Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #3561

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
I may have to repurpose my iPad during trips. I would use the DW’s iPad but she would jump stiff legged and I’m not tired of living just yet. Can anyone recommend a scanner that has a display that is better for viewing the rpm, speed and fuel usage? Doesn’t have to be overly technical. Thanks

Old 09-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #3562
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
I may have to repurpose my iPad during trips. I would use the DW’s iPad but she would jump stiff legged and I’m not tired of living just yet. Can anyone recommend a scanner that has a display that is better for viewing the rpm, speed and fuel usage? Doesn’t have to be overly technical. Thanks
If you have the scanner and do not like the display, you can download several different apps. Test a few out until you find one suitable for you.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #3563

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
If you have the scanner and do not like the display, you can download several different apps. Test a few out until you find one suitable for you.
I use a Scangauge.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #3564

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
There are several for sale on Amazon, make sure it’s compatible with an iPad if that’s what you use.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #3565

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Sorry for the "noob question"...I searched a few times, but couldn't find the answer

For the Hurricane/Windsport 29M, the inverter is under the bed (the board with 4 screws)

I've read that some turn the Inverter on & off fairly frequently (on for travel, off for storage, etc.).

Is there an easy way to accomplish that without removing the board with 4 screws each time?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #3566
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
Sorry for the "noob question"...I searched a few times, but couldn't find the answer

For the Hurricane/Windsport 29M, the inverter is under the bed (the board with 4 screws)

I've read that some turn the Inverter on & off fairly frequently (on for travel, off for storage, etc.).

Is there an easy way to accomplish that without removing the board with 4 screws each time?
Most inverters have a remote on/off (some display) panel for easy operation. Doesn't yours? Follow a telephone cable looking line from the inverter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #3567

THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Most inverters have a remote on/off (some display) panel for easy operation. Doesn't yours? Follow a telephone cable looking line from the inverter.
OK, thanks...I'll trace the cable today. I figured there was an easy answer that I was over looking.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #3568

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
OK, thanks...I'll trace the cable today. I figured there was an easy answer that I was over looking.
The control panel is above the air conditioner thermostat on the bathroom wall
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #3569

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Black control panelClick image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1487562643265.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	13044
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #3570

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
THOR #6863
Quote:
If I remember rightly, the inverter is only powered up when you switch it on using the small panel to the left of the bathroom door (near the thermostat). Though it may not be perfectly accurate, I also use that to get a voltage readout of the house batteries after they've been in storage for awhile. I get my reading and then I turn it back off.
Cheers!

Kent
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #3571

THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
If I remember rightly, the inverter is only powered up when you switch it on using the small panel to the left of the bathroom door (near the thermostat). Though it may not be perfectly accurate, I also use that to get a voltage readout of the house batteries after they've been in storage for awhile. I get my reading and then I turn it back off.
Cheers!

Kent
Thanks Jerry & Kent.

I do have that display (never noticed it had Xantex on it before!

I've flipped it on to get a battery reading (like Kent), but didn't realize that was the On/Off toggle switch for the Inverter.

I appreciate the education!
Old 09-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #3572

Model: Ace 29.3
THOR #6522
Good job
Old 09-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #3573

THOR #6863
Hittin' the road

Well, now that my wife officially retired 2 weeks ago, we're getting ready to hit the road. Heading across the northern parts of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma -- and then returning to SoCal with a more southern route (never been to Carlsbad Caverns). Taking about a month.

I wanted to take a moment and thank Dave, Jerry, Dino and many others for tips on preparing to take such an extensive trip. At 3,500 miles, I decided to do the first oil change. Installed a Fumoto valve (can't wait until next change to use it!) I also found that the most difficult thing I've done yet in all of the things I've done (CHF, front and rear, snap pads, etc.) -- was to add the dang motor oil!! Holy cow! What an engineering nightmare!

I remembered that Dave had mentioned in the past using a hand-pump that connected right to the 'can' of oil. A tad tedious, but no more laughable mess (or was I crying...?) In fact, for you 29M owners, if you get one of these pumps -- mine was from AutoZone for $10 -- the fill tube fits right into the dipstick tube. This allowed me to rest the oil container on top of the grill and pump away. You do want to keep a close eye on the fill tube to make certain it doesn't pop out of the dipstick tube during the pumping process. That did not happen to me. I swear. Thank you, SuperD !!

I will post if I come across things to look for with our rigs...or to confirm ideas already brought up. Said it before, but I'll say it again -- what Jerry started here has made a positive impact on all our lives. Comfort, convenience and safety.

To those of you heading to the balloon festival...enjoy! I'll wave as I go by!

Kent
Old 09-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #3574

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Texas
THOR #8449
Why are you filling the crankcase thru the dipstick tube? Remove oil filler cap and pour in (I use a funnel). No muss no fuss.Happy trails!
Old 09-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #3575

THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp1957 View Post
Why are you filling the crankcase thru the dipstick tube? Remove oil filler cap and pour in (I use a funnel). No muss no fuss.Happy trails!
Unfortunately, on the 29M the normal fill tube is way up high, underneath the shroud of the front cap. After trying a funnel, there wasn't much room to get into the body-contortion needed to raise the oil container around and above the funnel...and still maintain control of the situation.

What I have also considered would be to transfer the oil to more of a narrow, long-neck bottle -- like I've seen used with differential fluid. That, or a similar container would probably work.

I've seen numerous MH's on the F-53 chassis that have a much better designed front 'hood' where there is more than enough space to easily add oil. Your 35C front cap, however, looks identical to mine. I'm probably not as nimble as most. By the time I duck up and under the hood, I can barely crane my head to look up to where the fill cap is.

Looking with a critical eye, there is no reason that the fill tube couldn't be six inches lower. But hey...I'm not a design engineer. I did read of some pour soul who had a MH (I don't think it was a Thor product) who had to remove the front dash to access the fill tube. Crazy. He ended up taking it somewhere where they had a hook-shaped tube and a powered pump to fill the crankcase.

Cheers!
Kent
Old 09-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #3576

THOR #2817
I have an F-53 chassis and the oil filler tube is too high and in an awkward location. I tried using a screw-on plastic hose on a one quart oil container, but that took much too long. The last time I changed oil, I bought the oil in five quart containers and poured the oil into a one quart oil container with the small diameter opening. I was careful not to overfill the quart container and was able to pour the oil into the filler tube without spilling a drop. Filling the quart oil container was easy because I used a funnel.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #3577

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
Unfortunately, on the 29M the normal fill tube is way up high, underneath the shroud of the front cap. After trying a funnel, there wasn't much room to get into the body-contortion needed to raise the oil container around and above the funnel...and still maintain control of the situation.

What I have also considered would be to transfer the oil to more of a narrow, long-neck bottle -- like I've seen used with differential fluid. That, or a similar container would probably work.

I've seen numerous MH's on the F-53 chassis that have a much better designed front 'hood' where there is more than enough space to easily add oil. Your 35C front cap, however, looks identical to mine. I'm probably not as nimble as most. By the time I duck up and under the hood, I can barely crane my head to look up to where the fill cap is.

Looking with a critical eye, there is no reason that the fill tube couldn't be six inches lower. But hey...I'm not a design engineer. I did read of some pour soul who had a MH (I don't think it was a Thor product) who had to remove the front dash to access the fill tube. Crazy. He ended up taking it somewhere where they had a hook-shaped tube and a powered pump to fill the crankcase.

Cheers!
Kent
Kent I use someting like this

https://www.masterlink.ca/Home/Oil%20Buddy
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:57 PM   #3578

THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I have an F-53 chassis and the oil filler tube is too high and in an awkward location..... Filling the quart oil container was easy because I used a funnel.
That's what I was thinking...the narrow spouted container giving much more control.

Thanks!

Kent
Old 09-30-2018, 12:01 AM   #3579

THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmblaster View Post

Oooo...I like the looks of that! I think I had something similar years ago that I used for filling lanterns with white gas. I'm assuming that you get it into position and then apply downward pressure.

Great tip! Thanks!

Kent
Old 09-30-2018, 12:17 AM   #3580

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmblaster View Post

Does the oil pour out of the container quickly?