Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2017, 01:52 AM   #1961

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Completed my doghouse insulation. When I ordered the insulation I bought two pieces of the 3/4" DynaMat, 1 door kit which covers 12 sq/ft, and a 30' roll of tape. I removed the cover, wow, very feeble attempt by Thor of insulation. The foil tape was crumpled up and barely sticking in most places, after removing the tape there were big gaps in what little insulation there was.

Attachment 6188

Attachment 6189

I removed the foil tape, used 3M spray adhesive, and filled in all the gaps with foil bubble wrap. Next I used my templates and cut the 3/4" DynaMat. By carefully aligning the templates I had leftover from using just one sheet, so don't order two. I closed up the seams with tape and then using the templates I cut the Dynaliner and stuck it in place. Since the sheets were smaller I had to use several small pieces but cut each to fit and left no gaps. I finished by using the tape to cover all the seams.

Attachment 6190

Attachment 6191

You'll need a heavy duty pair of scissors, a box knife doesn't work very well as it tends to stick. Make patterns first, makes fitting much easier. I didn't use a roller, just made sure I applied hand pressure everywhere to get good adhesion.
Take your time, this is not something you want to hurry if you want a good fit.

The doghouse is much heavier now and when you knock on the outside it seems solid rather than hollow. Haven't tested the difference yet but it has to be better considering the lack of insulation installed by Thor!!!
Very nice job! It has to help a lot with both, heat and engine noise.

Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:59 AM   #1962

THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Back to the mods.

I've been kind of lazy the past several weeks and a little depressed. I had to put down my 15 year old lab. She was the sweetest dog i ever owned. Always by my side and always wanted to be pet. 15 is a good long life for a big lab. She will be missed

So i tried to check the water in my batteries the other day. Ha that was a joke. There are tons of cables and no room at all to look into the cells

I dont know why they dont put the batteries on a sliding tray. For what we pay for these mh i think it should come with it

So i got online and ordered the Flow-Rite Qwik-Fill kit # mp-2000. This kit is for two 12 volt batteries. They have other kits for single or 6 volt

I also bought the hand pump kit which you have to have to pump the water into the battery cells

Took about 15 minutes to install which includes instructing my neighbor on how it works. He always comes over to see what im doing to the mh and to gossip

Attached the pump and i was surprised on how much water it took. No leaks. Im happy. Hopefully by doing this mod and checking the water often ill get some time out if the batteries

I took a couple pics. Hopefully you can see the yellow cell caps which are the mp2000

Also went out and bought a 2007 Toyota Tacoma. I cant go without a truck and the wife wont let me use the Jeep for home depot runs

Attachment 3259Attachment 3260

Pick of the quick connect

Attachment 3261

Attachment 3262Attachment 3263Attachment 3264Attachment 3265
Jerry,
I'm planning on making a rollout drawer for my batteries on the Hurricane. When I get into the design, I'll get it to you for critique. Current thought is to buy some small diameter Hillman Rollers (skates), mount them to the floor of the battery compartment, then make a tray to mount the batteries on. Maybe even add another battery for 3 total.
More to come when I get into it.
Recie
Old 08-05-2017, 02:13 AM   #1963

THOR #8249
Quote:
Got the a/c vent cover from amazon this morning. Planned on doing the install next week after we return home from our 5 day cabo cruise. Since it arrived early this morning i decided to do it now. Took about 30 minutes start to finish. Thankfully i found my jigsaw that i didnt know i had. Found it while looking for something to cut the hole. Heres a few pics. Hopefully they will help if you plan to do this mod. And yes its worth doing. Much more air comes out.

JerryAttachment 4582Attachment 4583Attachment 4584Attachment 4585Attachment 4586Attachment 4587
Jerry,
I seem to get good blow from the central unit and the front room vents, but a whisper from the bedroom vents.

Was yours doing the same thing?

I have figured out the ducting is just channels in the ceiling foam, but haven't pushed anything thru it, yet.
I haven't removed the central unit cover, yet, but that was my next move, even before I read of this mod.
Recie
Old 08-05-2017, 02:15 AM   #1964

THOR #8249
Quote:
Last thing for today. I know i get verbos with my posts but i try to be detailed in hope of helping everyone out.

