RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #4981
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
I need a little help. The passenger side window is leaking (well thatís where the water is coming out) on the inside. So I thought it may need to have some Silicone put on at the top of the window. Did that but it still leaks.
Next I put plastic over the window that opens because I thought maybe the weather stripping was the issue. That didnít work either.
Today I took off the metal trim on the inside to hopefully see where the water is coming in. Everything looks dry.
What am I not looking at? Or, what else can I do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Jeff
__________________

__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #4982
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: England
Posts: 309
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I need a little help. The passenger side window is leaking...
Today I took off the metal trim on the inside to hopefully see where the water is coming in. Everything looks dry.
With help, you should have done the next step and "push" the window out and then investigate further. With re-caulking and re-installing it you know that that part is not the cause.
__________________

__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #4983
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
With help, you should have done the next step and "push" the window out and then investigate further. With re-caulking and re-installing it you know that that part is not the cause.

Push the window ďoutĒ , like out of the frame.... or do you mean push to open the window?
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #4984
Senior Member
 
DinoC41's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,143
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Covid sucks. Maria and I both have it

Headache coughing feeling like a truck hit me. Going on 1 week. Feel a little better right now but.....

Jerry
WOW!!! Sorry you got the Covid! Hope you and Maria feel better soon!!
Merry Xmas and a Healthy New Year!!!!

__________________
Dino & Angie
2017 Thor Windsport 29M

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:56 PM   #4985
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: England
Posts: 309
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Push the window “out” , like out of the frame.... or do you mean push to open the window?
The metal trim is what holds the window frame in place, removing the inside trim will allow the whole window and frame to "fall out". Then all that is needed is to clean and re-caulk the frame.

When you say you have water on the inside, do you mean the window sliding track? With heavy rain, we may get water in the track, but it drains to the outside.
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #4986
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
The metal trim is what holds the window frame in place, removing the inside trim will allow the whole window and frame to "fall out". Then all that is needed is to clean and re-caulk the frame.

When you say you have water on the inside, do you mean the window sliding track? With heavy rain, we may get water in the track, but it drains to the outside.

No the track is dry. I had no idea that the window frame would come off. I am going back out and try to do that.
What kind of caulk do you recommend I use? Thanks for your help.

Jeff
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #4987
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: England
Posts: 309
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
No the track is dry. I had no idea that the window frame would come off. I am going back out and try to do that.
What kind of caulk do you recommend I use? Thanks for your help.
Jeff
I guess I did say caulk, but most will use butyl tape rather than putty tape. butyl is less messy and will not 'squeeze" out. There is also this fancy system, I have watched, never tried it.
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #4988
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I guess I did say caulk, but most will use butyl tape rather than putty tape. butyl is less messy and will not 'squeeze" out. There is also this fancy system, I have watched, never tried it.

Oh now I get what youíre talking about. Not sure I have the skill set to do this.
What youíre recommending is I push the 3 windows and frame from the inside to the outside of the MH.
Sounds like a two person job.... also I am standing on a ladder and have no idea what the windows and frame weight is.
This could go ugly early.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #4989
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 3,018
THOR #6826
If I was removing framed windows Iíd replace them using butyl tape and follow up with urethane sealant on the top and both sides.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #4990
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
If I was removing framed windows Iíd replace them using butyl tape and follow up with urethane sealant on the top and both sides.

The windows are frameless. I found someone that can help me. Going to try removing the windows next week.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:24 AM   #4991
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,704
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
The windows are frameless. I found someone that can help me. Going to try removing the windows next week.
Good luck Jeff. Hope you get it fixed

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #4992
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Good luck Jeff. Hope you get it fixed

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. You are not going to believe this. I put the trim back on because it was going to rain and I thought putting it back together was better than leaving it off. Well... it did rain like crazy. Off and on all day yesterday. Hard rain, sideways rain, just unbelievable. Not a drop of water inside the MH. Not sure I am going to take the window out now.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #4993
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Jerry. How are you feeling?
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:32 AM   #4994
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,704
THOR #3156
Well I'm on day 12 of covid. Spend 8 hours in the er yesterday 103 fever and coughing so bad I couldn't catch my breath. 7-1/2 hours of the 8 was waiting but I was lying down and that helped with the coughing. I have a slight case of pneumonia but the oxygen level is high which is good

Maria and I Haven't eaten much in the 12 days and i lost about 10 lbs. My daughter ran to the store and 2 restaurants. We ate a good dinner and have food for a couple more days. I felt good all day but by 5pm I'm done and ready for bed

I'll keep you updated

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:37 AM   #4995
Junior Member
 
State: Arkansas
Posts: 11
THOR #13243
I only read and never comment, but have been following for years. Hang in there and God bless.

Jim
__________________
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:45 AM   #4996
Member
 
Cakeman's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurican 34P
State: Maryland
Posts: 62
THOR #17588
Hang in there.. you two got this! Thoughts and prayers to you and your family!

Plus we need your input to help us spend our money on getting these RVs right!
__________________
Thanks Bradley
CHF, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Front grill bug/rock guard, Numerous fixes Thor should have done in the first place,
79 FLH
07 Roadglide
Cakeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:47 AM   #4997
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Hang in there Jerry. I am so sorry you feel so bad.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:39 AM   #4998
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 3,018
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Well I'm on day 12 of covid. Spend 8 hours in the er yesterday 103 fever and coughing so bad I couldn't catch my breath. 7-1/2 hours of the 8 was waiting but I was lying down and that helped with the coughing. I have a slight case of pneumonia but the oxygen level is high which is good

Maria and I Haven't eaten much in the 12 days and i lost about 10 lbs. My daughter ran to the store and 2 restaurants. We ate a good dinner and have food for a couple more days. I felt good all day but by 5pm I'm done and ready for bed

I'll keep you updated

Jerry


Godspeed, my friend.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:25 AM   #4999
Senior Member
 
BandG's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 222
THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Covid sucks. Maria and I both have it

Headache coughing feeling like a truck hit me. Going on 1 week. Feel a little better right now but.....

Jerry
Sorry to hear that Jerry. Get better soon. Stay strong!
__________________
Bryce, Gracia & Shadow (4 yr old mini-Daschund mix)
US Army vet- 82nd Airborne Div
BandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #5000
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Arizona
Posts: 10
THOR #21243
Bam!

All decals removed - Buffed out the RV - New vinyl installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20201212_170142(1).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	27652  
__________________

__________________
BIGAIR#60X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×