Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #2501

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Forgot to mention I went to the AF Museum back in the 90’s with my stepfather, retired AF pilot with 28 years of service. My stepfather was very unique in the fact that he flew in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

When we toured the museum it was amazing, he had flow many of the types of aircraft on display over his long career. One aircraft was particularly interesting, a Douglas C-47 Gooney Bird. As we were looking at the Gooney aircraft a museum guide came up, my stepfather asked if they had the logbooks for this aircraft, they did. After inspecting the logs he found his name, he had at one time flow this exact aircraft during its development as an “Electric Gooney” for use in Vietnam. Needless to say my time there was very interesting and educational!!!

Old 01-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #2502

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
It’s a great place. My old outfit had a reunion there about 7 years ago and they set up tables under the SR-71 to have our reunion dinner. Most of us there had read film off of that bird for many years. Magical. If you like that you will love the new two hanger addition to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum on Dulles Airfield. It is amazing and they have RV parking. Well worth a stop if you drive near DC.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:07 AM   #2503
Red

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Ohio
THOR #10451
I would like to check out the Dulles location. We'll add it to our destination list.

It's been a very long time. The AF Museum at WPAFB just built a third hanger, the presidential aircraft and experimentals are housed there along with a Shuttle simulator. It's much different now than even a couple years ago.

I would have loved to have been present for the revelation of personal connection with the plains, am sure it was educational and emotional.

Great to connect and have a warm evening.

Kevin
2011 BMW M3 Convertible
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #2504

Model: Windsport 29M
State: California
THOR #8977
Weekend mods

Met Pengoquin this weekend and toured his modified 29M and was inspired to fix the soft shower floor in mine too. Well, several hours later, success. My shower floor is now nice and solid. Also added a USB port on the back side of the bed - (my side), a chrome tip on the gen exhaust and several pockets for the DW to store her iPad, phone, etc.

Shower support - as has been posted before - there is access under the shower in the right rear wheel well. Extend your Lippert jacks and then raise up the rear of the coach on manual as much as possible. I found it helpful to throw an old sheet over the greasy wheels. Remove access panel and measure 2x then cut wood to support the huge hole that Thor cut for the drain. My wood support was approx 5” x 7”. I put a 1/4” cushion on this piece of wood and then cut 2 vertical support that held the 5x7 in place. Screwed angle brackets into where the supports meet each other and now the floor is reinforced. It was a real jigsaw puzzle and PIA - but it was solved. Photo shows the panel to access the shower drain in the wheel well.

USB port was wired into the 12v supply for the outside kitchen light. The wires were accessable under the bed where your pillow would go - 2 screws! (Looks like I need to touch up the underside of the port where the wood hole is visible - oh well - no one sees behind the bed except me!)

Chrome exhaust tip was the same one referenced in this thread early on. Bought on Amazon. Just had to trim about 4-5” of the original pipe off using a cutting wheel. Easy peazy. Great idea to whoever did it here first.

The pockets for the DW were available on eBay from somewhere in SE Asia - they were designed to go between the front car seat and the center console. Less than $10. DW didn’t need a full “armrest” some have installed. Tried to find something that matched the trim already in the coach. Mounted using 3 self tapping screws each.

Have a list of 25 other more expensive mods I want to do - thanks mostly to this thread - now to get the $$ for all of them. Just booked Grand Canyon & Sedona for April.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A5A91118-7569-4CEA-B969-37177A03C1E0.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	8567   Click image for larger version

Name:	F86BA41D-7FEF-4570-B068-3DD6064DD8EB.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	8568  

Name:	742C020E-CA51-466D-BE4B-533C7F8E01D3.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	8569   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA54F254-C738-4742-A56E-11F01A308C41.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	8570  

Eeeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #2505

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Nice Job Eeeride!

I must've missed the shower floor mod the first time around, so I need to consider that when I get my MH back from warranty work.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:29 AM   #2506

THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Little follow up on the neck surgery for those who are interested. Doc says i can do what ever i want now. So golf is in my future. Ill hit the range first to see how it feels to swing a club again. Its been two years. Time to get off my butt and get active again

Jerry

That’s good news Jerry
I been away from the site for a bit but still have my 29M
Has anyone bought an extra slide motor to keep in the coach in the event of a failure?
Lance

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 AM   #2507

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
That’s good news Jerry
I been away from the site for a bit but still have my 29M
Has anyone bought an extra slide motor to keep in the coach in the event of a failure?
Lance
Hey Lance,
How have you been?? Yes its been a while since you've been around here. Have you done anything to your mh. I'm free anytime to help you out. Just let me know.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 AM   #2508

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeride View Post
Met Pengoquin this weekend and toured his modified 29M and was inspired to fix the soft shower floor in mine too. Well, several hours later, success. My shower floor is now nice and solid. Also added a USB port on the back side of the bed - (my side), a chrome tip on the gen exhaust and several pockets for the DW to store her iPad, phone, etc.

Shower support - as has been posted before - there is access under the shower in the right rear wheel well. Extend your Lippert jacks and then raise up the rear of the coach on manual as much as possible. I found it helpful to throw an old sheet over the greasy wheels. Remove access panel and measure 2x then cut wood to support the huge hole that Thor cut for the drain. My wood support was approx 5” x 7”. I put a 1/4” cushion on this piece of wood and then cut 2 vertical support that held the 5x7 in place. Screwed angle brackets into where the supports meet each other and now the floor is reinforced. It was a real jigsaw puzzle and PIA - but it was solved. Photo shows the panel to access the shower drain in the wheel well.

