Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2019, 10:57 PM   #3901

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
We always leave sasha our 6 lb yorkie in the mh when we go out to places where she's not allowed in

Been trying to come up with a reasonably priced system to keep an eye on her and some security for the mh

We recently got unlimited data with verizon. So using marias cell as a hotspot i connected 2 wyze cameras. Wasnt sure if the hotspot would work. The cameras need wifi and need 110 power. It doesnt have a battery

Well they do work but lose connection at times and the liveview is a little delayed

Plan is to have one in the mh facing from the dash to the bedroom. The other one id like to plug into the outside outlet with an extension cord and have it face the front door. The camera will notify you of any motion so i dont want it facing the road or campground. Dont need an alert everytime someone walks or drives by the mh. Only if they walk to the door

Only tried it in the house so far. Will be interesting to see if it works at a campground. Hopefully our verizon signal is always 5 bars

HDMI Switch,GANA 3 Port 4K HDMI... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G2YR23M...p_mob_ap_share

My sister has these cameras at her house. They work well for $25. The app is free and they store the video for 14 days for free

Jerry

I just went down this road last week. Installed two Wyze cameras. Both are in the dash area - one faces out the front windshield and the other into the coach.

I have sound and motion alerts turned on for the interior camera. Both are plugged into 12v under the workstation tray.

Currently I have the interior camera looking at a 4-zone thermometer so I can see the temp (inside, outside and both water bays).

So far so good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1641.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	15449

Old 02-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #3902

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannclan View Post
Anyone replace their house batteries? We are going on a 5 month trip soon and are going to replace 2017 original batteries with Interstate group 27 DC batteries and would like some feed back good or bad.
thanks.
For what it's worth, I sold my OEM Harris batteries on CL for $95 for the pair while they were still decent (after reading about the potential issues, which not everyone has experienced...like Jerry).

Because my batteries are not easily removed for proper conditioning at home (our MH is stored elsewhere), I made the decision to go AGM. No more water level issues; no more drastic voltage drops while in storage (not good on a battery). My 2 cents.

BTW, our local Costco no longer has the 3 yr, no-questions-asked warranty. I believe it's now 12 months.

Cheers!
Kent
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #3903

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I replaced the original batteries with deep cycle AGMs from Batteries Plus Bulbs. They have held up well for about two years and hold their charge much better than flooded lead-acid batteries. I store the motor home with a maintainer specifically designed for AGM batteries and also installed a disconnect on the negative posts to remove all loads from the battery when storing. The fact that the batteries are maintenance free is nice.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #3904

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Batteries: Costco vs Sam's Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
BTW, our local Costco no longer has the 3 yr, no-questions-asked warranty. I believe it's now 12 months.
Thanks for clarifying that point

I stand corrected regarding changes in the COSTCO warranty since their recent switch to Interstate
COSTCO now offers a 12 month free replacement on their Interstate Battery

However...SAM's Club still offers a 36 month replacement with their Duracell Brand.
And SAM's does stock the 6 volt lead acid in many club locations
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Duracell 36 month.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	15463  
Old 02-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #3905

THOR #6863
Inexpensive mod

Not sure if something like this has been shared in the past (this self-help novel that Jerry started is getting huge!), but a friend of mine did this in his travel trailer. It makes that narrow closet by the bed a little more useful...at least for me. Great for storing sandals, underwear, socks...whatever. Just nothing too heavy.

Got this on our trip this past fall while in Alamogordo, NM, at the Walmart. Went with the wider version and it fits perfectly, side-to-side. I wasn't really worried about the length. As you can see from the picture, the bottom compartments just stack neatly out of the way. I suppose you could trim them off with a heavy duty pair of scissors.

I don't think it was more than $10. The one I got has wide velcro 'hangers' that you connect over the closet rod. As always, measure before you buy!

Cheers!
Kent

I just checked and I believe this what I got --
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can...1a&athena=true
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190131_121605.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	15467  
Old 02-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #3906

THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Thanks for clarifying that point

I stand corrected regarding changes in the COSTCO warranty since their recent switch to Interstate
COSTCO now offers a 12 month free replacement on their Interstate Battery

However...SAM's Club still offers a 36 month replacement with their Duracell Brand.
And SAM's does stock the 6 volt lead acid in many club locations

Sam's also sells the Duracell AGM's for a great price!

Kent
Old 02-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #3907

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Not sure if something like this has been shared in the past (this self-help novel that Jerry started is getting huge!), but a friend of mine did this in his travel trailer. It makes that narrow closet by the bed a little more useful...at least for me. Great for storing sandals, underwear, socks...whatever. Just nothing too heavy.

Got this on our trip this past fall while in Alamogordo, NM, at the Walmart. Went with the wider version and it fits perfectly, side-to-side. I wasn't really worried about the length. As you can see from the picture, the bottom compartments just stack neatly out of the way. I suppose you could trim them off with a heavy duty pair of scissors.

