Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2017, 11:36 PM   #1321

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Nice job Jerry...how many channels were you getting with the previous TV?

Not sure Dino.

I believe it was 50-60 the last time I checked it in my driveway. So just a couple more

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #1322

THOR #3156
More tv talk.

I checked the bedroom and that will be an easy switch over to any 32" replacement tv.

Heres where the problems come in. OUTSIDE TV!!!!!! Ive only used mine a couple times and this was at night. I never really looked in the cabinet. After the 39" install and went out to check the outside tv. I found the power cable, hdmi, and antenna cable black taped together in wire loom going up inside the wall.

Where does the tv get power from?????? And why did they tape all the cables together. If I can find the power source I cant just pull out the old with a string or something attached so I can use that to feed the new power cord.

For some reason I thought there was a power outlet in the cabinet. That's what I get for thinking.

So I have a couple of options to fix this. First option second choice. Leave tv unplugged and when I want to use it pull out power cord and run it outside the cabinet to the power outlet which is to the left and below the tv.

THis is not clean looking but can do in a pinch.

Second option and preferred choice. Tie into the outside power outlet, run the wire, romex, to the outside tv cabinet from behind, drill hole to let the wire in and install a new power outlet.

I can do all this but electricity is not my specialty. Good thing I have a buddy that is.

THis also brings up a problem with satellite tv. I am thinking about switching my house to DirectTV. My understanding is I can take my main box out of the house and use it in the mh with no problems. Hopefully this is true.

The problem is I wanted to get a second box for the outside tv so we can watch two different shows at one time. With only one box I can connect it to the splitter box and all 3 tvs can use DirectTv but all tvs have to watch the same show.

I run into the same problem with running the satellite cable to the outside cabinet.

Any suggests with either of these two problems. I know someone here will have the answer.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-01-2017, 11:57 PM   #1323

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
Jerry
I believe with a smart tv you can DL the DTV app and mirror your phone to your smart tv that's what we were planning on doing. I can try it later when I get home
I read your post quick so I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were asking

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:57 PM   #1324

Model: Hurricane
THOR #6038
Great stuff. Keep it comin'! Thank you
Old 06-02-2017, 12:18 AM   #1325

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Dave,
Vizio has small screws/bolts for the mounting bracket. You will need to buy 4 of them if you don't already have them. They don't come with the mounting screws. They are M-4. I had to call Vizio to get the size. Rep said M-4x12mm is the hole. I went to Home Depot and bought M-4x16mm bolts. The 16mm was a tad long but I used a star washer and regular washer. It snugged up tight.

Jerry
I wish now I had gotten Visio instead of Samsung. The Samsung bolts are 8mm which is why I had to grind out the mounting slots, real PIA!!! If you change the bedroom tv pay attention to how the cables go in to the back of the tv. I had to cut a small section out of the door to allow the cables to clear, I'll take a picture and post when I get the coach back.

For your outside tv you could cut and splice in to the existing power cord, would save a lot of work.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:21 AM   #1326

THOR #4312
Jerry
Just got home and went into the Rv and I hear music ?? my bedroom tv has been for about a week ! Hahahaha

Be a blessing to someone
Old 06-02-2017, 12:25 AM   #1327

THOR #5196
For your Direct TV you can get genie boxes, you have the main receiver and then each tv has a small genie box. That's how our house is set up, works great! Each little genie box runs its own channels from the main receiver and can record and play back just like the main receiver.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #1328

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
Jerry
I believe with a smart tv you can DL the DTV app and mirror your phone to your smart tv that's what we were planning on doing. I can try it later when I get home
I read your post quick so I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were asking
Think you are correct but the problem is data usage. We have Verizon and that will eat the data up
At&t would be no problem. I believe streaming dtv is included with no data charges but they might have a minimum data plan to get this, 8gig, 10gig or it might just be the unlimited. They are more than my verizon plan so probably will not switch just to watch 2 different shows at a time.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #1329
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I wish now I had gotten Visio instead of Samsung. The Samsung bolts are 8mm which is why I had to grind out the mounting slots, real PIA!!! If you change the bedroom tv pay attention to how the cables go in to the back of the tv. I had to cut a small section out of the door to allow the cables to clear, I'll take a picture and post when I get the coach back.

For your outside tv you could cut and splice in to the existing power cord, would save a lot of work.
Here is the problem with the Vizio the vesa is 200 (this is the space of the mounting holes). The Seiki the vesa is 400 (the mounting holes are farther apart than the Vizio). The Samsung vesa is 400which is the same as the Seiki.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #1330

THOR #4312
Jerry's Hurricane mods

Quote:
Think you are correct but the problem is data usage. We have Verizon and that will eat the data up
At&t would be no problem. I believe streaming dtv is included with no data charges but they might have a minimum data plan to get this, 8gig, 10gig or it might just be the unlimited. They are more than my verizon plan so probably will not switch just to watch 2 different shows at a time.

