the main tube to allow the 'elbow' of the awning's arm try and swing outward.

I kinda had a sinking feeling -- but it ended up not being too bad...and an easy fix.

I was able to extend the awning about 10 inches. Any further and it began to unravel since it was blocked by the arm. At that point, I was able to lift the main tube a few inches with the working end of my broom. The bristles kind of created a cradle for the tube. This allowed the arm to spring back into place. From that point, I fully extended the awning -- and then retracted it. Everything went back into place and worked well from that point on.

If I hadn't looked up to see this, or if this had happened earlier in the day's drive, it would have been much easier for another gust to get under that end of the awning and really do some damage. Not sure how this can be prevented in the future outside of simply not driving in excessive winds. Up to this point in the trip, we hadn't used the awning at all. The last time was about 2 months ago when we were up in the Sierras.

Lesson learned. Keep a constant eye on your awnings!

Cheers!
Kent
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181010_172825.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	14043  
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #3677

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Awning?

It looks like your awning doesn't have the vertical legs like mine. I wonder if that makes it more scepetable to the wind ?

Maybe it doesn't roll up as tight?

Thanks for posting it gives me one more thing to think about going down the road
Old 11-15-2018, 12:37 AM   #3678

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
We were recently on an extended roadtrip through the southwest. Heading east on Hwy 64 across the high plains grasslands of New Mexico, we encountered some pretty stiff crosswinds hitting us from the south. The 29M handled pretty well. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been had I not completed the CHF on the front and rear of the MH.

Anyway, we pulled into to the campground that afternoon and I hopped out to unhook the toad for the evening. Something caught my eye right above my head. The front arm of the awning was dislocated; popped out of place. I can only imagine that a strong gust of wind had lifted the main tube to allow the 'elbow' of the awning's arm try and swing outward.

I kinda had a sinking feeling -- but it ended up not being too bad...and an easy fix.

I was able to extend the awning about 10 inches. Any further and it began to unravel since it was blocked by the arm. At that point, I was able to lift the main tube a few inches with the working end of my broom. The bristles kind of created a cradle for the tube. This allowed the arm to spring back into place. From that point, I fully extended the awning -- and then retracted it. Everything went back into place and worked well from that point on.

If I hadn't looked up to see this, or if this had happened earlier in the day's drive, it would have been much easier for another gust to get under that end of the awning and really do some damage. Not sure how this can be prevented in the future outside of simply not driving in excessive winds. Up to this point in the trip, we hadn't used the awning at all. The last time was about 2 months ago when we were up in the Sierras.

Lesson learned. Keep a constant eye on your awnings!

Cheers!
Kent
Thanks fir posting this Kent. Glad it was an easy fix.

How was the overall trip. What did you guys do

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:09 AM   #3679

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Shawn,
The old motor wasn't bad. Well I don't believe its bad because the new motor is doing the same thing.

When I get the new control box and new gear box we'll see what fixes the problem.

I am going to put the old motor back on the old gear box. Ill replace the control box. If I still have the problem Ill replace the gear box.

Ill use whatever old parts that work and save the new parts for back up.

Wont get the new parts until two weeks from now, and Ill be on my 8 day fishing trip So Ill do the replacement when I get back

Jerry
Step update.

Got the new control box and gear box from LCI. There cs guys were great.

Things have been kind of hectic around here with the fishing trip and other personal issues

But today i changes out the control box. Easy job maybe 20 minures max.

Step still making the ratchet noise. DAMN

Called LCI before changing gear box. Looking at gear box i couldnt see anything that could possibly break

CS guy was great again. Discussed every possibly so he said change gear box

There are only 4 parts to the step
1 step
2 motor
3 gear box
4 controller

He then said check the step. Mainly the bar that has the bracket that attaches to the step and to the motor arm. Last pic shows everything. You can see the gear box arm, which is detatched from the step. The arm runs above this arm. Very hard to see To see it you have to look under the step.

Well i found the weld to the bar had broken. The weld it at the end of the bar at the side of the step housing. Its not part of the moving step. It looks like the outside top pivot point goes into the bar. Hard to tell ill know more when everything s removed

So what is happening is the step retracks but because of the broken arm it doesn't lock or move 100% back. So the controller doesnt kick off the motor

The step is closed when looking at it. That small fraction of play is the problem

Called LCI again for suggestion. CS rep said to replace step. My suggestion was to weld it back in place. He couldnt or wasnt allowed to agree with me

Nothing to lose by welding it. I have to remove the entire step assembly either way. So ill have my buddy weld it. If it works, great. If it doesnt hold ill get a new step

Pics of new controller, gear box and motor and some if the step. Dont kniw if youll be able to make out the weld

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20181114_120015.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	14044Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_120010.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	14045Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_120006.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	14046Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_120008.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	14047Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_120427.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	14048Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_170314.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	14049Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_170231.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	14050
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-15-2018, 01:18 AM   #3680

THOR #3156
Very small mod after working on the step

I keep my tpms and cell on the arm rest by the jack control panel. They always move.

So i bought 2 business card holders. Fits both great easy $5 fix. Havent mounted them yet. Ill use museum putty to hold them in place

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20181114_170147.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	14051
FMCA # F464385