Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2017, 12:25 AM   #1541

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Dino, when I was messing with my camera switch box I remembered you saying you were going to have to make adjustments to your radio. Unplug the power and trigger wires from your switchbox if you haven't already. When you shift to reverse or use the turn signals the switchbox will try to take control of your radio for video inputs. With the box unplugged that should take care of your problems, I hope!!!

Oops! I should have looked at your other post about the wiring, I see the box is out and the wires are cut. Never mind!!!
Hahahahahaha!!!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:27 AM   #1542

THOR #2757
Quote:
Two more mods done. After installed the MaxxFan with remote in the bathroom I wanted to add an outside cover. I had a vent cover on the original fan and figured I would just switch it over to the new fan, wrong! The new fan takes a proprietary cover with clips, and it isn't cheap. Not wanting to let the cover I had go to waste I was able to make it fit by cutting two notches on each side.

Attachment 5373

A while back I installed the 5 Star tune. First tune did not install, called 5 Star and they sent a custom tune which installed easily. My Ford chassis was one that had a recall for the transmission not downshifting properly in tow mode, the tune did not correct that. I called 5 Star again and was sent another tune to correct the shifting problem. WOW, what a difference!!! Shifts are much quicker, acceleration from a stop is better and and the shifting problem has been corrected. I can't say enough good things about the customer service at 5 Star, super nice people!!! When I had problems with the download 5 Star logged in to my computer and did the download for me, they also stayed on the phone while I did the download to the coach. Needless to say I am a happy customer and extremely satisfied with the results!!!

Attachment 5374

Old 06-22-2017, 02:07 AM   #1543

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Ok monitor came a day early. [emoji122] Couldn't wait to get it installed. Used the splitters power, red wire, and ground, white wire. It has power now. [emoji2] thanks Dave[emoji106] Then followed Dino's wiring plan, blk/bro for reverse, yellow for left signal, and green for right. All worked great. Taped up the purple wire not used.

Monitor comes on with the ignition and i set it to show back up on left half of screen, left camera upper right and right camera lower right.

Was going to use nut/bolt and aluminum backing plate for the mount but there was some wood dash supports in the way. Used the provided screws and found it was very secure. If i find the screws loosening up ill replace them with the bolts.

Used wire cutters to cut the removable dash cover and ran the wire harness there. No dash drilling needed. I still want to reinforce the cable but for now it's ok. The cable doesnt move and it shouldnt cause any wear. Ill see what i can find at home depot.

To remove the monitor I'll
need to remove the dash cover to get to the plug, but that's easy.

Over easy mod thanks to old golds original post and Dino for being the first of us doing it. Now i need to find a padded case to store the monitor and my tpms unit.

Maria and i are very happy with this mod.

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172722.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	5382Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172728.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	5383Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172731.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	5384Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172738.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	5385Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172756.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	5386Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172807.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	5387Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_173057.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	5388
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:26 AM   #1544

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Jerry, AWSOME job!!! I like cutting the hole in the removable dash panel, great idea!!! Since you can display all three cameras at the same what happens when you put the turn signal on or shift to reverse? My monitor is supposed to arrive tomorrow, won't be able to start on it till the weekend, depending on your answer I may not hook up the trigger wires. What displays in the 4th quadrant, is it blank? Will it display 1/3, 1/3, 1/3? Lots of questions but want to only do this once.

If you round off the corners of your dash cutout you could probably cut a rubber grommet to fit and protect the wiring.

Again, AWSOME job!!! Oldgold and Dino are pretty smart fellas!!!

Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 AM   #1545

THOR #4593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
BTW for 31S models, the TV above the galley bounces around quite a bit while underway. In addition to fixing the latch, bought 4 old- fashion rubber doorstops to use as wedges btwn the TV and the cabinet.

What did you do to fix the latch? Mine squeaks like crazy!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:17 AM   #1546

THOR #3156
Dave,
Turn signals and reverse will automatically make the screen go to that camera just like the original monitor does.. it does have a 6 second delay before going back to the 3 screens set up. So you probably wont like that. But you could just hook up the back up camera trigger. Its nice to have the big screen when backing.

When you hook up power you can play with the screen options. It was either the mode or v1/v2 button. It goes throught several different screen patterns.

I cut the removable cover and the lip that it sits on. Cuts easy with wire snippers. Was going to round it out but there was enough room for the cable without doing it

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-22-2017, 03:28 AM   #1547

THOR #3156
Quote:
For your Direct TV you can get genie boxes, you have the main receiver and then each tv has a small genie box. That's how our house is set up, works great! Each little genie box runs its own channels from the main receiver and can record and play back just like the main receiver.
Dave,
You are right it can work this way but the genie minis have to hook up to a cable from the satellite or from a dtv splitter.

Ive been doing more research on this. Looking at the winegard units. The traveller is $1500 dont know if i want to spend that but its suppposed to be the best
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #1548

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Dave,
You are right it can work this way but the genie minis have to hook up to a cable from the satellite or from a dtv splitter.

Ive been doing more research on this. Looking at the winegard units. The traveller is $1500 dont know if i want to spend that but its suppposed to be the best
Jerry, Thank You for the monitor info! After what you say I'll probably hook up the reverse trigger but not turn signals, I like the idea of having full screen for backing. I'm also going to cut the cover for my wiring like you did. I have a Ram suction mount that I bought for my GoPro and never used, think I'll try that before going to a permanent mount. If you go to Office Depot they have el cheapo padded carrying bags for computer tablets that would probably work just fine to store your monitor, lots of sizes.

I had the Winegard Traveler on our Tuscany, loved it! Easy to use, push the button, it raises, searchs for the satellites, locks on and done. (Kinda cool to watch it work). With the bigger dish, compared to the dome models, it really pulls in the stations well, and it lays pretty flat when folded.