Jerry

We just added unlimited data with Verizon. I'm downloading the smartcast app (Visio) and will see if I can watch DTV in the Rv
Would be sweet if it works. I'll save some dough by not purchasing the King dish

Be a blessing to someone
Old 06-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #1331

THOR #3156
Quote:
For your Direct TV you can get genie boxes, you have the main receiver and then each tv has a small genie box. That's how our house is set up, works great! Each little genie box runs its own channels from the main receiver and can record and play back just like the main receiver.
Dave,
The genies work off wifi. No wife in the mh.
Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-02-2017, 12:41 AM   #1332
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For the power problem: On the inside of the coach where the outside TV is pull out drawers, open access panels, etc. I bet you'll find an outlet--it may just be laying on the floor.

On our Axis, which doesn't have the outside TV, I had all the kitchen drawers out and found the outside TV outlet laying on the floor--I guess once they figured out that they weren't going to install an outside TV on our unit they just left the plug there (all wired up to 120V!).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #1333

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Here is the problem with the Vizio the vesa is 200 (this is the space of the mounting holes). The Seiki the vesa is 400 (the mounting holes are farther apart than the Vizio). The Samsung vesa is 400which is the same as the Seiki.
Kev,
THe mounting holes were the same for the 39" Vizio and my Seiki tv. In fact the bracket had holes for several different patterns but I didn't need them.

Of course this always depends on what bracket Thor uses. Im sure they use whatever they can get cheap.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #1334
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Kev,
THe mounting holes were the same for the 39" Vizio and my Seiki tv. In fact the bracket had holes for several different patterns but I didn't need them.

Of course this always depends on what bracket Thor uses. Im sure they use whatever they can get cheap.

Jerry
That's interesting when I went to change out the tv's in the Vegas I had to return the Vizio because the mounting holes were closer so I returned it for a Samsung which matched the Seikis mounting holes. I plan on swapping out the Axxeras in the Windsport with the Samsungs I have. Hopefully the mounting holes will be the same.

Kev
Old 06-02-2017, 01:44 AM   #1335

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
For the power problem: On the inside of the coach where the outside TV is pull out drawers, open access panels, etc. I bet you'll find an outlet--it may just be laying on the floor.

On our Axis, which doesn't have the outside TV, I had all the kitchen drawers out and found the outside TV outlet laying on the floor--I guess once they figured out that they weren't going to install an outside TV on our unit they just left the plug there (all wired up to 120V!).

Thanks Jamie.

Went out to the motorhome and found the plug on my first try. So 29m owners the power supply to the outside tv is in the bathroom behind the left shelf below the counter. No plates/wallboard to remove. There is a 4-5 inch gap above the shelf wall. In fact you can see the entrance hole for cables and power cord. There are also 2 coax cables in there. One for the outside tv goes up the wall most likely toward above storage area and antenna. The other goes down the wall. I'll assume this runs under the floor then up the wall to the bedroom tv.

Lots of other small gauge wires visible in the wall.

This might be a access point to run the satellite cable to the outside tv. Might be possible to run the cable through the overhead cabinet to towards the bathroom wall. drill a hole in the wall, might have to go several inches, then feed it down.

Scary part is drilling that hole. Don't want to hit any wires. The cabin et and wall is pretty thin. Might be able to cut a small hole with a razor and small knife to see if it can be accessed.

Thanks again Jamie and everyone else your help is appreciated

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-02-2017, 01:59 AM   #1336

THOR #4312
About DTV. You have to have an app called "Direct tv now" on your mobile device to mirror on your Rv tv $35 per month will update if I find more info

Be a blessing to someone
Old 06-02-2017, 02:09 AM   #1337

THOR #5196
Quote:
Dave,
The genies work off wifi. No wife in the mh.
Jerry
You're absolutely right, forgot about that. Guess it's one of those things that works but you don't really pay much attention as to how. Sorry, bad idea.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:36 AM   #1338

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
That's interesting when I went to change out the tv's in the Vegas I had to return the Vizio because the mounting holes were closer so I returned it for a Samsung which matched the Seikis mounting holes. I plan on swapping out the Axxeras in the Windsport with the Samsungs I have. Hopefully the mounting holes will be the same.

Kev
BTW for 31S models, the TV above the galley bounces around quite a bit while underway. In addition to fixing the latch, bought 4 old- fashion rubber doorstops to use as wedges btwn the TV and the cabinet.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #1339

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Quote:
Attachment 5113

Finally made it, officially retired as of 4:30 today, Woo Hoo!!! I've worked for 54 years and have never been unemployed, REALLY going to seem strange not going to work!!!
Congrats! CSRS or FERS? I retired last year with almost 30 years, bought back my military time. If you bave any questions about OPM or the process, feel free to ask.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #1340
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
BTW for 31S models, the TV above the galley bounces around quite a bit while underway. In addition to fixing the latch, bought 4 old- fashion rubber doorstops to use as wedges btwn the TV and the cabinet.
Thanks for the great tip. If my coach ever arrives I will be sure to use this tip.

Kev