Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #3961
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I found a great deal on a 2018 Jeep Cherokee. Trying to find out if it can be flat towed. Looked on the internet but the information was a little confusing. I know it has to be 4X4 but I found it also needs a 2 speed transfer case? Not sure what that is. I also found it just needs to be a 4X4. Anyone know what I should be looking for. Thanks
Did you google the owner's manual and see what it says? Just search for "2018 Jeep Cherokee owner's manual" all your questions will be answered.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #3962

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Found it. Thanks
Old 02-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #3963

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
I found a great deal on a 2018 Jeep Cherokee. Trying to find out if it can be flat towed. Looked on the internet but the information was a little confusing. I know it has to be 4X4 but I found it also needs a 2 speed transfer case? Not sure what that is. I also found it just needs to be a 4X4. Anyone know what I should be looking for. Thanks
You need what Jeep calls ActiveDrive II, which is a transfer case that has a Neutral position. All Trailhawks have it and you will find a few in non Trailhawk models, but those aren’t that common. The way to determine if the Jeep has it is to look for the recessed button (the kind you use a pencil tip to push), a small LED and an “N” to the right below the Mode knob. If its not there, it doesn’t have ActiveDrive II and can’t be flat towed. Attached is a picture of my 2017 Trailhawk. Excuse the dirt - its winter time here.

A 2018 also requires the Flat Tow Kit (aka the Death Wobble Cable) to keep the power steering alive when you are towing. There is a cable that powers the power steering under the hood and a switch that goes in the console that is used to tell the ECM not to panic about the PS being powered with the ignition off. The cable has a fuse you have to put in and take out before and after towing. I added a switch inside in series with the fuse so I can leave it in.

The cable has been hard to find, but eventually a Jeep dealer will get one for you. It’s a job that can be self installed if you are mechanically inclined. Not all that hard of a job, but you do have to pull the console and intercept and splice some wiring under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	563244B3-8DCE-4B4A-9CA7-DEEAD98F8B1F.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	15610  
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #3964

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
You need what Jeep calls ActiveDrive II, which is a transfer case that has a Neutral position. All Trailhawks have it and you will find a few in non Trailhawk models, but those aren’t that common. The way to determine if the Jeep has it is to look for the recessed button (the kind you use a pencil tip to push), a small LED and an “N” to the right below the Mode knob. If its not there, it doesn’t have ActiveDrive II and can’t be flat towed. Attached is a picture of my 2017 Trailhawk. Excuse the dirt - its winter time here.

A 2018 also requires the Flat Tow Kit (aka the Death Wobble Cable) to keep the power steering alive when you are towing. There is a cable that powers the power steering under the hood and a switch that goes in the console that is used to tell the ECM not to panic about the PS being powered with the ignition off. The cable has a fuse you have to put in and take out before and after towing. I added a switch inside in series with the fuse so I can leave it in.

The cable has been hard to find, but eventually a Jeep dealer will get one for you. It’s a job that can be self installed if you are mechanically inclined. Not all that hard of a job, but you do have to pull the console and intercept and splice some wiring under the hood.
I am so not mechanical inclined my wife won’t let me shop at IKEA. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #3965

Model: Hurricane
State: Alabama
THOR #14362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
If you decide to use Eternabond take care cause this is a permanent application!!

I would like to hear from someone who has used this and if it will hold up for the life of the TPO roof. If so, it would be better than scraping old caulking every few years.
Mike from Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #3966

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: Kansas
THOR #11164
Mike,

I have used it to replace tears and holes in my roof. It works well and holds up as well as TPO. When it touches the roof, very hard to move so place it accurately
Old 02-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #3967
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
It is the first thing I did with our new unit put it on all seams worked well on the last unit for over 10 years
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #3968

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Thanks, this is helpful - did you have to pull off all the old caulking before using the Eternabond? Our 2018 has some caulk cracking and it's only 1.5 years old. Had it inspected at CW while in for other issues and find that we are staring at a $1600 bill for remove and replace caulking on the total roof. Wish the dealer would have allowed us to inspect the roof before signing (liability issue they claimed - yup, they were liable to not sell the unit had I seen the caulking wear!!!). I'll have to look in the product as I'm not going to keep going through this every couple of years!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #3969

