Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2017, 04:56 AM   #1741

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
Those plates look pretty. My friend has a Fab shop I know he could make them for me
Have him follow these specs but use 4" plates overlap 1/2 on each plate. Also i can remove one if mine to use as a template for the holes

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1486783912428.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	5687

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:07 AM   #1742

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
Jerry's Hurricane mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Have him follow these specs but use 4" plates overlap 1/2 on each plate. Also i can remove one if mine to use as a template for the holes

JerryAttachment 5687

That's awesome ! I saved the pic Your such a good guy let me know if I can help you out with some 3M film for your rig I'd love to return the love (material cost only)

Here's a link to my guys doing work on a new BMW M3
https://youtu.be/8JoxhEygULA

https://youtu.be/UibI75SBbZs

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #1743

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
I would suggest making the plates for the chf. Safe t plus will be a bitch to install on 29m because it sits low to the ground. Will need ramps to drive up on or use the leveling jacks. Just not a lot of room to work under there but it can be done in a couple hours.

Jerry

Attachment 5686
I like the plates Jerry has but had no way to make them but here is an alternative, they are the same diameter but 14" long. Easy swap, just press the bushings out of your old links, press in to the new ones and install.
Here is the link: https://skyjacker.com/shop/sway-bar-link/sbe507/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	5688
Old 07-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #1744

THOR #5196
Quote:
It's a 1965 11 window walk thru all original

Attachment 5685
That is just to cool!!! I had a camper van, 76 model I bought for $2200 from a guy who owed the IRS a butt load of money and was having to move, I had cash and he was in a hurry. The picture isn't mine but it's identical to the one I had. Took a lot of fun trips, bunch of us would load up and drive about 5 hours from Oklahoma to St Louis to watch the Cardinals play. Kinda wish I still had my bus!

Name:	IMG_0127.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	5689
Old 07-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #1745

THOR #5196
Quote:
I'm falling behind on the mods .. Too busy at the Tint shop
I'd like to add sun blocking film to my front side windows, coming back from Galveston the west sun was getting hot on my arm! I don't want any tint if possible, just heat blocking. What type of film would you recommend for the side windows and can I get it wide enough to cover in one piece on each window section? I have a 29M like you and Jerry except mine is a Windsport. None of the tint shops in my area want to work on a motorhome. Thanks!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #1746

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I'd like to add sun blocking film to my front side windows, coming back from Galveston the west sun was getting hot on my arm! I don't want any tint if possible, just heat blocking. What type of film would you recommend for the side windows and can I get it wide enough to cover in one piece on each window section? I have a 29M like you and Jerry except mine is a Windsport. None of the tint shops in my area want to work on a motorhome. Thanks!!!

I would recommend 3M Crystalline (pricey) or a good Ceramic ( high heat rejecting) film
Good brands are Suntek,Llumar or 3M

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #1747

THOR #5196
Quote:
I would recommend 3M Crystalline (pricey) or a good Ceramic ( high heat rejecting) film
Good brands are Suntek,Llumar or 3M
Thank you for your recommendation!!! I was thinking 3M, that's what is on my Yukon windows and it works great. Will try to find online.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #1748

THOR #5196
"If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!"
I originally installed these sliding window locks, Myra didn't like them, said it was to hard for her to tighten and loosen the little wing nut.

Name:	IMG_2119.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	5735

Thinking cap back on. Went to Lowes, again, and bought a couple of stainless steel S hooks. Added some red electrical tape for visibility, the extra tape around the bottom is to keep it from rattling. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the fixed frame and elongated it slightly by tilting the drill back to front, makes it easier to insert the hook, cleaned up the hole with a deburring tool.

Name:	IMG_2123.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	5736

Name:	IMG_2128.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	5737

Easy on and off, blocks the sliding window from moving more than a 1/4". Mama is happy now!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #1749

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Super D...

I like the window locks! Looks like another project!

Thanks.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #1750

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Super D...

I like the window locks! Looks like another project!

Thanks.

Doc
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...lock-8070.html

See above thread #1-4 for a similar approach.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #1751

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Well, I just completed the CHF on the front. It has been raining all day in the thumb, got tired of waiting on the rain to stop and slid my large frame under the rig....tight fit! Took me about 45 mikes as the driver side bolt was hitting the leaf spring. Using a bottle jack I was able to get the bolt in the chf hole. The rods are only at about a 110 degree angle now, so should be good.

I will probably do the back one day this week after the rain stops. We are leaving Monday on a trip to Florida. I am betting she handles a lot better now. Did anyone get a harsher ride after doing this?
Old 07-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #1752

THOR #7673
Quote:
Ok got up early to beat the heat. Its Sumo Spring install day. Only installed the front and it took about 1 1/2 hours which included clean up.

I started at 830 removing the old bumper stops. Real work started when Dave, Sundance, arrived to supervise at 900. I then raised the front end with the leveling jacks. Installed the drivers side first. Pretty easy job but i credit my supervisor. Drilling took a bit but i used old drill bits. I bought a new 7/16 which the instruction called for but to use it would mean to lower the axle. I left the axle raised and use the bracket as s guide. 3/8 bit worked great and the top bolt went on with no problem.

Started on the passenger side. Got the sumo bolted to the leaf spring. At this time my buddy, Jaime that owns the fleetwood that i helped install his safe t plus and rear track bar shows up. I drill the upper bracket hole. This side is harder to bolt on. The bolt goes in no problem but There is anothet bracket blocking the inside if of the sumo bolt so it was hard to attach the nut. Supervisor gets involved and we lose the nut for a few minutes. Jaime finds it and he bolts it down.

Jaime was happy to contribute. I was hoping Dave and i would be done before he showed up. On well we were close to finishing.

As usual Dave goes home sfter the job is done. He never lets me buy him lunch after working.

Jaime and i do a test run eat.

We did a little city driving and went in and out of several parking lots. Definately makes a difference in driveways. No more rocking.

Some time next week ill try to take it on the freeway to see if i can feel the semi as they get next to me. If i cant do it next week it will be in a few minth when dictor says im clear to drive after my surgery.

Enough typing geres a couple pics.

Jerry

Attachment 5675Attachment 5676Attachment 5677Attachment 5678Attachment 5679Attachment 5680
Nice! After I do the rear CHF, if I am not satisfied with the ride I'm going to do the sumos and Safe T plus next.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #1753

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
I didn't notice a "harsher ride" after doing the CHF on back and front. The MH still rides like a big, heavily loaded, single rear axle Ford truck. But the swaying side to side is much better. Well worth the time and effort.

The CHF and a Safe-T Stablizer together made the MH a lot more pleasant to drive. I don't feel like I have been herding cats all day after a long drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
I am betting she handles a lot better now. Did anyone get a harsher ride after doing this?
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #1754

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
Nice! After I do the rear CHF, if I am not satisfied with the ride I'm going to do the sumos and Safe T plus next.
Heres the order i would go for suspension upgrades
1. Chf front and rear
2. Safe t plus
3. Rear track bar
4. Front sumo

I dont really know how the coach drove without the safe t plus because it was installed before i picked it up. The test drive was the first time driving a mh so i couldnt really tell if it was good or bad.

I saw the best ride improvement with the rear track bar. BIG improvement. It will be interesting to see what the sumos do when driving on the freeway. Time will tell if it was worth the $450.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #1755

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #6007
Pre delivery chf, safe t plus and trac bar

Arrived Elkhart to pick up our 2018 ACE 29.3...coach is in the shop now for chf, safety plus, rear trac bar and alignment prior to delivery.....hmmm, good news but also I will have no before/after comparison.....I'll report back after we get on the road for any length of time in the coming 10days...oh, and the mechanic re-greased the bushings....thanks to Jerry and ithers for recommendations!

Now, need to decide if I add another battery..there is space for 3 in my batt compartment...hmm, anither to match the ones coming with the coach, 3 new 100 ah AGMs or two, flooded 6v golf carts? Hmmm.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #1756

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1912 View Post
Arrived Elkhart to pick up our 2018 ACE 29.3...coach is in the shop now for chf, safety plus, rear trac bar and alignment prior to delivery.....hmmm, good news but also I will have no before/after comparison.....I'll report back after we get on the road for any length of time in the coming 10days...oh, and the mechanic re-greased the bushings....thanks to Jerry and ithers for recommendations!

Now, need to decide if I add another battery..there is space for 3 in my batt compartment...hmm, anither to match the ones coming with the coach, 3 new 100 ah AGMs or two, flooded 6v golf carts? Hmmm.
I say use tge battetied you have until they die. If you okan to do a lit if dty camping get 2- 6volt
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #1757

THOR #3156
Sorry last post was messed up.

If you plan to dry camp get the 6v
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #1758

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #6007
Batteries, dry camp,

Hmmm, will probably dry camp 10-20% of the time....must admit this solar system thing is going to be a bit of a toy and experiment.....maybe I just add a third el cheapo standard battery to the two I get for now...kick the can down the road..
Old 07-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #1759

THOR #3156
Id stick with the two stock batteries. See how the solar works out. You can also charge your batteries when using the generator.
I dry camp a couple weeks a year. The generator charges fine and i dont have solar.

You maybe worrying about a problem you dont have. Use the coach and make adjustments/purchases as needed.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #1760

THOR #7673
Well, today I did an unexpected mod. I ran down to Sam's Club to fill up the rig for our upcoming trip. Drove back home and parked in the center of the driveway to wash the rig with Meguiars Ultimate. I stepped out of the rig and.....BOOM!! The steps came crashing down onto the driveway. All four nuts came loose. I was only able to find 3 of the nuts and their washers on the driveway. Now these are lock nuts, the fact that it appears all of them ( or at least three, maybe there never was a fourth) came off at the same time is odd.

I went down to the hardware store and bought another lock nut and 4 lock washers. Using a bottle jack, I was able to position the step up to their corresponding lag bolts and torque all four nuts. I do not anticipate these nuts loosening up again, but will check them periodically. I'm not sure, but it appears Thor did not have the nuts very tight and may have left off the fourth nut. I'd advise all to check the nuts holding your steps up periodically.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170711_111349.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	5781