Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #1981

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I removed the foil tape, used 3M spray adhesive, and filled in all the gaps with foil bubble wrap. Next I used my templates and cut the 3/4" DynaMat. By carefully aligning the templates I had leftover from using just one sheet, so don't order two. I closed up the seams with tape and then using the templates I cut the Dynaliner and stuck it in place. Since the sheets were smaller I had to use several small pieces but cut each to fit and left no gaps. I finished by using the tape to cover all the seams.
SuperD, which thickness Dynaliner did you use over top of the 3/4" Dynamat? I'm getting ready to do the same on our Axis.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #1982

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
SuperD, which thickness Dynaliner did you use over top of the 3/4" Dynamat? I'm getting ready to do the same on our Axis.
I used the one labeled Door kit that covers 12 sq/ft. There are several sheets in the box and I had one left over. I used the full sheets as best I could and then cut smaller pieces to fill in the gaps, the stuff is REALLY sticky. I roll of tape was enough to cover all the seams but I didn't have any left over. Be sure to leave spaces for your mounting bolts, I covered everything and then cut the slots for the bolts.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #1983

THOR #6523
Quote:
I used the one labeled Door kit that covers 12 sq/ft. There are several sheets in the box and I had one left over. I used the full sheets as best I could and then cut smaller pieces to fill in the gaps, the stuff is REALLY sticky. I roll of tape was enough to cover all the seams but I didn't have any left over. Be sure to leave spaces for your mounting bolts, I covered everything and then cut the slots for the bolts.
I haven't seen Dynaliner in sheets, but I did find a roll the same size as the Dynamat I plan to order so I may just go with that. Thanks for the tips!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #1984

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
I haven't seen Dynaliner in sheets, but I did find a roll the same size as the Dynamat I plan to order so I may just go with that. Thanks for the tips!
This is what I put on top of the 3/4" DynaMat.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10435...ywords=dynamat
Old 08-07-2017, 03:32 AM   #1985

THOR #6523
Quote:
This is what I put on top of the 3/4" DynaMat.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10435...ywords=dynamat
Ah ok, thanks for the link. I thought you'd used Dynaliner over the Dynamat.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #1986

THOR #5196
Actually kind of a fun project! Kinda like a jigsaw puzzle and trying to make all the pieces fit. Again, make patterns and use heavy duty scissors. These are what I used, I have several pairs for various things, I once cut a penny in half just to see how tough they were, worked! If you don't want to order from Amazon you can get them at Harbor Freight. https://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Purp...+duty+scissors
Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 AM   #1987

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
I want to say that I am truly impressed with the engineering and ingenuity of the people on this thread!!! I saw this thread back in April/May, but have finally got the chance to read thru it, at least up to page 37. (I just started working 3-11PM shift, and not much is happening now).

I have been thinking of doing some of the same mods that you guys have already done, and it is nice to see the trailblazers at work. I am SO far behind, I don't think I am even in the race, but will let y'all know when I get things done. $$ is part of the problem, but I am currently living in the RV while working, so hopefully I can get started on a few of them.

I really like the simple ones that make a difference for the wife, like the undercounter water filter, the pull chain bathroom vent switch, the freshwater accumulator (however, I'm thinking to use a 4 gal size), etc.

I will be doing more suspension and reliability mods that are listed here.
I started my list of mods and repairs and will publish later to see what else I have missed.

Again, I really enjoy reading this thread and learning from all of you.
More to come later.

BTW, has anyone thought of adding a hose bib to the RV water line, yet? Or Compressed Air tanks for tires,etc, instead of carrying the 6 gal air compressor like I do?

Recie
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 AM   #1988

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makerofsawdust View Post

1. Does anyone know of an always on 12v powerpoint on a 2017 Ford C-Max Energi? Have a BlueOx Patriot Braking System that has a cigarette lighter style plug and I need to pug it in somewhere that is always on.

Thank you for your time and effort in this matter.
I have a 2015 cmax energi and the 12v socket in the rear cargo area stays hot all the time
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #1989

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
I really like the simple ones that make a difference for the wife, like the undercounter water filter, the pull chain bathroom vent switch, the freshwater accumulator (however, I'm thinking to use a 4 gal size), etc.

BTW, has anyone thought of adding a hose bib to the RV water line, yet? Or Compressed Air tanks for tires,etc, instead of carrying the 6 gal air compressor like I do?

Recie
Just a bunch of guys messing around because they enjoy it . While I think a four gallon tank is good it's probably a bit of overkill, probably the bigger I would go is two gallons. Because of the pump flow limitations a bigger tank will probably cause the same problems as no tank, a rising and falling pressure at the faucet between pump cycles.

There isn't really a good place to mount a hose bib and tie in to the water pump, if you find a good place let us know. I have used the outside shower to to fill a bucket to wash the windshield but I don't keep my water tank full so have to be careful about usage. I normally hook up a dual outlet on the campground faucet with one side for the coach and the other for a second hose.