Personally I had the Direct TV model and loved it, more channels and more features. If I was going to purchase another satellite system the Travler with Direct TV is exactly what I would purchase again. Like you said, not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

BTW, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this retirement thing, pretty great!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #1549

THOR #2757
Quote:
Ok monitor came a day early. [emoji122] Couldn't wait to get it installed. Used the splitters power, red wire, and ground, white wire. It has power now. [emoji2] thanks Dave[emoji106] Then followed Dino's wiring plan, blk/bro for reverse, yellow for left signal, and green for right. All worked great. Taped up the purple wire not used.

Monitor comes on with the ignition and i set it to show back up on left half of screen, left camera upper right and right camera lower right.

Was going to use nut/bolt and aluminum backing plate for the mount but there was some wood dash supports in the way. Used the provided screws and found it was very secure. If i find the screws loosening up ill replace them with the bolts.

Used wire cutters to cut the removable dash cover and ran the wire harness there. No dash drilling needed. I still want to reinforce the cable but for now it's ok. The cable doesnt move and it shouldnt cause any wear. Ill see what i can find at home depot.

To remove the monitor I'll
need to remove the dash cover to get to the plug, but that's easy.

Over easy mod thanks to old golds original post and Dino for being the first of us doing it. Now i need to find a padded case to store the monitor and my tpms unit.

Maria and i are very happy with this mod.

JerryAttachment 5382Attachment 5383Attachment 5384Attachment 5385Attachment 5386Attachment 5387Attachment 5388

Well done Jerry!!! Ok, Dave, now its your turn!!!!

Old 06-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #1550

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumster View Post
What did you do to fix the latch? Mine squeaks like crazy!
Swing the TV out. Look at where the TV support frame touches the back of the cabinet in two places. I wedged a couple of small felt pads there. My latch itself did not squeak but I did have to reposition the catch. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170622_075617334.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	5389

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #1551

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Well done Jerry!!! Ok, Dave, now its your turn!!!!

Monitor should be here today! FedEx usually runs late at my house, must be at the end of the route Good thing about going last is seeing what everyone else has done. Thanks for your wiring diagrams even though my wiring doesn't match yours or Jerry's???

We're taking Myra's grandson and her older sister to Galveston next week, staying thru the 4th. Sure will be nice to have the big monitor! I'm going to see if there is a way to mirror my iPhone gps to the monitor, that would be great!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #1552

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Dave,

Ive been doing more research on this. Looking at the Winegard units. The traveler is $1500 don't know if i want to spend that but its supposed to be the best
C-41W clients (mini genies) are wireless. You simply attach then to the TV by a short HDMI cable and plug it into a electrical outlet. The video bridge connects to the splitter near the HR-44/54. You can have up to four different TV with this system. You only need RG-6 coax if you are supplying a UTV (4K) signal to the TV. I have been using this wireless setup in my Hurricane for 18 months. If you are a long time DirecTV client, you can get the entire setup free with a 2 year commitment as an upgrade to your present system.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #1553

THOR #5196
Quote:
Dave,

The coax from the dish would run to the input on the antenna booster which would feed each tv by coax. Unhook coax from tv, hook to genie, then short coax back to the tv.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #1554

THOR #5196
After months of putting off installing the surge protector that was sitting in the garage I finally got it done! I was originally going to follow Jerry's install and only hook to shore power side before the transfer switch, coach wiring wasn't long enough, had to install after the transfer switch. Took me longer than I thought, spent 30 min cleaning up the crud Thor left, hard to believe someone does such sloppy work! I would be ashamed if I did that.

The 6 gauge wires were really stiff and hard to manipulate in to the connectors. Glad I got it done but wouldn't want to do it again, back is killing me from all the bending over. Going to have to hit the fermented pain killers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2078.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	5394

Name:	IMG_2079.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	5395
Old 06-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #1555

THOR #5196
While I was at it I installed light for under the bed, and on the control panel door, they've been sitting in the garage with the surge protector! Also including pics of the prop I made for the foot of the bed and the stove top cutting board I ordered.

Name:	IMG_2076.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	5396

Name:	IMG_2080.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	5397

Name:	IMG_2082.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	5398

Name:	IMG_2081.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	5399

Name:	IMG_2083.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	5400

P.S. Monitor came today, glad I followed everyone else and got the 9", don't think I would have been happy with the 7". Go big or stay home!!!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #1556

THOR #5196
Also, on the prop rod for the bed, there is a tee on the bottom end to keep it from sliding. Sure makes it a lot easier to get stuff out from under the bed.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #1557

THOR #2757
Quote:
Also, on the prop rod for the bed, there is a tee on the bottom end to keep it from sliding. Sure makes it a lot easier to get stuff out from under the bed.
Fantastic mods Dave...Good luck with your 9" monitor

Old 06-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #1558

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Sounds like a plan to me. Anxious to get mine ordered tomorrow!

We're going to Galveston in a couple of weeks, have to travel right thru the center of Houston where there is always heavy traffic. I sure being able to see all three cameras at the same time on a better screen will make driving much easier!

Use the mirrors
Old 06-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #1559

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #6007
Nice job...I was am going to order a Progressive 50 for my new ACE 29.3....watched the Progressive fellows video and it didn't look to bad...now I get it that if the wire is too short one is in for a pain-in-butt install.

Am I right there are two monitor options...1. To go adjacent to the box and 2. A second to wire up into the coach....any insights? I realize finding a path for the remote wire might be hard to find...and credible, visible point to put it a possible problem.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #1560

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
Use the mirrors
Funny, never thought of that! Are they those big silver things hanging on the side of the coach?