Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #681
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Hey SuperD when you get a chance can you measure the height and width of your windshield. My coach hasn't arrived yet and I want to order a Magna Shade for the windshield. I want to make sure I have the shade for a trip we have planned. They have a pattern for a 2016 and they just want to make sure it hasn't changed. Also if you can tell me the length of the windshield wiper blades. Do you have access to the top of the interior of the windshield or are the cabinets in the way?

Thanks I appreciate it.
Kev

Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #682

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Kev the windshield is 54 tall and 96 wide near the bottom. Wipers are 32 long. There is an overhead cabinet but you can get to the top of the windshield. There is an electric roller shade on the front but it is mounted a couple of inches back for the top of the windshield. Hope this is helpful.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #683
Kev

THOR #3918
Yes it helps a lot. I am glad I can get to the top of the interior windshield because I would have to attach magnets to the windshield. The measurement they had for the windshield was 96 X 45 3/4. I think the difference is there thinking with the cabinets in the way I wouldn't e able to get to the top of the windshield to mount the magnets. Thanks for your help.

Kev
Old 03-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #684

THOR #5196
Glad to help! Those dimensions for the shade should be fine. Please post a picture when you get it installed?
Old 03-11-2017, 01:22 AM   #685
Kev

THOR #3918
I sure will
Old 03-11-2017, 05:42 AM   #686
Kev

THOR #3918
Magna Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Glad to help! Those dimensions for the shade should be fine. Please post a picture when you get it installed?
Which dimensions are you referring to should be fine? Your measurement is 96 X 54, there's is 96 X 45 3/4. Their horizontal measurement is almost 9" shorter than your measurement. I am thinking they are taking in consideration the cabinets not knowing that you have access to the top off the interior windshield to place the interior magnets.
With their measurement there would be a 9" gap at the top.

Thanks again for your help,
Kev
Old 03-11-2017, 05:42 AM   #687

THOR #5196
Just read this about the 2018 model:

New features for 2018 include updated décor, thicker solid surface counters, raised bathroom vanity, flush covered glass stove top, LED running & marker lights, pre-wired for solar charging, power driver seat and more

I like all of it except the glass cooktop! Have never liked a glass cooktop, don't want one, plus like having a real oven. I had a convection microwave in my Tuscany, it was ok but never used it much. Really like the idea of a raised vanity in the bathroom and thicker counter tops. Have no intention of doing solar. Already have the power drivers seat. Glad we bought a 2017!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #688

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Just read this about the 2018 model:

New features for 2018 include updated décor, thicker solid surface counters, raised bathroom vanity, flush covered glass stove top, LED running & marker lights, pre-wired for solar charging, power driver seat and more

I like all of it except the glass cooktop! Have never liked a glass cooktop, don't want one, plus like having a real oven. I had a convection microwave in my Tuscany, it was ok but never used it much. Really like the idea of a raised vanity in the bathroom and thicker counter tops. Have no intention of doing solar. Already have the power drivers seat. Glad we bought a 2017!!!
Roger that Dave!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:09 AM   #689

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Which dimensions are you referring to should be fine? Your measurement is 96 X 54, there's is 96 X 45 3/4. Their horizontal measurement is almost 9" shorter than your measurement. I am thinking they are taking in consideration the cabinets not knowing that you have access to the top off the interior windshield to place the interior magnets.
With their measurement there would be a 9" gap at the top.

Thanks again for your help,
Kev
I was referring to the height. You have the dark tinted area at the top of the windshield. Does the cover go on the inside or the outside? If it goes on the inside the measurement should be good. I don't think there is any difference between 16 and 17 except the addition of the power front shade which replaced the pull around curtains.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:45 AM   #690

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
I was referring to the height. You have the dark tinted area at the top of the windshield. Does the cover go on the inside or the outside? If it goes on the inside the measurement should be good. I don't think there is any difference between 16 and 17 except the addition of the power front shade which replaced the pull around curtains.
Dave,
Magna shades go on the outside and are held into place by magnets that are glued to the inside of the window.

I checked my step light. It is powered by the magnet in the screen door. Only on when the door is open.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #691
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Dave
Cover goes on the outside. I want it to cover the entire window. The cover has magnets sewn in. On the inside magnets are attached to the windshield with 3m tape.
I just want to make sure i can get to the top of the windshield in the interior so I can attach the magnets.
Thanks
Kev
Old 03-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #692

THOR #5196
Kev, I will go out and measure the inside height this morning to make sure it's the same as the outside! Don't think I've ever seen a shade that attaches like that, going to have to check it out.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #693

THOR #5196
Kev, I measured the inside at the center of the dash, 46 3/4 inches top to bottom. There is plenty of room to get to the top edge and mount the magnets, if you have long arms! Lol. Sorry I didn't get better measurements for you the first time, didn't understand how the shade mounted.

Rather than using 3M tape, which I love, but will let go in high heat, I would use clear silicone from a fresh tube. I've used silicone to mount several things on windshields and never had it come loose, plus it will put the magnets physically closer to the glass. On our last boat I mounted a medium sized compass to the windshield using silicone, boats can really take a pounding in rough water, it never even wiggled!
Old 03-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #694

THOR #5196
Ok, just watched the Magna Shade video and I'm impressed!!! Great idea for mounting, super simple, REALLY quick to mount! Kev I can definitely see why you want one! Again, please post pictures after you're done!
Old 03-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #695
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Ok, just watched the Magna Shade video and I'm impressed!!! Great idea for mounting, super simple, REALLY quick to mount! Kev I can definitely see why you want one! Again, please post pictures after you're done!
Yes that's why I was impressed when I saw the video no more dragging out the ladder. I bought the windshield and side shades for the Vegas but never got to install them because after going to the Tampa super show we decided to get a bigger rv. Thanks for all your help and I will post pics when I pick up the coach and do the install.

Kev
Old 03-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #696

THOR #5196
Kev, absolutely my pleasure to help!!!
Old 03-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #697

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
We got the Magna Shade at the Mocksville NC shop at the end of the season last year. We used it once, just because we had it. Looks good, easy to put up and take down and it all comes in a nice carrying case with a rod for installing so no ladder.

Our RV is in the shop for some extended warranty work on the heater (died) and the gray water plumbing that started leaking. When we get it back and the weather gets nice I'll take some picture of the Magna Shades being put up and in place.

We are also upgrading to some new inside curtains with a product called "Sunbrella" that is suppose to be extremly durable. I'll have more info once the mail arrives with the curtains. BTW:the old curtain liner just fell off one day! I went out to crank the generator and it was just lying there on the driver's side left armrest!

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #698
TKM

State: Arizona
THOR #6193
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Finally got a break in the rain. Maria and I look the new blinds into the mh and got them installed. Each blind uses 8 screws to hold them in place. The last blind and last screw would not go in strajght. It went in at an angle and i couldnt screw it in or out. So i left it that way

Only took pics of the first one after install. The otger looks the same

Jerry

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I have the exact same interior on my 29M...What colors are those?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #699

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
I have the exact same interior on my 29M...What colors are those?

They are Ecru Blackout #SB0105RV and Charcoal Chestnut 5% Openness SB5004RV

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #700
TKM

State: Arizona
THOR #6193
Thanks!