I don't think it was more than $10. The one I got has wide velcro 'hangers' that you connect over the closet rod. As always, measure before you buy!

Cheers!

Kent

Kent,
When we first got the mh Maria put several of these in the big closet. Almost broke the closet rod. After a little fighting i finaly convinced her to put heavy stuff on the bottom. They do work well

They are a gone now. She rearranges that closet after each trip. She has enough clothes in there to last a year

I have the two drawers below the tv and the night stand closet to the bathroom wall. Maria has everything else, just like the house. I only sleep in the bedroom and have to use the guest room for my clothes

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #3908

THOR #6863
Quote:
...I only sleep in the bedroom and have to use the guest room for my clothes

Jerry
I feel for you, brother! Remember, you also have the 29M outside in case you ever get in really bad trouble!

Kent
Old 02-02-2019, 12:57 AM   #3909

THOR #3156
hey i thought about that a few times. Seems im always in trouble
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #3910

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:

Cheers!
Kent

Sweet mod...guess I am going to Walmart today!!!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #3911

THOR #2757
Quote:
Kent,
When we first got the mh Maria put several of these in the big closet. Almost broke the closet rod. After a little fighting i finaly convinced her to put heavy stuff on the bottom. They do work well

They are a gone now. She rearranges that closet after each trip. She has enough clothes in there to last a year

I have the two drawers below the tv and the night stand closet to the bathroom wall. Maria has everything else, just like the house. I only sleep in the bedroom and have to use the guest room for my clothes

Jerry

Old 02-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #3912

THOR #2757
Dino & Jerry (LOL)

Partners in crime for sure!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DINO AND JERRY.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	15490  

Old 02-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #3913

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Sure been enjoying our great weather this last week, -21 temp and -48 wind chill, and 8 inches of snow. The wind was blowing so hard I didn’t even bother to clear off the driveway, after getting hit in the face with the first blast I turned around and went back inside! It normally takes Myra 45 minutes to drive to work, Friday took 2 hours. I sure do miss Texas!!!
Old 02-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #3914

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I can understand your pain. It's been tough here in FL too. We had a low of +41 the other morning. ha
Old 02-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #3915

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
That’s why I live in Houston. Mid 70’s today.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #3916

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
I'm starting this thread to keep track of the mods I do to the Hurricane. Hopefully someone will benefit from it.

So we've had the Hurricane at home for a week now. Its loaded up and bed sheets are on their way from Amazon.

Did two mods today. When driving home from the dealer the helm area was very hot. The big windows really brings in lots of heat. So this was first on the list.

To keep the dash a/c in the helm area we installed a curtain behind the passenger/driver seats. By doing this the cold air will stay here and not travell to the rest of the mh

I used 1" wooden dowel, $6 at Lowes, and blackout curtains from walmart, $9 each needed 3. To hang the rod we used 2 towel racks that we used on our 5th. Cant use them on the hurricane because it has sliding doors. Total about $35

To help keep the mh cooler when camping in high heat areas i bought a 4'x25' roll of Reflextic insulation, $44 at Lowes. It refects the sun away from the mh and blocks it from coming in. Put it on the front windshield, both side windows and the two bedroom windows. I need to buy another 10' roll to cover the livingroom dining room windows. When not in use they will be stored on the overhead bunk

Will probably store the curtains there as well

The mh a/c blows very cold but it doesnt circulate very well. So we bought a fan at costco. Its super quite and moves a ton of air pushing to cold throughout the mh. $45 well spent.

I'm post more as I get things done
does your coach have the 2 roof ac option?? I just picked up a 2019 with the dual ac's I had a 27b with only one... wasn't even hot out and it was struggling, and fought the one ac in my 24.1 vegas did all the mods but still not enough for the havasu heat..
Old 02-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #3917

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
has anyone with a 29m moved the TV in the front area...???
Old 02-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #3918

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
does your coach have the 2 roof ac option?? I just picked up a 2019 with the dual ac's I had a 27b with only one... wasn't even hot out and it was struggling, and fought the one ac in my 24.1 vegas did all the mods but still not enough for the havasu heat..

I have a 31Z Hurricane and live in the Houston area. I knew that two a/c’s were a must. I feel it’s better to have too much than not enough IMO.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #3919

THOR #14120
Jeff does some mods....call 911 or the good, the bad and the ugly. It finally stopped raining so I wanted to get a few things done. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	15504Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1963.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	15505
Got all my windows covered with heat deflector. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1954.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	15506snap on. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1951.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	15507
Quick Margarita
Now the ugly

Name:	IMG_1953.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	15508
Both rear leveling feet are bent. Not sure how I did that.
Good news is I did level the MH in manual mode. The bad news is it looks like this

Name:	IMG_1957.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	15509Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1959.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	15510
The passengers rear leveler is not touching the ground. Let the laughing begin.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #3920

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
Stock mine is 30amp with 1 ac but i added a second ac in the bedroom

Jerry
FMCA # F464385