Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 01:42 AM   #801

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Actually, the Carefree of Colorado Latitude does not have a wind sensor like the Dometic but has a movement sensor. When the air is still, if you wack it on the end with a rubber mallet, it will retract. I found that out when I was replacing one of the plastic clips on the air springs. Just a small panic on an eight foot ladder. After I turned power off to the awning, all went well.

Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:19 AM   #802

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I found out about the auto retrack while cleaning mine. Made the mistake of having the awning out while having a huge campfire at Bodega Bay. For some reason our site became the gathering place for the group. In the morning the awning was covered in smoke. When I got home I scrubbed it with a water bleach solution. It closed on me while scrubbing with the broom. Had to take it easy to get the job done.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #803

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I found out about the auto retrack while cleaning mine. Made the mistake of having the awning out while having a huge campfire at Bodega Bay. For some reason our site became the gathering place for the group. In the morning the awning was covered in smoke. When I got home I scrubbed it with a water bleach solution. It closed on me while scrubbing with the broom. Had to take it easy to get the job done.

Jerry
LOL that's funny! I wonder if after you extend the awning then put the battery switch in the store position temporarily if it would keep the awning from retracting? I have a couple of small mildew spots on my awning that need to be washed, think I'll try that.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #804

THOR #3156
Dave,
Use bleack and water then foll up the awning. By rolling it up the bleach water cleans both the top and bottom. Let itt sit closed for 30 minutes or so then open ,wash, and let dry. That should get rid of the mildew
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #805

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
LOL that's funny! I wonder if after you extend the awning then put the battery switch in the store position temporarily if it would keep the awning from retracting? I have a couple of small mildew spots on my awning that need to be washed, think I'll try that.
I have a feeling that's what Beau388 ended up doing when he almost fell off the ladder while working on his and it suddenly began retracting. That would be a rude awakening...and potentially dangerous!

I guess one could test it out by having the awning out, gently jostling it with a broom until it retracted, and then repeating this procedure -- but after switching the batteries to 'store' when putting the awning out the second time. Then you'd know for sure.

Personally, I'm glad that this awning had that feature. It saved me from a potentially costly and stupid mistake. Interestingly, the guy who did the walk-through with us specifically said that there wasn't any such sensor on the awning. Maybe something Thor recently began using on the 29M?...I don't know.

Back to the maiden voyage...
Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #806

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
I'm excited for you and your new MH ! I almost did the same thing except I would have been flying in from California and making the road trip back. By the time I calculated the cost of the flight and the trip back, we decided to pay a bit more out here -- that and we were fortunate to find one of the 29M's with the maple cabinets...which my wife really wanted! ( They seem to be harder to find)

You're getting a killer deal, and I think it's pretty cool that they have the shuttle service from DFW, along with the on-site campground for checking things out. SuperD is absolutely right -- you can't ask too many questions.

We just had our first night on our maiden voyage (see pic). So far, we love it...and so will you!

Congratulations!
My wife wanted the Brazilian Cherry cabinets and MHSRV had are variety of both the Maple and BC cabinets. We have the 50 Amp coach too. The 2nd A/C will be perfect for the hot Texas sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	U.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	4344  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #807

THOR #2757
Quote:
I'm excited for you and your new MH ! I almost did the same thing except I would have been flying in from California and making the road trip back. By the time I calculated the cost of the flight and the trip back, we decided to pay a bit more out here -- that and we were fortunate to find one of the 29M's with the maple cabinets...which my wife really wanted! ( They seem to be harder to find)

You're getting a killer deal, and I think it's pretty cool that they have the shuttle service from DFW, along with the on-site campground for checking things out. SuperD is absolutely right -- you can't ask too many questions.

We just had our first night on our maiden voyage (see pic). So far, we love it...and so will you!

Congratulations!
We had a blast too!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170318 BSL (1).jpg
Views:	199
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	4345  

Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #808

THOR #2757
Quote:
Pic of the co unit on the living room wallAttachment 4331Attachment 4332
UPS should deliver my 2-pack tomorrow.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 PM   #809

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Arkansas
THOR #3744
Question

Quote:
Sundance
Here's a pic of the front sway bar chf. You can see the bolt is in the inside hole. It comes from the factory in the outside hole.

How has this worked out for you? I started to make this mod, but when I placed the links into the inner holes, I realized it limited the travel of the front suspension and it placed all the weight of the front axle on the front stabilizer rods when the rig is raised on the levelers. I didn't like that so I reversed the change before I even drove it.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #810

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Arkansas
THOR #3744
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I did the CHF a long time ago. If you get a rear trac bar installed you can actually drive these things over 50 mph... but the ride is harsher. I put extended link on front because at some camp sites when the front wheel came off the ground the sway bar would be pressed hard against the leaf spring. I attempted to add sumo springs, I bought a set from etrailer only to find out they did not really fit right, after calling sumo spring they told me I had the wrong part, Thor is different then any other F53.. so etrailer offered me a 5% discount on another order becuase of thier misinformation, no return because I had installed it... yes. I have a mod for it I am going to try when I get to cooler weather. if you want to try sumo springs beware
Can you share where you got the extended sway bar link arms for the front sway bar? I did the mode and then reversed it because of the exact scenario you described.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #811

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceAndPam View Post
How has this worked out for you? I started to make this mod, but when I placed the links into the inner holes, I realized it limited the travel of the front suspension and it placed all the weight of the front axle on the front stabilizer rods when the rig is raised on the levelers. I didn't like that so I reversed the change before I even drove it.
There have been owners that have driven thousands of miles with the link in the rear hole, no problems. Personally I have about 4,000 miles with the links in the rear holes front and rear, no problems at all. After completing the CHF I would not change back, better ride, better handling, great mod to do!
Old 03-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #812

THOR #5196
Quote:
Dave,
Use bleack and water then foll up the awning. By rolling it up the bleach water cleans both the top and bottom. Let itt sit closed for 30 minutes or so then open ,wash, and let dry. That should get rid of the mildew
Thanks Jerry! I have some mildew remover that works pretty good, will try it first just because I have it. Will try your bleach solution if the remover doesn't work, Great idea!!!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:35 AM   #813

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
THOR #6863
Rapid Camp help

Well, one day to go on the maiden voyage. Everything is working great -- EXCEPT the Rapid Camp system. The remote is fully charged, the '0000' opens everything up on the screen, but absolutely nothing responds. Frustrating. I thought somebody mentioned that the Lippert receiver panel was under the bed. All I can see under there is the ladder. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Kent
Old 03-30-2017, 04:33 AM   #814

THOR #3156
Kent its under the bed to the left of that storage area. You need to remove the four screws that hold the panel down
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-30-2017, 04:35 AM   #815

THOR #3156
Quote:
Thanks Jerry! I have some mildew remover that works pretty good, will try it first just because I have it. Will try your bleach solution if the remover doesn't work, Great idea!!!
I forget the bleach to water ratio. Somethink like 1/4-1/2 cup per two gallons water. Id have yo research it again the next time i gave to clean it
Quote:
There have been owners that have driven thousands of miles with the link in the rear hole, no problems. Personally I have about 4,000 miles with the links in the rear holes front and rear, no problems at all. After completing the CHF I would not change back, better ride, better handling, great mod to do!
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-30-2017, 04:43 AM   #816

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceAndPam View Post
Its worked great. Ive followed the original chf thread on irv2 for a long time. Many people have added a plate to the sway bar arm to extend the bar to level but still have the effect/benefits of the chf. I recently did this. Its oosted on my thread a few pages back. I did it because i like to tinker with things not because it was needed. The inventor/ founder if the chf has tens of thousands of miles on his coach as do many others with no problems. Like i said i added the plates because i wanted to not because i needed to

Name:	20170224_104506.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	4349Click image for larger version

Name:	20170224_104209.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	4350
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #817

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Curtains, battery switch, pantry door lock

I have done the following ( plus more) I want to share , a couple things are important.

1. coach battery cut off swicth.. I installed a knife style. After you put it in "store" mode" then lift the knife.. in store mode the battery still is being used at about .5 amp per hour.
2. Slide cabinet door lock. My 27k has a skinny slide cabinet next to the fridge. On my first trip 200 yards from the dealer I pulled into a gas station and it came flying out busting the opposite closet door. The dealer installed this lock, and replaced the damaged door..
3. Within 10 months the inner lining of the curtains, made of paper as far as I could tell, disinigrated on thier own, turned to white dust. I went to a fabric store, bought sun blocking curtain liner and took my curtains, after cutting out the crappy liner, to a seamstress who sew in the real thing. They block sun, work great.
4. If you seem to have alot of noise it may come from your windows. The little plug on things will cut that noise out. I had them installed via warranty, but have seen them for sale on Ebay. I do not know what the part number is. Yes, it helped alot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160907_105640.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	4351   Click image for larger version

Name:	lock on pantry.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	4352  

Name:	curtain.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	4353   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150219_145455.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	4354  

Old 03-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #818

THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Looking for sewer hose storage ideas for Windsport/Hurricane.

Thanks
I use a cardboard box that fits in the same compartment. Low tech..but works fine. Coil it up so ends are facing down.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #819

THOR #970
Quote:
Yeah...I wish I had power nearby while it's in storage. Well, hopefully I have about 2 years before I need to worry about it. We shall see. Maybe if I go every couple weeks and run the generator for 15 - 20 minutes that would help. Probably good for the generator, too.

Thanks, Jerry.

Kent
The coach batterie not to hard to pull out. You have another option, connect a solar panel to them if you have sun. I have a disconnect, 3 months and the batteries are still at 90%
Old 03-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #820

THOR #970
I use onboard water only for washing dishes and showers. I do toss some bleached water in from time to time, as a new unit I don't think it is needed.
I had a rapid camp, used it once or twice, but found it had an inherant problem, you can't use it remotely very well. To put the jacks down you are stting in the drivers seat, parking brake on, press the button on the control panel.. For extending the slide the engine has to be turned off, so after the jacks down, turn off, take a second look out the door to make sure you have clearance and press the button on the control panel. Now you all set to camp, what to do with the remote you did not use?

I diito the notebook idea, I sill keep a notepad when I find something I want to change or need I write it down..

happy trails

Quote:
OK all of you 29Mers, we're taking our new Windsport out this next Monday for a few days to a local campground. I'm going to try to run/go through all the systems while there so I can begin making a fix-it list for the dealership.

Are there inherent issues that I should focus on based upon your expert knowledge? At this point, I know that I'm going to try and tinker with the Rapid Camp configuration. The remote doesn't seem to be doing anything so I'm guessing that it just needs to be configured to the Lippert receiver (under the bed?) I've downloaded the instructions from Lippert, so hopefully that will do the trick.

Even though the campground that we're going to has full hookups, I'm planning on filling the fresh water tank about 2/3rds and adding a 1/4 cup of bleach so that it can slosh around and clean/disinfect on the 20 mile drive out and back. Hoping that it'll be ready to go after that.

Appreciate any advice I can get...

Cheers!