Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #1381

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
Is the grill piece to eliminate the whistle? It looks like the same grill I have. I have the whistle and was going to look for something at Home Depot to zip tie to the grill.

Here is my grill. Grr Dave...sideways bitten too!!
The original grill is the aluminum with the small squares. I had the whistle when I first got the coach, eliminated it by adjusting the hood to fir properly. I had read about others having the whistle and Thor replacing the grill, I called and Thor sent me the big piece of honeycomb black aluminum rolled up in a box. The honeycomb felt thin and flimsy which is why I placed it in front of the original which gives it some backing and strength. There's six nuts and washers holding the grill on plus a wiring harness zip tied to the bottom. I wasn't in a hurry and it took about an hour to complete. Plus I had to remove and replace the cold air duct I had made.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #1382

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
The original grill is the aluminum with the small squares. I had the whistle when I first got the coach, eliminated it by adjusting the hood to fir properly. I had read about others having the whistle and Thor replacing the grill, I called and Thor sent me the big piece of honeycomb black aluminum rolled up in a box. The honeycomb felt thin and flimsy which is why I placed it in front of the original which gives it some backing and strength. There's six nuts and washers holding the grill on plus a wiring harness zip tied to the bottom. I wasn't in a hurry and it took about an hour to complete. Plus I had to remove and replace the cold air duct I had made.
My picture is too far away to be able to see the details but it looks just like your grill except it is made of plastic. I will try adjusting the hood first. Are the adjustments easy to find?
Old 06-09-2017, 01:17 AM   #1383

THOR #5196
The grill Thor sent is a honeycomb shaped thin aluminum screen, actually doesn't look bad, just a little flimsy.

The are four adjustment bolts for the hood, two on each side, if you look closely you'll see them. After getting the hood to a tight fit I had to adjust the locking arms to fit their slots, again pretty easy. It's pretty much trial and error on the fit, took me about 30 min to be happy. While you're at it a liberal dose of lube on the hood helps, mine was really stiff!
Old 06-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #1384

THOR #5196
Another day and another project done. A BIG Thank You to Jerry for this excellent idea, I think he must have been an engineer in a former life?

Installed my AC vents today. I used stainless machine screws with fender washers and nylock nuts. The edge of the washers were up over the lip of the vent mount, put them in a vise and bent, now they sit flat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	5213

Name:	IMG_2047.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	5214
Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #1385

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Dave,
I would love to take credit for this mod but i copied it. Someone else posted it here first, then Dino did the install, and me next. I believe a couple of others have also done it. Ill take the compliment but not for this one.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #1386

THOR #3156
And i just used self tapping screws. I would be more than happy to use nuts and bolts if tge a/c was strong enough to push the vent off. But i dont think that will happen
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #1387

THOR #5196
Ok, don't know who started this but you started this great thread!

I probably would have used screws too, not really any strain on the vent. I didn't have any #8 metal screws but did have the machine screws, saved me a trip to the hardware store. My original plan was to change engine and generator oil, install Fomoto valve, rain nixed that for now.

I think I'm starting to like this retirement gig! Get up, make lunch for my wife, drink a little coffee, do a project, eat lunch, take a nap. Sweet deal, wish I had retired sooner!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #1388

Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Quebec
THOR #2292
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to help, I truly do appreciate it!! Only problem is I pretty much do everything on my iPad.

I originally thought it had something to do with holding my phone in landscape or portrait, does seem to make any difference, so photos just post that way and I never know until I post.
Maybe this site will help you fix the problem on Apple products
Why your iPhone pictures are sideways (and how to fix them)
Old 06-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #1389

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnje View Post
Maybe this site will help you fix the problem on Apple products
Why your iPhone pictures are sideways (and how to fix them)
Wow, what a Great tip!!! Thank you VERY much for information!!! I'll try the phone orientation when I take pictures again.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #1390

THOR #3156
Quote:

I probably would have used screws too, not really any strain on the vent. I didn't have any #8 metal screws but did have the machine screws, saved me a trip to the hardware store. My original plan was to change engine and generator oil, install Fomoto valve, rain nixed that for now.

I think I'm starting to like this retirement gig! Get up, make lunch for my wife, drink a little coffee, do a project, eat lunch, take a nap. Sweet deal, wish I had retired sooner!!!
Yes i started the thread but it has transformed into a 29m, hurricane, windsport, all thor thread with many, including you, contributors.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #1391

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Dave,
I would love to take credit for this mod but i copied it. Someone else posted it here first, then Dino did the install, and me next. I believe a couple of others have also done it. Ill take the compliment but not for this one.

Jerry

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #1392

THOR #2757
Quote:

That's what I'm talking about!!!! Retirement rocks!!

Old 06-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #1393

THOR #7673
Attachment 5241
Quote:
Added snap pads on my levelers. They were a little loose and i could remove and install them by hand. They were hard to get off and on but i could still do it by hand. I was afraid they might get knocked off while driving. I talked to Devon at rvsnappad.com and he agreed it should not be that way. Apparently my level up system has a new pad on it with drainage holes. It also seems a little smaller than the other pads. After a long conversation with Devon i decided to drill two holes in the snap pads and bolt it to the leveler pad. Devon said if i ever have a problem he will send me new pads

Very solid now with the bolts

Jerry

It appears I have the same issue. So our leveler pads are an 1/8" smaller in diameter? Does SP make them a tad smaller to fit our leveler pads?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Driver Side.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	5244  
Old 06-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #1394

THOR #3156
Quote:
Attachment 5241

It appears I have the same issue. So our leveler pads are an 1/8" smaller in diameter? Does SP make them a tad smaller to fit our leveler pads?
Not that I'm aware of. Don't be afraid to use the nuts and bolts like I did. They are very sturdy and are not going anywhere.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #1395

THOR #7673
Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. Don't be afraid to use the nuts and bolts like I did. They are very sturdy and are not going anywhere.

Jerry
Devon said I can return for a refund if I choose. I may do the bolt method. Do you think the bolt head could cause a crack in concrete or asphalt? I will take a look after dinner. DW is making tapa, lumpia, and pancit!!!
Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #1396

THOR #3156
I dont think it will be a problem. I tightened it enough the bolt head is even with the snap pad. I havent noticed any marks on the bolts
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #1397

THOR #3156
Quote:
Devon said I can return for a refund if I choose. I may do the bolt method. Do you think the bolt head could cause a crack in concrete or asphalt? I will take a look after dinner. DW is making tapa, lumpia, and pancit!!!
Masarap
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #1398

THOR #2757
WINDY's Cockpit

They don't call me "Sergeant Gadget" for nothing!!! Attached are updated pics of Windy's Cockpit:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170606_093743.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	5252   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_093807.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	5253  

Name:	20170606_093915.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	5254   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_094105.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	5255  

Old 06-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #1399

THOR #5196
Another day, another mod. Installed the 360 vent covers this morning, was starting to get hot by the time I was done. When I ordered the first 360 I didn't realize there was a newer model which is why I have two different ones. Both models took about the same amount of time to install, hardest part was removing the old Dicor. I had to cut the pipes on both vents, I have a two inch pvc cutter so it only took about 30 seconds to cut. I didn't get cheap applying the new Dicor, shouldn't have any leaks, and since it'll be hot today it should settle nicely.

Name:	IMG_2051.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	5251
Old 06-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #1400

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
They don't call me "Sergeant Gadget" for nothing!!! Attached are updated pics of Windy's Cockpit:
Looks Great Dino! Did you order the monitor from Rear View Safety? What kind of adapter did you need for the camera and did you hook up just the rear camera? I'm kinda thinking of getting the monitor that allows all three cameras at the same time. This is one of the items on my list to do. Looks VERY good!!!

I see Angie has her own gps, cool!