USB port was wired into the 12v supply for the outside kitchen light. The wires were accessable under the bed where your pillow would go - 2 screws! (Looks like I need to touch up the underside of the port where the wood hole is visible - oh well - no one sees behind the bed except me!)

Chrome exhaust tip was the same one referenced in this thread early on. Bought on Amazon. Just had to trim about 4-5” of the original pipe off using a cutting wheel. Easy peazy. Great idea to whoever did it here first.

The pockets for the DW were available on eBay from somewhere in SE Asia - they were designed to go between the front car seat and the center console. Less than $10. DW didn’t need a full “armrest” some have installed. Tried to find something that matched the trim already in the coach. Mounted using 3 self tapping screws each.

Have a list of 25 other more expensive mods I want to do - thanks mostly to this thread - now to get the $$ for all of them. Just booked Grand Canyon & Sedona for April.
Im not quire following what you did to the shower floor. Do you have anymore pics.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-18-2018, 04:34 AM   #2509

THOR #4312
Quote:
Hey Lance,

How have you been?? Yes its been a while since you've been around here. Have you done anything to your mh. I'm free anytime to help you out. Just let me know.

Jerry

Been behaving myself for the most part Haha. I love old stuff so I bought a 1978 Class C 20’ (Minnie Winnie style) that I fixed up and sold recently as far as the 29M I haven’t done much to it . We took it out last month for 3 days at Bolsa Chica state beach

Be a blessing to someone
Old 01-18-2018, 05:30 AM   #2510

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Jerry,
The shower floor in my and other 29M's is soft around the drain, when you stand on the drain showering. This is due to the HUGE hole cut for the shower drain trap. Several of us have "fixed" this soft spot by accessing the drain trap thru the passenger rear tire well and supporting the tub with some carefully measured and very painfully installed wood supports.
You can see the access panel by looking up from the top of the passenger Rear wheel. I'm sure Red will get back to you with his photos, but in the meantime, I'll look for the area of the forum that I posted mine and get back to you.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:37 AM   #2511

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Oops, sorry it wasn't Red you asked it was Eeeride.

Here is the link to the thread about the 29M soft shower floor. Look at #11 for my fixes. I got the idea from someone elses post in the same thread.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...loor-8691.html

Hope this helps
RPT
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:16 AM   #2512

THOR #8977
Recie said it better and has photos to prove it! Documenting the repair due to the small hole and zero tolerances do not allow for adequate pics. As Recie said, one piece of wood cut to support floor and then two vertical pieces to support that one. If your shower floor feels fine.....don’t worry about it.
Eeeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #2513

THOR #3156
Thanks guys for the shower info.

Decided to finally put the awning cover on the rear bracket. I mentioned several months ago the cover came off and Thor sent me placements for for both front and rear.

The covers just snap on. The Thor rep i spoke with suggested putting some silicone on the seam to hopefully prevent it from coming off again. To remove the bracket ill have to cut the bead of silicone.

While i had the awning out i sprayed the hinges with CRC spray lube. No more squeaking. Thanks Dave for posted this.

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20180119_101209.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	8622Click image for larger version

Name:	20180119_101217.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	8623
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #2514

THOR #4312
Quote:
Thanks guys for the shower info.

Decided to finally put the awning cover on the rear bracket. I mentioned several months ago the cover came off and Thor sent me placements for for both front and rear.

The covers just snap on. The Thor rep i spoke with suggested putting some silicone on the seam to hopefully prevent it from coming off again. To remove the bracket ill have to cut the bead of silicone.

While i had the awning out i sprayed the hinges with CRC spray lube. No more squeaking. Thanks Dave for posted this.

JerryAttachment 8622Attachment 8623

Jerry
Have you or anyone else replaced the Leds in their awning? I think only 5-7 of my Leds work
Lance

Be a blessing to someone
Old 01-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #2515

THOR #3156
Quote:
Jerry
Have you or anyone else replaced the Leds in their awning? I think only 5-7 of my Leds work
Lance
Sorry Lance i cant help you. thankfully mine are all still working
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-20-2018, 01:38 AM   #2516

THOR #4312
Quote:
Sorry Lance i cant help you. thankfully mine are all still working

This looks like ours for future reference
https://youtu.be/Pnu12tJagLc

Be a blessing to someone
Old 01-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #2517

THOR #3156
Quote:
This looks like ours for future reference
https://youtu.be/Pnu12tJagLc

Great find Lance. If you do this let me know Ill come over and help.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #2518

State: Texas
THOR #2757
Fire extinguisher recall

Hello from Lubbock, TX

I can't remember if this subject was brought up but there is a recall going on for the KIDDE fire extinguishers. Our 2017 Thor Windsport 29M is affected. I have just completed the recall process online. Hopefully you have received your notification via USPS by now. If not, please contact Thor ASAP!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FX+ID+Image_sm.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	8650  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US_Plastic+Handle+Product+ID+Guide.pdf (253.9 KB, 94 views)

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #2519

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Hello from Lubbock, TX

I can't remember if this subject was brought up but there is a recall going on for the KIDDE fire extinguishers. Our 2017 Thor Windsport 29M is affected. I have just completed the recall process online. Hopefully you have received your notification via USPS by now. If not, please contact Thor ASAP!!!

No need to call Thor. Just follow the online instruction on the Kidde site

It took about a month to get my replacement

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-21-2018, 01:46 AM   #2520

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
I had two I turned via Kidde web site. Got them within two or three weeks.