Not sure carrying an air tank is practical, tires take a lot of air and would run the tank down quickly with no way to replenish it. There are several alternatives to a large compressor. This one is what I carry because it's fairly compact and puts out 150 psi. https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...air+compressor

Good luck with your mods, if you have questions just ask, lots of nice people here to help. We've probably already made the boo boo so might keep you from making the same one!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #1990

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
If you want something just to put a few psi into your tires, this is what I use.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-V...tor/1000092575
It's small, 120 psi and can set what psi to inflate your tires and it will shut off. I figured that when on the road I will just need to top off the tires and this handles it pretty well.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #1991
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straatc View Post
I don't have an overhead fan. Any other ideas?
On my ACE the outlets Thor installed are switched and easy enough to tap off for additional items.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #1992
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straatc View Post
I was looking at the ScanGauge but went with Torque Pro app for Android instead. I ordered the Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for $22 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spent the big bucks for the pro version of the app (I think it was $5). I was so impressed with it I bought a refurbished 10" tablet that I mounted on the dash just for it. All together it cost less than the ScanGauge. But the cool factor is a 10!!! I am trying to post a few pictures, but to see it in action there are several videos on Youtube. I have mine to show many things in addition to mileage. Such as vacuum, throttle position, engine load, fuel flow, compass, altimeter, and more. It does not need to be on a network for all that to work. Because it is a tablet, when it is on line I also get weather radar, gas buddy, and backup navigation. I works well and it looks awesome on the dash, but you could just use your android phone.
That's great! How did you mount your tablet?
Old 08-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #1993
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I want to say that I am truly impressed with the engineering and ingenuity of the people on this thread!!! I saw this thread back in April/May, but have finally got the chance to read thru it, at least up to page 37. (I just started working 3-11PM shift, and not much is happening now).

I have been thinking of doing some of the same mods that you guys have already done, and it is nice to see the trailblazers at work. I am SO far behind, I don't think I am even in the race, but will let y'all know when I get things done. $$ is part of the problem, but I am currently living in the RV while working, so hopefully I can get started on a few of them.

I will be doing more suspension and reliability mods that are listed here.
I started my list of mods and repairs and will publish later to see what else I have missed.

Again, I really enjoy reading this thread and learning from all of you.
More to come later.

Recie
Not sure what purpose a hose bibb would accomplish that the outdoor shower head doesn't already accomplish.

I mounted this compressor from Harbor Freight in my battery/hydraulics bay:
https://www.harborfreight.com/12volt...sor-69285.html
Old 08-09-2017, 04:28 AM   #1994

THOR #8249
I'm carrying a 6 gal, Porter-Cable air compressor in the Left rear storage compartment. Comes in handy when you need to boost the tire pressure due to change in temp or just leaks. Also can help with the Toad or bicycles.

I had forgotten about the outside shower, haven't used it as of yet. The only thought about the hose bib is if your dry camping and need to do something you need the hose for, but that probably doesn't happen much. If I were to try it, I would look about tying into the external Kitchen sink in the back. The water lines should be reasonably close to get to.

Got much more priority things to do, like making the cockpit more driver friendly. I hate the ergonomics of it currently. to do almost anything, you have to look down and away from the road. Not good. Really don't like the Axerra stereo system they put in, either, but am learning to handle it, at least until I get the replacement figured out.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:31 AM   #1995

THOR #8249
Quote:
Just a bunch of guys messing around because they enjoy it . While I think a four gallon tank is good it's probably a bit of overkill, probably the bigger I would go is two gallons. Because of the pump flow limitations a bigger tank will probably cause the same problems as no tank, a rising and falling pressure at the faucet between pump cycles.

There isn't really a good place to mount a hose bib and tie in to the water pump, if you find a good place let us know. I have used the outside shower to to fill a bucket to wash the windshield but I don't keep my water tank full so have to be careful about usage. I normally hook up a dual outlet on the campground faucet with one side for the coach and the other for a second hose.

Not sure carrying an air tank is practical, tires take a lot of air and would run the tank down quickly with no way to replenish it. There are several alternatives to a large compressor. This one is what I carry because it's fairly compact and puts out 150 psi. https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...air+compressor

Good luck with your mods, if you have questions just ask, lots of nice people here to help. We've probably already made the boo boo so might keep you from making the same one!
D, I like the 1 or 2 gal accumulator idea too, but haven't seen them for sale in my research. Found lots of 4 gal. I'm probably looking in wrong place.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #1996

THOR #5196
Quote:
Got much more priority things to do, like making the cockpit more driver friendly. I hate the ergonomics of it currently. to do almost anything, you have to look down and away from the road. Not good. Really don't like the Axerra stereo system they put in, either, but am learning to handle it, at least until I get the replacement figured out.
One of the things you might think about is a 9" monitor for your cameras, several members have installed one and love it. We used a quad monitor that lets you see one, two, or all of your cameras at the same time. Installation is pretty easy and only takes about 30 minutes. The radio works pretty good as a radio but not as a monitor, it's cheaper and easier to add the 9" monitor than it is to replace the radio and you have a much larger screen to look at. Something to think about.

If you do an online search for 1 gallon accumulator tanks there are several available. I went to MSN/Bing for the search.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #1997

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
saw this on Thor Facebook page for you 29M guys

So, here's the next little "hack" we just did on our 2017 Windsport 29M. The wooden "vent" for the furnace, under the fridge, is normally held in place with four long screws. I converted it to a hinged door-style so I can easily and quickly open it.
The main reason being that we are installing a free-standing vent-free propane heater that will run off of a "tee" in the main furnace gas line under there. There will be a second shut-off valve there for when we're not using the new heater, so we'll now have easy access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1502294403119.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	6279   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1502294395174.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	6280  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1502294390929.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	6281  

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #1998

THOR #5196
Go plan, looks factory!

P.S. Under your avatar you need to change you coach model!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #1999
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Someone on here also replaced the screws on that vent with magnets. Then it would just pull off.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #2000
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
D, I like the 1 or 2 gal accumulator idea too, but haven't seen them for sale in my research. Found lots of 4 gal. I'm probably looking in wrong place.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1