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Thanks, this is helpful - did you have to pull off all the old caulking before using the Eternabond? Our 2018 has some caulk cracking and it's only 1.5 years old. Had it inspected at CW while in for other issues and find that we are staring at a $1600 bill for remove and replace caulking on the total roof. Wish the dealer would have allowed us to inspect the roof before signing (liability issue they claimed - yup, they were liable to not sell the unit had I seen the caulking wear!!!). I'll have to look in the product as I'm not going to keep going through this every couple of years!
I had a few cracks in the caulking. I just cleaned them and put self leveling Dicor on them. I dont know why the old caulking needs to be removed. I guess if the problem continues or is real bad eterbabond would be a better fix

Ive seen people apply the eternabond over old caulking but not sure thats the proper way to do it
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #3970

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Here are a couple of Eternabond roof sealing videos from LoveYourRV. These data back to 2015/16 and he hasn't posted any updates, which I think he would have done if there were issues

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #3971

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: Kansas
THOR #11164
Thank you for sharing those videos!

Does anyone here tow a Subaru Forester (2014-18) six speed manual?
If so, how does it tow?

Has anyone compared the Roadmaster to Demco for tow bar set up?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Ole
Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #3972

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
...Has anyone compared the Roadmaster to Demco for tow bar set

Ole........

I've not played with the RM but own the big Demco (10k lbs?) I have no complaints.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:21 PM   #3973

Model: Hurricane
State: Alabama
THOR #14362
Eternabond tape question: Mike from Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from Alabama View Post
I would like to hear from someone who has used this and if it will hold up for the life of the TPO roof. If so, it would be better than scraping old caulking every few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I had a few cracks in the caulking. I just cleaned them and put self leveling Dicor on them. I dont know why the old caulking needs to be removed. I guess if the problem continues or is real bad eterbabond would be a better fix

Ive seen people apply the eternabond over old caulking but not sure thats the proper way to do it
Thanks for the replies, Now the only question will have to be to the dealer or warranty provider. If it does not void the warranty, I believe Eternabond Tape will beat scraping every few years. THANKS!
Mike from Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #3974

THOR #14120
Plan to install my Tire Minder 1A1 TPMS system this weekend. It looks like I will be able to connect to the house batteries. My question is where is the best place to install the Signal Booster? I can go as far back as the rear license plate holder from under the RV. Is that to far back? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #3975

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Plan to install my Tire Minder 1A1 TPMS system this weekend. It looks like I will be able to connect to the house batteries. My question is where is the best place to install the Signal Booster? I can go as far back as the rear license plate holder from under the RV. Is that to far back? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
It doesn't have to go back very far reach the dolly/toad. The generator and propane tank seem to block the transmission from the left rear coach tires. My signal booster sits in the compartment under the bathroom sink and reaches the dolly without a problem. There is a removable panel there where the wires to the coach control panel run. I just tapped into the water heater's power wire.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #3976

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I installed it by the rear lic plate. Ran the wires along the drivers side and tied into the power/ ground from the rear cargo bay light

I do lose contact to the rear jeep tire on rare occisions. Maybe moving it forward of the gen would stop this. Tire minder says the rear lic plate is the best place. So i would say install where its easier for you

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #3977

THOR #14120
Quote:
I installed it by the rear lic plate. Ran the wires along the drivers side and tied into the power/ ground from the rear cargo bay light

I do lose contact to the rear jeep tire on rare occisions. Maybe moving it forward of the gen would stop this. Tire minder says the rear lic plate is the best place. So i would say install where its easier for you

Jerry
Thanks Jerry. It is going to be super easy to come off the house batteries and go down the passenger side to the lic plate. I can see the bottom holes are not being used for the lic plate so my plan is to use those.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:55 AM   #3978

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
Quote:
Thanks Jerry. It is going to be super easy to come off the house batteries and go down the passenger side to the lic plate. I can see the bottom holes are not being used for the lic plate so my plan is to use those.

Well done!!!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #3979

THOR #2757
Quote:

Jerry
I have the TST 507 TPMS and placed the repeater on the inside of the rear cap near the license plate mount.

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #3980

THOR #2757
Stairwell Cover

I saw several comments on the Thor Windsport/Hurricane Motorhome Owners Facebook page concerning stairwell covers in our RVs. This is what I created for my stairwell. I measured and cut 1-inch plywood, stained it and glued and stapled a doormat rug on the top. Applied velcro on the back of the dinette wall and cover to keep the cover secured while traveling
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stairwell 001.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	15763   Click image for larger version

Name:	stairwell 002.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	15764  

Name:	stairwell 003.jpg