Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 PM   #541

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I had a little air whistle coming from the driver and passenger windows when we first picked it up. They just were not closed properly. Opened then reclosed it the air/whistle stopped. Now it can come back if we don't close them properly.

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 AM   #542

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I had a little air whistle coming from the driver and passenger windows when we first picked it up. They just were not closed properly. Opened then reclosed it the air/whistle stopped. Now it can come back if we don't close them properly.

Jerry
I wish I could stop the rattle from the passenger side window drives me NUTS

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:00 AM   #543

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:

Jerry
We had the same problem with our driver and passenger windows. I generously sprayed the felt surrounding the windows with silicone, moved the windows several times and sprayed again. Windows move much easier now, close and seal better. No more noise from the windows.

Also had the front end whistle, adjusted the hood for a better and more flush fit, no more whistle. I did ask Thor and they sent expanded metal for the grill. Main reason I asked for the metal was to use as a bug and rock guard.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:44 AM   #544
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Wind Noise

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to take a 31S for a test ride but the closet they had was. 29M. Heard wind noise when driving and couldn't figure where it was coming from. My concern was if wind is coming in if it rains water will enter the same place when raining. I took a 34 for a test ride for comparison and no wind noise. I am afraid to put a deposit on a 31S if it has the same problem. I called Thor tech support and they said there was an issue caused by the configuration of the grille.

Kev
Old 02-17-2017, 03:59 AM   #545

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Thanks for the replies. I wanted to take a 31S for a test ride but the closet they had was. 29M. Heard wind noise when driving and couldn't figure where it was coming from. My concern was if wind is coming in if it rains water will enter the same place when raining. I took a 34 for a test ride for comparison and no wind noise. I am afraid to put a deposit on a 31S if it has the same problem. I called Thor tech support and they said there was an issue caused by the configuration of the grille.

Kev
We've had a bunch of rain here lately. First drove it in the rain when I took it in for warranty work. After getting home I checked everywhere especially around the windows and skylights. No leaks. I went into the mh again during the last storm again no leaks.

The whistle you heard might be what SuperD had with his hood. Sounds like an easy fix. Good luck with your search.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-17-2017, 05:06 AM   #546

THOR #3156
Took the mh for a test ride to see how the trac bar effected the ride. Hit the freeway looking for semi truck. Several passed me but traffic kept me down to 40-45 mph during most of my trip. I still felt the trucks but it was very slight. I drove with two fingers for the 30 minute plus trip. No need to grip the wheel with my entire hand

So the big test will be in a few weeks when we go to Vegas and ill be pulling the Jeep. I'll really be able to tell if they were worth getting

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #547

THOR #5196
Quote:

Kev
Kev, Thor told you right, the wind noise is a common problem with Hurricane and Windsport and is easily corrected. The majority of the noise is caused by the egg crate plastic grill, worse on some coaches. Mine was corrected by adjusting the hood, which was before I knew about the grill problem. Thor will send a piece of black expanded metal for a grill insert to silence the whistle.

Don't let the noise keep you from buying the 31S, really not a problem.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #548

THOR #5196
Jerry, sounds like your trac bar is doing the job, will probably be more noticeable when pulling the Jeep. Sounds like you made a very good decision!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #549
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Kev, Thor told you right, the wind noise is a common problem with Hurricane and Windsport and is easily corrected. The majority of the noise is caused by the egg crate plastic grill, worse on some coaches. Mine was corrected by adjusting the hood, which was before I knew about the grill problem. Thor will send a piece of black expanded metal for a grill insert to silence the whistle.

Ok thanks for the info SuperD. The only thing that worried me was the tech at Thor told me they have an updated grille to solve the problem and I would think the 2017 already had the updated grille. Plus I drove the 34 just to see if it had the same wind noise and it didn't. The grilles looked the same to me. It is more of a wind noise than a whistle, almost sounds like an open window.

Kev
Old 02-19-2017, 05:13 AM   #550
Kev

THOR #3918
Surge protector

Quote:
Another mod this morning

I bought a progressive industries hard wired surge protector/electrical management system

Had to disconnect the shore power wiring going into the transfer switch. This wire hoked into in incoming side of the unit. Ran 10 guage from the out going side into the transfer switch

This puts the prorector in line from the shore power to the transfer switch

Ran the display meter cable behind the fuse/breaker box and up just above. Cant see the cable which is nice

Ill take a black magic marker to cover the bolt and washer

Couple if pics
Was it a difficult install? I need to buy a 50 amp for the new coach and can't decide which to buy. I had the 30 amp external model on the Vegas. I certainly like the idea of the internal model.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2017, 05:29 AM   #551

THOR #3156
Simpke to install. Just a couple of wires

The hard comes from the display panel depending on where you do the install. Lots of people install the protector in the cargo area where the power cord is located. Then the gard parg is trying to run the display cable into the mh. Some leave the display in the carco bay also. I dont like that. I want to be able to see it when inside.

