Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #1761
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
Well, today I did an unexpected mod. I ran down to Sam's Club to fill up the rig for our upcoming trip. Drove back home and parked in the center of the driveway to wash the rig with Meguiars Ultimate. I stepped out of the rig and.....BOOM!! The steps came crashing down onto the driveway. All four nuts came loose. I was only able to find 3 of the nuts and their washers on the driveway. Now these are lock nuts, the fact that it appears all of them ( or at least three, maybe there never was a fourth) came off at the same time is odd.

I went down to the hardware store and bought another lock nut and 4 lock washers. Using a bottle jack, I was able to position the step up to their corresponding lag bolts and torque all four nuts. I do not anticipate these nuts loosening up again, but will check them periodically. I'm not sure, but it appears Thor did not have the nuts very tight and may have left off the fourth nut. I'd advise all to check the nuts holding your steps up periodically.

I think that's called a repair; not a mod (unless the mod is adding the fourth nut)

Old 07-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #1762

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
A sligbt mod to the OEM install.....added lock washers.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:16 AM   #1763

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
WOW! Bet that was a surprise!!! Lucky you weren't hurt and it happened it your driveway. Guess I'll check mine tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:01 AM   #1764

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Im not waiting for tomorrow. Heading out now to check mine.

Yes glad you were not hurt. Big thanks for posting this

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:14 AM   #1765

THOR #5196
Nothing good on tv, there never is, so I went out and checked my steps, they were bolted up tight. Don't know what made me think about it but I was looking at the valve extensions on my rear wheels, the nuts that hold the braided hose to the brackets were loose on all four wheels. Might want to check yours.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:20 AM   #1766

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Nothing good on tv, there never is, so I went out and checked my steps, they were bolted up tight. Don't know what made me think about it but I was looking at the valve extensions on my rear wheels, the nuts that hold the braided hose to the brackets were loose on all four wheels. Might want to check yours.
Ive checked those already Dave but its good to let others know. Just checked my steps bolts and all is good. I gave them a couple of turns just to make sure.

If anyone plans on checking theirs bring a 14mm socket and 3-4 inch extension. Open door so the step comes out and they are right there.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:23 AM   #1767

THOR #7673
Thanks Dave! 10-4 Jerry, yeah worth checking, mine were 9/16 nuts.

Now I have to figure out my full wall slide problem. It extends/retracts an inch and stops. Doing the controller override enables me to fully extend/retract but it goes right back to stopping after an inch once the controller resets. I've done the syncing procedure multiple times to no avail. Fault code is 8 red and 2 green: "Wire short from controller to motor 2."
Old 07-12-2017, 02:12 AM   #1768

THOR #5196
If your controller is reading a fault the problem will continue until the wire short is corrected. I would call, not email, Thor and ask for a wiring diagram to show how the wiring is routed, might save a lot of trouble shooting time. Or take it back to the dealer depending on how far away they are.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:29 AM   #1769

THOR #7673
Quote:
If your controller is reading a fault the problem will continue until the wire short is corrected. I would call, not email, Thor and ask for a wiring diagram to show how the wiring is routed, might save a lot of trouble shooting time. Or take it back to the dealer depending on how far away they are.
Yeah, I have a punch list ready for the dealer, will add this issue to it. We are suppose to leave on a 2500 mile trip Monday, doubt the dealer could get me in and fix it in time. I will look at the wiring at the motor tomorrow. Maybe the break is close to the motor. If not, I may just override the controller while we are away. Any idea which motor is motor 2? I'm thinking it is the rear motor.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:31 AM   #1770

THOR #5196
No idea which motor is which, sorry. Hope you have a great trip!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:06 AM   #1771

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Im not waiting for tomorrow. Heading out now to check mine.

Yes glad you were not hurt. Big thanks for posting this

Jerry
Checked my stair...all is secure!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:07 AM   #1772

THOR #2757
Quote:
Good call Dave!

Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #1773

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
Has anyone found a problem with fresh water tank being over filled? Then running into grey tank over filling it into the shower and outside kitchen sink. I had the city water connected over three days at a campsite. I do have a pressure valve set to 45 #. I only had a half a tank of fresh at the time. Is there something I need to shut off the filling of the city water from my fresh tank?
Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #1774

THOR #2757
Texas Tech Table and Chairs

Angie found this set at WallyWorld yesterday. Since we are Texas Tech fans and live in Lubbock, we thought this would be a nice addition to Windy's tailgating gear!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TX Tech table and chairs.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	5796  

Old 07-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #1775

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMobious View Post
Has anyone found a problem with fresh water tank being over filled? Then running into grey tank over filling it into the shower and outside kitchen sink. I had the city water connected over three days at a campsite. I do have a pressure valve set to 45 #. I only had a half a tank of fresh at the time. Is there something I need to shut off the filling of the city water from my fresh tank?
There is a check valve in the water pump that should not allow city water to fill your tank, when on city water that's the only way it can get in, there aren't any other connections to the tank.

You probably have a little bit of crud in your pump. Unhook from city water, turn your pump on to pressurize the system, then shut the pump off. Wait a few minutes and turn on a faucet, if the check valve is bad you won't have any or very little residual pressure. Take the pump out and clean it, pretty easy to do on most of them. If your pump is under the dinette seat like ours it's really easy to get out. Have a towel handy when you unhook the pump, it's going to drain some water when you do. Hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #1776

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Angie found this set at WallyWorld yesterday. Since we are Texas Tech fans and live in Lubbock, we thought this would be a nice addition to Windy's tailgating gear!!

Very nice, I like it!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #1777

THOR #5196
Going to be an interesting day today, Myra has her shoulder surgery this morning. She's already grumpy since she can't have her morning coffee! Told her I would buy her ice cream after if she was good! She probably won't be, nurses make terrible patients!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #1778

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Going to be an interesting day today, Myra has her shoulder surgery this morning. She's already grumpy since she can't have her morning coffee! Told her I would buy her ice cream after if she was good! She probably won't be, nurses make terrible patients!
Hope all goes well keep smile on your face DW had double hip replacement 8 months ago OH WHAT A JOY THAT WAS

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #1779

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
Hope all goes well keep smile on your face DW had double hip replacement 8 months ago OH WHAT A JOY THAT WAS
Thank You!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #1780
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMobious View Post
SuperD answered the city water getting to fresh water tank...
But filling the gray tank is a different animal... No direct plumbing connection - but a leaking/dripping faucet would do that...
Sounds like you are looking at 2 different maintenance items.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote