Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2017, 04:24 AM   #281

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
GMC, I saw those bulbs, don't remember why I didn't order them, happy with what I got and the color.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:27 AM   #282

THOR #5196
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1790.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	3724

This is a table cover I made. The table top is so slick nothing stays put. The material is a thin felt and has a shock cord with adjustment sewed in to keep it tight. Removable and washable. Sorry the picture is turned sideways but you get the idea.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #283

THOR #5196

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	3725

Dino, here is the ski mirror I repurposed so I can see Myra when she's up or sitting at the dinette. The mirror has a suction cup that let me attach it to the top of the dash, got it from Amazon, had it for several years collecting dust in the garage. Don't know why my pictures are posting sideways, they aren't that way in the photo album!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #284

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Outside TV

The previous owner of my Windsport did not orde with outside TV and I had a chance today to look at installing one. Removed the outside speaker by entrance door as next to that is where the TV would have been and to my pleasant surprise there was the HDMI cable and coax. Rerouted it to the outside cabinet behind the passenger side tire mounted it on a folding slid out tray works great. I can watch over antenna, park cable, and direct tv
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	3740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	3741  

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #285

THOR #5196
Don, looks like a great job! You were very lucky the coax and HDMI cables were there!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #286

THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Don, looks like a great job! You were very lucky the coax and HDMI cables were there!

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 01-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #287

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Did my first oil change today on the mh. All went well except for the 1/2-3/4 quarts of oil i spilled on the driveway. I did not want to balance the oil pan on the frame rail so i put it on the ground and used a funnel to direct the oil. Well i wasnt paying attention and the funnel over flowed and stupid me didnt have the pan directly under the funnel. Adjusted the best i could which worked but the damage was already done

Anytime i crawl under the mh or car i place a throw away towel on the ground first. A lot of the oil was contained by the towel. I also had a bunch of paper towels there so i used them as well

Installed the Fumoto drain plug and Ford filter. Think i already posted this but here it is again. Amazon sells the Ford filters for $2.60 each. I got 5.

Adding the new oil is a little bit of a pain. You have to use quarts the 5 quart jug cant get to the fill spout. But over all it filled wasy just took a little time

Jerry

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #288

THOR #3156
Forget to add. After loosening the oil filter i used a 2 liter soda bottle with the top cut off to finish unscrewing the filter. I let the filter fall to the bottom of the bottle and let the oil finish draining. When done the bottle had about 1 inch of room left. Next time i will cut the bottle a little closer to the top. But it worked great

I also lubed 8 of the 9 zerk fittings for the front end. I could not get to one of them. I maybe be able to if i turn the steering wheel. Ill check that out at another time. They all took grease!!!! So you guys may want to get them checked

Jerry

FMCA # F464385
Old 01-18-2017, 12:31 AM   #289
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
At least you won't need the funnel next time with the fumoto drain plug installed now... I have one more messy oil change to do so I can install that too. Last one I caught all the oil - with the pan on the axle/frame rail... getting the pan out was where I did my damage. Half a bag of kitty litter (non-clumping), a broom, and a few days later - all was fine...

Will definitely try the 2 liter bottle for the filter next time.

Not sure which fitting you couldn't get to... Turning the wheel does help with the upper ball joints. Of course that is easier with the wheels hanging... (jack stands to supplement the jacks).
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #290

THOR #3156
Yes upper ball joint, drivers side. I think turning the wheel will give me a better angle to attach the hose

I remember your post about the oil. Thats why i used- the funnel. If i had moved the oil pan 2 inches over it would have caught all the oil

I also found that one joint boot was ripped. Does this need replacing. Or us it not a big deal

Jerry

FMCA # F464385
Old 01-18-2017, 12:56 AM   #291
gmc

THOR #2829
Well... ripped boot lets grease out... and maybe worse - contaminants in. Will shorten the life of the ball joint. But replacing is a pain...

If you chose to let it go - check and grease it more often... both to replace grease that leaks out - and the fresh grease will push out any contaminants.

