Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #3801

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Is the top of the slide tight against the wall? The slide awning is above the top of the slide, so water would have a hard time running down the wall, behind the gasket, and into the coach.
Metalman,
Good question. The slide is completely in and the gasket is compressed tightly. I am thinking the system is very water resistant but not waterproof. I think with ice and snow build up together with some high winds the melt water worked its way in. I am glad you asked the question because when I was on the ladder checking it out I found another problem. It looks like some screws for the main awning bracket have worked their way out or were never tight to begin with. It never ends.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #3802

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
When you have a moment, could you give us all the stats on your monitor mod to include everything!!! LOL
Well, it took a few days, but I found it..
Monitors:
5" video monitors $25 ea. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connectors: Voyager Camera Connector Division. SKU#31300006 $20 ea.
JensenHeavyDuty.com

The connectors mated to the ones from the cameras, directly. They had 2 Rca video connections and a 12 vdc power connector, each. I made a positive and a negative terminal board to connect a 3 monitors to a single fused (10A) circuit with a switch to turn them off at will. I found a 12vdc switched source to connect to.
I removed the video collector/switcher box and connected each camera to its own monitor, cut, capped, and stowed the trigger wire.
The mount is homemade from aluminum angle and small ell brackets. Modified the plastic cover/glare shield to keep the cabling out of view and to accept mounts.

While I had the dash apart, I cleaned up Thor's ductwork installation by trimming hoses a routing. Removed about 6' ducting in various lengths. Also cut and removed about 4' extra Romex from 120VAC computer outlet on dash.

I haven't gone on a trip yet, but believe this will be better than it was.
I have photos if anyone wants to perform the same mod.

I still don't understand why the defrost air doesn't get strong, but have looked. It seems like the defroster plenum is too big and slows flow to nothing. I'm sure the damper is functioning. So far, this isn't a big problem.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #3803

THOR #8249
Just posted more details.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:24 AM   #3804

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Just posted more details.
Thanks! So now all three cameras are constantly on correct? I think the next upgrade to this project would be connecting it to a dvr.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:04 AM   #3805

THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Thanks! So now all three cameras are constantly on correct? I think the next upgrade to this project would be connecting it to a dvr.
Yes, all 3 cameras/monitors are on at same time and constantly. However, I thought about this and put a monitor/camera power switch into the power circuit. This way I can have them off when driving at night.

A DVR would be OK to add, however, I'd druther it be on a forward facing camera. Don't have one of those currently.

I'd like to replace the center rear camera with one that is pan and tilt, from cockpit. Don't really think zoom would be worth it.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:07 AM   #3806

THOR #1620
Quote:
Yes, all 3 cameras/monitors are on at same time and constantly. However, I thought about this and put a monitor/camera power switch into the power circuit. This way I can have them off when driving at night.

A DVR would be OK to add, however, I'd druther it be on a forward facing camera. Don't have one of those currently.

I'd like to replace the center rear camera with one that is pan and tilt, from cockpit. Don't really think zoom would be worth it.
I already have a dash cam that I use, a dvr on the other cameras can be a real plus should an accident occur along with having vision outside the coach at night.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #3807

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:

Nice mod and thanks for the additional information on the equipment used. I will take a serious look at a 3-monitor system for my rig, especially when it comes to security around the campsite and all!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:04 PM   #3808

THOR #2757
Quote:

Could you take some pictures of the mount for the monitors and explain the build process please

Old 12-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #3809

THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Could you take some pictures of the mount for the monitors and explain the build process please

Sure. Give me a bit time, but remind with a PM if I haven't in a week or so. I'm getting low on useable brain cells.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #3810

THOR #2757
Quote:
Sure. Give me a bit time, but remind with a PM if I haven't in a week or so. I'm getting low on useable brain cells.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #3811

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
<2018 Hurricane 29M>

Is there a way (or mod) to provide a way to fill up the fresh water tank while connected to city water, without having to use the filler port?

Also, is there an overflow on the fresh water tank in case I over fill?
Old 01-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #3812

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.irwin.59@gmail.com View Post
<2018 Hurricane 29M>

Is there a way (or mod) to provide a way to fill up the fresh water tank while connected to city water, without having to use the filler port?

Some rv's have a lever to direct to tank or freshwater use I dont know if your model has it or not but I am assuming no. There is an over flow on the onboard tank though, right below the spout you should see a little round hole or screen about 1/2" diameter, that is the over flow.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:21 AM   #3813

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
<2018 Hurricane 29M>

All you need to do - to fill the water tank is to bypass the water pump with a ball valve in the bypass. Since my water pump is under the kitchen sink and the tank is in the basement compartment under the sink, it was easy. A couple of shark bite tee fittings, 20" of 1/2" blue PEX and a ball valve. I put the ball valve next to the tank outlet and taped it to the feed line to hold it into place.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:14 AM   #3814

THOR #2757
Quote:
<2018 Hurricane 29M>

The answer to your first question is no, the answer to your second question is yes!! You can view both hoses to your fresh water tank by removing the cushions and board from your dining table bench.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:07 AM   #3815

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Cleaned the roof and noticed a few spots where the dicor looked like it was cracking. So ordered 4 tubes from Amazon. Waited for a nice sunny day and went to work. Scrubbed and the spots first then dicor. Went through one tube fast but that's all i needed

If you check yours dont forget to remove your vent covers. The one over the kitchen had several cracks. I didnt have any leaks and dont want any. Dicor is cheap insurance

Jerry
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_145012.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	14890Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_145033.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	14891Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_145102.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	14892Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_145125.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	14893
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #3816

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Cleaned the roof and noticed a few spots where the dicor looked like it was cracking. So ordered 4 tubes from Amazon. Waited for a nice sunny day and went to work. Scrubbed and the spots first then dicor. Went through one tube fast but that's all i needed

If you check yours dont forget to remove your vent covers. The one over the kitchen had several cracks. I didnt have any leaks and dont want any. Dicor is cheap insurance

Jerry
Attachment 14890Attachment 14891Attachment 14892Attachment 14893

Good job my friend!!!!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #3817

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #7902
Quote:
<2018 Hurricane 29M>

I have a problem that is right up this line. While in AZ, we had very cold weather (22 degrees one night) and I noticed water coming out of the overflow in the gravity water fill. Turned off the city water and the overflow stopped. Storage tank was only about 1/4 full when we left home, and now it was full to over flowing. With the city water still turned off, I ran the water pump for a short time, and then turned the city water back on. No more water going to storage tank. The day before we left, I took off the city water hose so I could put it storage and not deal with it in the cold morning. Now, when I run the water pump, it goes out the city water fill! There must be a valve that controls which water (storage or city) goes where, and I think mine has gone bad.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you have to do to correct it?
Old 01-07-2019, 02:33 AM   #3818

THOR #7902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makerofsawdust View Post
I have a problem that is right up this line. While in AZ, we had very cold weather (22 degrees one night) and I noticed water coming out of the overflow in the gravity water fill. Turned off the city water and the overflow stopped. Storage tank was only about 1/4 full when we left home, and now it was full to over flowing. With the city water still turned off, I ran the water pump for a short time, and then turned the city water back on. No more water going to storage tank. The day before we left, I took off the city water hose so I could put it storage and not deal with it in the cold morning. Now, when I run the water pump, it goes out the city water fill! There must be a valve that controls which water (storage or city) goes where, and I think mine has gone bad.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you have to do to correct it?
SOLVED: Anyone want to guess what happens if you put the little wire mesh filter in the wrong way? It holds the little valve in the city water inlet open. Turned wire mesh around, problem gone.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:07 AM   #3819

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makerofsawdust View Post
SOLVED: Anyone want to guess what happens if you put the little wire mesh filter in the wrong way? It holds the little valve in the city water inlet open. Turned wire mesh around, problem gone.
what wire mesh. Pics please
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #3820

THOR #7902
As you can see from the picture, the wire mesh screen is not flat. If you put it in the City Water Connection the wrong way, screen protruding into connection, it will open the reverse flow valve inside. You must put this wire mesh screen in with the screen protruding out towards you.

The water inlet elbow i had connected became frozen. When I took it off this screen was frozen to the elbow and came out when I removed it. I thawed out the screen and didn't realize that it had to go back in a certain way.

It occurred to me last night that maybe the screen had something to do with my problem. Went out and checked, and sure enough it was in there the wrong way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190107_115956.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	14962   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_120245.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	14963  

Name:	20190107_120343.jpg