So i have a hard time turning the captain chair around to view the livingroom. The arm rest hits the steering wheel and i have to push it through.

So i did some research and found out the arm rest are removable. To do this all you have to do is raise the armrest up, push in where the armrest rotates, then continue to rotate the arm until it faces the opposite way. Then oull it off. To reinstall, put it back on the same way it came out. No need to push on it. It will reallign itself.

JerryAttachment 4589Attachment 4590
Thanx for the info. The wife and I were baffled by this just this last weekend. I'll have to give it a try.
RPT
Old 08-05-2017, 02:26 AM   #1965

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Jerry,
I seem to get good blow from the central unit and the front room vents, but a whisper from the bedroom vents.

I have figured out the ducting is just channels in the ceiling foam, but haven't pushed anything thru it, yet.
I haven't removed the central unit cover, yet, but that was my next move, even before I read of this mod.
Recie
The ceiling ducts don't flow air very well even with the quick cool vents closed. I have dual ACs and with both on it doesn't flow well, which is why installed the round vents in the cover.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:22 AM   #1966

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Jerry,
I'm planning on making a rollout drawer for my batteries on the Hurricane. When I get into the design, I'll get it to you for critique. Current thought is to buy some small diameter Hillman Rollers (skates), mount them to the floor of the battery compartment, then make a tray to mount the batteries on. Maybe even add another battery for 3 total.
More to come when I get into it.
Recie
Id be interested in seeing what you come up with. Have you looked into buying a roller tray and bolting it to the battery compartment floor??

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:24 AM   #1967

THOR #3156
Quote:
Jerry,

Recie
Yes living room got good air flow but bedroom was lacking. The costco fan we bought helps a lot. Im still going to look into adding a bedroom ac but Ill have to wait until I heal up from the surgery.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-05-2017, 05:56 AM   #1968

THOR #8249
Yep, I've been thinking on it too. It wouldn't be too hard to replace the bedroom vent with the ac cold air duct, the way I figure it. But then the power requirement woul jump to 50A. The additional ac would need the additional 120VAC the 50A provides. Still doable, just more involved.
RPT
Old 08-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #1969

THOR #8249
No, I haven't even considered that there may be something to buy to accomplish the rolling battery tray. I probably should look about that first��
Old 08-05-2017, 06:03 AM   #1970

THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
The ceiling ducts don't flow air very well even with the quick cool vents closed. I have dual ACs and with both on it doesn't flow well, which is why installed the round vents in the cover.
Thanx for the information, D. I will be planning the additional ac vent mod. We also bought a 12" fan that fits across the room from the bed, that helps spot cool and moves the air.
RPT
Old 08-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #1971

THOR #5196
Quote:
No, I haven't even considered that there may be something to buy to accomplish the rolling battery tray. I probably should look about that first��
I've looked at the sliding battery tray idea several times and these are my observations.

The battery door is very narrow, any tray would need to have very thin side walls to clear the door.

The sliding mechanism would have to be supported from the bottom due to the lack of clearance on the sides of the doors. To support the weight of the batteries and be stable while traveling the tray would need a locking mechanism to prevent movement. The Hillman rollers are a great idea but very expensive, something similar but less expensive would work since they would be on the bottom.

Longer battery cables would be needed to allow movement of the tray to the outside of the coach. The battery cables would probably have to be custom made due to the length needed for movement. Custom cables would probably be the easiest part because they could be made from welding cable with lugs soldered on.

I'm sure this is a doable project, just going to need to think out the bottom sliding mechanism a little more.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #1972

THOR #8249
Dave, I agree with everything you say. You are right on target. This one will take some thinking on.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #1973

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #7902
Seems like this is the thread to go to. I have posted questions in other threads and have had 50 or 60 views with very few replies. This thread has over 101,000 views and almost 2000 replies. Maybe someone here can help me. I have two questions currently.

1. Does anyone know of an always on 12v powerpoint on a 2017 Ford C-Max Energi? Have a BlueOx Patriot Braking System that has a cigarette lighter style plug and I need to pug it in somewhere that is always on.

2. How many ft/lbs do the nuts and bolts on the shocks for a 2017 Hurricane 29M need to be torqued to? I am putting new shocks an the RV, and am looking for some advice, maybe someone else has put new shocks on theirs and knows.

Thank you for your time and effort in this matter.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #1974

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makerofsawdust View Post
Seems like this is the thread to go to. I have posted questions in other threads and have had 50 or 60 views with very few replies. This thread has over 101,000 views and almost 2000 replies. Maybe someone here can help me. I have two questions currently.

2. How many ft/lbs do the nuts and bolts on the shocks for a 2017 Hurricane 29M need to be torqued to? I am putting new shocks an the RV, and am looking for some advice, maybe someone else has put new shocks on theirs and knows.

I think I already answered your question but just in case not, 315 ft/lbs for a 3/4" bolt.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #1975

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makerofsawdust View Post

1. Does anyone know of an always on 12v powerpoint on a 2017 Ford C-Max Energi? Have a BlueOx Patriot Braking System that has a cigarette lighter style plug and I need to pug it in somewhere that is always on.

For powering your patriot you can buy a 12v power adapter for a few bucks and power it directly to the battery. Youll need to run the wires through the engine compartment and under the dash. Etrailer sells them and has install videos. Very easy to do. This works well if you need to disconnect the battery while towing. Some vehicles require this so the battery doesnt drain and die while being towed.

Sirry dont know the torque for shocks but would quess at 450 ft pounds.
But tgats a quess.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #1976

THOR #3156
Quote:
Yep, I've been thinking on it too. It wouldn't be too hard to replace the bedroom vent with the ac cold air duct, the way I figure it. But then the power requirement woul jump to 50A. The additional ac would need the additional 120VAC the 50A provides. Still doable, just more involved.
RPT
I will most likely do this but the bedroom ac will be powered by its own 20 amp cord that will have to be plugged in at the pedestal. So this ac will not work on gen power and if the pedestal doesnt have a 30 and 20 amp it cant be used.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #1977

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #7902
Quote:
For powering your patriot you can buy a 12v power adapter for a few bucks and power it directly to the battery. Youll need to run the wires through the engine compartment and under the dash. Etrailer sells them and has install videos. Very easy to do. This works well if you need to disconnect the battery while towing. Some vehicles require this so the battery doesnt drain and die while being towed.

But tgats a quess.

Jerry
Thank you.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #1978
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:

But tgats a quess.

Jerry
Keep in mind that the 12V battery for the C-Max is in the "trunk"...not in the engine compartment.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #1979

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straatc View Post
I was looking at the ScanGauge but went with Torque Pro app for Android instead. I ordered the Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for $22 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spent the big bucks for the pro version of the app (I think it was $5). I was so impressed with it I bought a refurbished 10" tablet that I mounted on the dash just for it. All together it cost less than the ScanGauge. But the cool factor is a 10!!! I am trying to post a few pictures, but to see it in action there are several videos on Youtube. I have mine to show many things in addition to mileage. Such as vacuum, throttle position, engine load, fuel flow, compass, altimeter, and more. It does not need to be on a network for all that to work. Because it is a tablet, when it is on line I also get weather radar, gas buddy, and backup navigation. I works well and it looks awesome on the dash, but you could just use your android phone.
That is cool
I love gadgets like this ..
Old 08-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #1980

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
I will most likely do this but the bedroom ac will be powered by its own 20 amp cord that will have to be plugged in at the pedestal. So this ac will not work on gen power and if the pedestal doesnt have a 30 and 20 amp it cant be used.

Jerry

I am looking to install the Atwood 13500 btu unit in the rear on my ace it supposed to be equal to 15000. Btu and only uses 11 amps at full load.they claim that you can run 2 on 30 amp service..my front unit is a 15000 btu it draws 14.9 amps so you could if needed run both off 30 amps but nothing else.the Atwood is supposed to be the quietest unit on the market and it has a net feature called dry mode that dehumanizes where the blower runs and the compressor turns on and off the pull moisture out....