I was lucky the transfer box was under the bed. Made it sasy to get to

Are you getting the 31s???? Do you know where the transfer box is located???

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-19-2017, 05:32 AM   #552

THOR #3156
Quote:

SD
I called Thor yesterday and asked for the grill insert. They said no because it wasnt a problem wuth the Hurricanes

Guess it all depends on who you talk to. I also asked for the electrical and plumbing builds. He enailed them to me whike we were duscyssing the screen

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-19-2017, 05:56 AM   #553
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Simpke to install. Just a couple of wires

The hard comes from the display panel depending on where you do the install. Lots of people install the protector in the cargo area where the power cord is located. Then the gard parg is trying to run the display cable into the mh. Some leave the display in the carco bay also. I dont like that. I want to be able to see it when inside.

I was lucky the transfer box was under the bed. Made it sasy to get to

Are you getting the 31s???? Do you know where the transfer box is located???

Jerry
Thanks Jerry

Yes i pulled the trigger today but it won't be here until the end of March because the one they had coming in had only one A/C and they had to put in a change order for two. Now I have to replace all the upgrades I did on the Vegas, the surge protector being one, since it's only 30 amp. I put the 30 amp for sale in the classified section. I was thinking I could use the 30 amp with an adapter as long as I am just using one A/C temporarily until I get the 50 amp model.

Kev
Old 02-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #554

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Everything electrical is under the short queen bed. Plenty of room but a mess of wires.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #555

THOR #5196
Quote:
SD
I called Thor yesterday and asked for the grill insert. They said no because it wasnt a problem wuth the Hurricanes

Guess it all depends on who you talk to. I also asked for the electrical and plumbing builds. He enailed them to me whike we were duscyssing the screen

Jerry
Jerry, your grill is a lot different from the Windsport, probably why they wouldn't cough up the insert! Windsport grill is an eggcrate black plastic with lots of little holes, probably why it whistles.

Glad you got the diagrams, they're pretty good about sending those!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #556

THOR #5196
Made a 380 mile trip over to Abilene, TX to meet with Dino, Angie, Dino's twin brother Dennis, and his wife Janet. Had a Great Time meting everyone!!!

I installed the 5 Star tune prior to the trip, I was very disappointed. The tune did not correct the engine braking problem in tow/haul mode. I didn't notice any power increase. When on cruise control the coach didn't hold speed as well as stock. The only improvement I noticed was better, smoother, and quicker up shifting. At this point I am inclined to change back to the stock tune. I'm going to call 5 Star tomorrow, explain my disappointment, and see what they recommend. Perhaps I don't have the latest software, I don't know, just know I'm not impressed with what I experienced on the trip!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #557

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Made a 380 mile trip over to Abilene, TX to meet with Dino, Angie, Dino's twin brother Dennis, and his wife Janet. Had a Great Time meting everyone!!!

I installed the 5 Star tune prior to the trip, I was very disappointed. The tune did not correct the engine braking problem in tow/haul mode. I didn't notice any power increase. When on cruise control the coach didn't hold speed as well as stock. The only improvement I noticed was better, smoother, and quicker up shifting. At this point I am inclined to change back to the stock tune. I'm going to call 5 Star tomorrow, explain my disappointment, and see what they recommend. Perhaps I don't have the latest software, I don't know, just know I'm not impressed with what I experienced on the trip!!!
We had a great time too SuperD...let's do it again soon!!!!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #558

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:

Kev
Kev, I've seen you mention several times about being concerned about leaving a deposit on the new RV if it arrives and has any issues. The dealer should have in your agreement that if the RV arrives and if for any reason you are unhappy the deposit is fully refundable. You should not be locked into buying an RV that you're not happy with. If you are special ordering the RV, then you may lose the deposit but you are still not locked in to buying it. Shouldn't be more than a $1k deposit in any case. This is how it worked for us. We put a $1k deposit on an RV, and when it arrived we did a walk through. Many things not right with the RV so we walked and our deposit was refunded.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #559

THOR #5196
Called 5 Star today, have to say every time I have called they have been Super nice and Very helpful. I discussed what I considered to be a problem, Chris was quick to explain how some tunes can be different with some people liking certain things and others not, understandable.

Chris emailed me a custom tune that should address all my concerns. I'll download the custom tune and give it another try! I appreciated how willing to help 5 Star, great customer service!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #560
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Kev, I've seen you mention several times about being concerned about leaving a deposit on the new RV if it arrives and has any issues. The dealer should have in your agreement that if the RV arrives and if for any reason you are unhappy the deposit is fully refundable. You should not be locked into buying an RV that you're not happy with. If you are special ordering the RV, then you may lose the deposit but you are still not locked in to buying it. Shouldn't be more than a $1k deposit in any case. This is how it worked for us. We put a $1k deposit on an RV, and when it arrived we did a walk through. Many things not right with the RV so we walked and our deposit was refunded.
Can you tell me what the issues were so I know what to look for? Also where did you wind up buying the unit?

Thanks