Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #821

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I installed two volt meters to check the condition of the house batteries and the chassis battery. I also have a Progressive Industries EMS-30C surge guard which monitors the input voltage and amperage to the coach. You can use the inverter to check the house batteries if you turn the inverter on. So far, the WFCO power center and converter charger has worked perfectly. I did loose the battery charging relay but Thor sent me a replacement under warranty. It took a while to get used to the cooling fan turning on and off under the bed.

I installed a volt meter and amp meter at the coach batteries so I could tell what was the draw.. when dry camping I found it best to disconnect the chasiss battery from the "BOX" it draws 2 amps per hour for some reason..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #822
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Thermostat

I would like to swap out the antiquated analog thermostats for digital thermostats. I can't believe the new coaches still even come with analog thermostats. Can anyone give me any input on viable replacements that will have matching wiring for a easy swap.

Thanks
Kev
Old 03-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #823

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I would like to swap out the antiquated analog thermostats for digital thermostats. I can't believe the new coaches still even come with analog thermostats. Can anyone give me any input on viable replacements that will have matching wiring for a easy swap.

Thanks
Kev
Kev,
I did this early on. Hate to say it but go to the begining of this thread and start looking. I posted the wiring also. I dont know where in the theead it is. Just know it was early

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #824

THOR #6449
It should be in the first few pages. I remember seeing it and saving the thermostat model number.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #825

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post

Thanks
Kev
I put in this its a direct replacement https://www.amazon.com/8330-3862-Col...ort+thermostat
Old 03-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #826

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Yep the Coleman digital is a direct replacement. Works much better than analog. (Plus or minus one degree)
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:30 AM   #827
Kev

THOR #3918
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #828

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
CO2 Detector

Received my 2-pack CO2 Detectors yesterday. Followed Jerry's lead and mounted one in the Living room and one on the left nightstand in the bedroom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_173123.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	4364  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #829

THOR #2757
More Chassis Lights Pictures on "Windy"

Just wanted to share more pictures of the Chassis lights I installed on "Windy"!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170331_071427.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	4365   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_071414.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	4366  

Name:	20170331_071345.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	4367   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_071505.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	4368  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #830

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
This is a post I did about a year ago. If you go to thread 2016 Axis heater problem and scroll down there are links to several pdfs that help. There is also a good YouTube video out there that walks you thru it step by step. Easy, quick addition and well worth it. I replaced two of them in my 2014 Vegas and 2016 Axis.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4541.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	4369  
Old 03-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #831
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Just wanted to share more pictures of the Chassis lights I installed on "Windy"!

Looks really nice. This will have to be on my to do list.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #832

State: Colorado
THOR #6613
For those of you installing/replacing your CO monitor- I believe they need to be located near the ground as CO is generally concentrated in lower areas. If you are just sticking them into your outlets at chest level (I'm short), you may not get the warning until you've already started feeling some of the effects of the gas or if you're sleeping, you might already be done by the time the alarm triggered so high from the floor.

I think this is why manufacturer places them low to the floor.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #833
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I did some searching/research when I first saw the CO detectors being added - because of the location... I had the same concern.

Most factory installed detectors in our RV's are dual purpose - propane and CO... A propane detector needs to be near floor level - as propane is heavier than air and will settle. A high mounted propane detector may not alarm when it should.

CO is not so straight forward - as it will disperse through the air. Mounting CO detectors in varying locations/heights - from ceiling to floor - seems to be common practice - and nothing I could find shows any significant advantage of one location over another. In my last house - I had CO detectors at normal outlet height and on ceiling...

Certainly nothing hurt by adding additional CO detectors...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 PM   #834

THOR #3156
For my research propane is heavier so the monitors need to be towards the ground. CO is slightly lighter than oxygen but it mixes with oxygen very well. so it stays in all air columns. Having them high and low is best. The wall mount in the dining area i believe is good because the air is moved around. This is a high traffic area. The one on the night stand is head level while sleeping.

I may be wrong with the above but i followed several different reports and reccomendation. Either way i have three co alarms each at different levels of the mh
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-31-2017, 06:10 PM   #835

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I did some searching/research when I first saw the CO detectors being added - because of the location... I had the same concern.

Most factory installed detectors in our RV's are dual purpose - propane and CO... A propane detector needs to be near floor level - as propane is heavier than air and will settle. A high mounted propane detector may not alarm when it should.

CO is not so straight forward - as it will disperse through the air. Mounting CO detectors in varying locations/heights - from ceiling to floor - seems to be common practice - and nothing I could find shows any significant advantage of one location over another. In my last house - I had CO detectors at normal outlet height and on ceiling...

I think we read the same reports. Also we were typing at the same time but you hit tge post button a second before me
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #836

THOR #6613
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post

Good to know. I just didn't want anyone to only have them high and it lead to a tragic accident. I wasn't sure if the new ones were additions or replacements (ie, they removed the one originally installed for whatever reason)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #837

THOR #6613
Quote:

love the lights. Where are they plugged in at and attached to Windi? We have the same unit....might do purple lights
Old 03-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #838

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post
love the lights. Where are they plugged in at and attached to Windi? We have the same unit....might do purple lights
Dino and i spliced them i to the inside step light switch.

I post the amazon link of tge lights we got. Youll have to go back several pages to find it.
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-31-2017, 11:44 PM   #839

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:

Dino, Windy looks Beautiful!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 12:36 AM   #840

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
For my research propane is heavier so the monitors need to be towards the ground. CO is slightly lighter than oxygen but it mixes with oxygen very well. so it stays in all air columns. Having them high and low is best. The wall mount in the dining area i believe is good because the air is moved around. This is a high traffic area. The one on the night stand is head level while sleeping.

I may be wrong with the above but i followed several different reports and reccomendation. Either way i have three co alarms each at different levels of the mh
Jerry you are not wrong, you are absolutely correct! Carbon monoxide is serious stuff, I personally almost expired in my bus conversion due to it so I know first hand. If I had a detector i would have never had a problem. Good for you and everyone else taking the time and steps to be extra safe!!! And also Thank You for sharing and educating, might save someone from a terrible experience!!!