Not sure if you can just get a replacement boot - if you can - can extend the life of that joint. But still have to take apart the ball joint to replace the boot. The 'fork' tool to separate the joint is a requirement for cars - and I suspect even more so here. Tried doing tie rod ends on an old Dodge without it - gave up and rented the tool which then took about 30 seconds to separate it.

I expect it will be a pricey repair to have done - unless your warranty or service plan will cover.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:58 AM   #292

THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Forget to add. After loosening the oil filter i used a 2 liter soda bottle with the top cut off to finish unscrewing the filter. I let the filter fall to the bottom of the bottle and let the oil finish draining. When done the bottle had about 1 inch of room left. Next time i will cut the bottle a little closer to the top. But it worked great

I also lubed 8 of the 9 zerk fittings for the front end. I could not get to one of them. I maybe be able to if i turn the steering wheel. Ill check that out at another time. They all took grease!!!! So you guys may want to get them checked

Jerry

I returned Sunday from my first trip after the CHF being done I climb under just to see if anything came lose or any suspension rubs I noticed same thing joints were dry, to shop next weeks for a good lubing thanks for the reminder

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 01-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #293

THOR #3156
Number 7 is the one I can not access.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ford Lube Points.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	3747  
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-18-2017, 01:03 AM   #294

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Well... ripped boot lets grease out... and maybe worse - contaminants in. Will shorten the life of the ball joint. But replacing is a pain...

If you chose to let it go - check and grease it more often... both to replace grease that leaks out - and the fresh grease will push out any contaminants.

Not sure if you can just get a replacement boot - if you can - can extend the life of that joint. But still have to take apart the ball joint to replace the boot. The 'fork' tool to separate the joint is a requirement for cars - and I suspect even more so here. Tried doing tie rod ends on an old Dodge without it - gave up and rented the tool which then took about 30 seconds to separate it.

I expect it will be a pricey repair to have done - unless your warranty or service plan will cover.

Looks like Ill be contacting Ford for warranty work. Thanks Think Ill crawl
back under there tomorrow to make sure all the other ones are ok.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-18-2017, 01:12 AM   #295
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Number 7 is the one I can not access.

Jerry
Between turning the wheel and letting the suspension hang (weight off the wheels) you can get to that one. Not sure if turning alone would be enough - I always let the wheels hang when adding grease.. Lets me move everything around to check for any slop and get easier access.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 01-18-2017, 01:18 AM   #296

THOR #5196
Jerry, for the time being you can wrap around the boot with some self sealing tape, the kind that sticks to itself. I have done this for boots on some of my 4 wheelers, works well and it's probably still on some of them. Don't wrap the tape to tight.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:53 AM   #297

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
I also found that one joint boot was ripped. Does this need replacing. Or us it not a big deal

Jerry

I askedd my son (the Frod truck master mechanic) about this. He says you should replace it as soon as possible to avoid more costly repair, and even worse, a worn out ball joint and sloppy steering because of it.

It is specifically urgent if you live/drive a lot in dusty areas.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:55 AM   #298

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Jerry, for the time being you can wrap around the boot with some self sealing tape, the kind that sticks to itself. I have done this for boots on some of my 4 wheelers, works well and it's probably still on some of them. Don't wrap the tape to tight.
How did you get it to seal to the grease surfaces? Like to the side of the crack?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #299

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
How did you get it to seal to the grease surfaces? Like to the side of the crack?
I clean the area with paper towels until it is absolutely clean. I use my favorite glue, 3M weatherstrip, and put a bead around the torn area. I very carefully wrap the tape around the boot and then wait for everything to set up. 4 wheeling in heavy brush it hard on the boots, I've torn several, never had this not work.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #300

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Attachment 3721

This is a pic of the carbon water filter I added to the cold water side of kitchen sink. My wife is picky about her coffee and with this filter she's getting good clean water. Filter is an inline hose filter with garden hose to 1/2 inch npt fittings.
Great idea!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote