Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #941

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Kent,

I should have taken a "before" photo. I had a 20 Ton hydraulic jack and a tool bag filled with wrenches, pliers,hammers, screwdrivers etc. The rear half of the compartment bottom had no screws to fasten it. The bottom sagged and pulled away from the wall and foam weather stripping. The gap was large enough to show daylight. I did not lose any tools. I unloaded the compartment and it was a bear getting the weather stripping back in place. I used #8 by 1 inch self drilling screws to secure the bottoms. Thor uses square drive screws with black colored heads. They are difficult to see or photograph. Best to locate them by feel. I carry lots of tools and heavy items. I need those compartments to have strong floors.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #942

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Another Mod Bites The Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceAndPam View Post
I had a 2016 Axis that had the same Coleman/Mach AC unit as our new Hurricane only it was a 15k unit as opposed to two 13.5k units we have now. The way the duct work is molded into the ceiling and the sliding vents on the ends of the ceiling assembly don't allow enough air flow. If you take the ceiling assembly off, the AC unit will almost knock you down with the amount of air it moves with the assembly removed. On a hot day, the AC just can't seem to move enough air to keep the unit cool, but if you remove the ceiling assembly, it will practically freeze you out. So my mod was to install this rotating register that you can open and close as needed. $14.71 on Amazon. These help the AC move a lot more air as it installed right where the fan is producing the most downward force.

Just search Amazon for JR Products ACG25DPW-A Polar White Adjustable Ceiling Vent.

Vince
Received my rotating register vents today in the mail and immediately installed them. Vince was 100% correct!! When I fired up both A/Cs it was creating a small "hurricane" (LOL) in both the bedroom and living room. Fantastic idea Vince! Everyone should do this!!! Installation was EZ!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170412_131112.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	4564   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170412_133703.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	4565  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #943

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #6007
Great, no cutting at all? An exact size fit? Wow Thanks..
Old 04-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #944

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Ok, I just placed my order, will be here Friday!

Jerry, what did you use to cut the holes? How did you decide where to place the vents?
Thanks, Dave
Old 04-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #945

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Ok, I just placed my order, will be here Friday!

Jerry, what did you use to cut the holes? How did you decide where to place the vents?
Thanks, Dave
Dave,
Im getting mine next week. Dino just installed his we spoke a little while ago. He said a jig saw, dremel or similiar cutting device would work install the vent below the fan

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #946

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Dave,
Im getting mine next week. Dino just installed his we spoke a little while ago. He said a jig saw, dremel or similiar cutting device would work install the vent below the fan

Jerry
Thanks Jerry!!! I have a bunch of holesaws, maybe I'll have one the correct size. We had a 41' Thor with 2 13,500 ACs and they would put frost on the windows if both were on at the same time, suprized the 2 in our 29M don't get as cold! The Tuscany had ducted AC, maybe the ducts were bigger.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #947

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #3788
Just checked on amazon for the JR Products ACG25DPW-A Polar White Adjustable Ceiling Vent.and they have lowered the price to $10.09 prime
Old 04-13-2017, 03:04 AM   #948

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Arkansas
THOR #3744
I just traced out the vent on the ceiling assembly and then used a 3/8" drill to create a hole on the edge of the cutout. That allowed me to then insert a jigsaw with a metal blade (cuts the plastic better) into the 3/8" hole and cut the circle out. The new vent attaches with 4 screws that are hidden when the vent insert is popped into place. Looks factory when you're done.

Vince
Old 04-13-2017, 03:06 AM   #949

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Arkansas
THOR #3744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Received my rotating register vents today in the mail and immediately installed them. Vince was 100% correct!! When I fired up both A/Cs it was creating a small "hurricane" (LOL) in both the bedroom and living room. Fantastic idea Vince! Everyone should do this!!! Installation was EZ!

Awesome job Dino!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:00 AM   #950

THOR #3156
My a/c vent should arrive on Friday
FMCA # F464385
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #951

THOR #5196
Guess I won't have time to install my vents for a while. Coach goes to the dealer for some warranty work on Saturday, have no idea how long they will keep it. Leave on the 28th for Germany to welcome our new grandson in to the world, he's due on May 2nd, hope we get there before he pops out!!! Come back, work 12 days then retire, WOOHOO!!! Guess I'll have plenty of time to catch up on projects when I'm unemployed!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #952

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Guess I won't have time to install my vents for a while. Coach goes to the dealer for some warranty work on Saturday, have no idea how long they will keep it. Leave on the 28th for Germany to welcome our new grandson in to the world, he's due on May 2nd, hope we get there before he pops out!!! Come back, work 12 days then retire, WOOHOO!!! Guess I'll have plenty of time to catch up on projects when I'm unemployed!
The installation of the vents was not that hard Dave. Vince posted how to do it. Enjoy your trip and post pics of the newest member of your family! Safe journey!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #953
mjs

State: Alaska
THOR #6545
This is awesome we brought a 2012 throp hurricane 32A and love it neat ideas for all to see
Old 04-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #954

THOR #3156
Quote:
Youre very busy Dave Congrats on the new grandson
FMCA # F464385
Old 04-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #955

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
What a great modification ! I am going to steal the idea for my Vegas.
Amazon will be delivering my vent tomorrow and it will go in Saturday.

The idea is perfect , I have attached a couple of pictures that show the unit with the cover off. What Vince's mod does is to put a vent right in the most concentrated part of the fan blast. The fan is blowing right down the rectangular hole in the picture .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4032.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	4577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4033.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	4578  

Old 04-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #956

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
any ideas for prepping a storage compartment for firewood hauling. I am afraid of the weight in general as well as potential to punch holes.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #957

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
any ideas for prepping a storage compartment for firewood hauling. I am afraid of the weight in general as well as potential to punch holes.
Most all of the places we've been to in the last several years that even allowed wood burning fires didn't allow wood to be brought in, had to purchase theirs.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #958
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texas
Most all of the places we've been to in the last several years that even allowed wood burning fires didn't allow wood to be brought in, had to purchase theirs.
Same around here: Too many invasive bugs, nobody lets you bring firewood in.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:17 PM   #959

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
Check with local regulations of your destination regarding transportation of fire wood. Unlawful to bring firewood into New York State unless it is heat treated to kill bugs and you can prove it. If u buy un-heat treated firewood in NY state you can transport it up to 50 miles. Many local residents sell firewood in the area around campgrounds. Many times this is cheaper than campgrounds price. Best to check with campground prior to arrival. I have seen compartments lined with OSB sheathing or rubber mats. Good idea to beef up support with plumber straps and angle iron.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #960

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I was thinking about the rubber mat, but I don't know about the overall support capability of the compartment.