Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #2001

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Another Mod Bites The Dust

Installed the BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices this afternoon and paired it with my tablet and phone. Easy to install and pair. The second picture show the default display on my tablet but you can modify the gauges. The Android App cost $4.95 and the OBDII cost $21.99. I AM IMPRESSED! Good investment!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_154002.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	6292   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_153914.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	6293  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #2002

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
So, here's the next little "hack" we just did on our 2017 Windsport 29M. The wooden "vent" for the furnace, under the fridge, is normally held in place with four long screws. I converted it to a hinged door-style so I can easily and quickly open it.
The main reason being that we are installing a free-standing vent-free propane heater that will run off of a "tee" in the main furnace gas line under there. There will be a second shut-off valve there for when we're not using the new heater, so we'll now have easy access.
Sweet mod!!! Guess I better get busy!!

Old 08-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #2003

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Someone on here also replaced the screws on that vent with magnets. Then it would just pull off.
That would work too!!!!

Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #2004

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Installed the BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices this afternoon and paired it with my tablet and phone. Easy to install and pair. The second picture show the default display on my tablet but you can modify the gauges. The Android App cost $4.95 and the OBDII cost $21.99. I AM IMPRESSED! Good investment!!
AWSOME!!!

I've been hunting around for a cheap used Android tablet, the apps available for iPads aren't that great. Did you find s good mount for the tablet?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #2005

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We just installed Shade-Man roller shades in the dining/living area and the big window in the bedroom to replace the pleated shades. The sun screen is great as it allows some light in but provides shade and visibility out, and the blackout shades work as advertised. No more stupid strings to mess with or restring!

Name:	20170809_094912.jpeg
Views:	448
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	6298
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:40 AM   #2006

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
We just installed Shade-Man roller shades in the dining/living area and the big window in the bedroom to replace the pleated shades. The sun screen is great as it allows some light in but provides shade and visibility out, and the blackout shades work as advertised. No more stupid strings to mess with or restring!

Attachment 6298
Nice
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:44 AM   #2007

THOR #3156
Quote:
Dino,
Thats in my amazon cart now. Just waiting for the neck to heal up a bit more. Ill use my cell and/or marias tablet.

I mainly want to view engine temp, tranny temp, oil presure.

Jerry

ps some how i know you were going to get this
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-10-2017, 02:09 AM   #2008

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
One of the things you might think about is a 9" monitor for your cameras, several members have installed one and love it. We used a quad monitor that lets you see one, two, or all of your cameras at the same time. Installation is pretty easy and only takes about 30 minutes. The radio works pretty good as a radio but not as a monitor, it's cheaper and easier to add the 9" monitor than it is to replace the radio and you have a much larger screen to look at. Something to think about.

If you do an online search for 1 gallon accumulator tanks there are several available. I went to MSN/Bing for the search.
Yes, I saw that monitor mod on some of the back threads. While that mod is better than the stock, I'm liking a bank of 3 smaller monitors across dash, in front of steering wheel. Then all I have to do is change by eye focus to them to see the situation on all sides without the delay of the switching electronics. I'm still looking for equipment and not sure it will work out. If not, I'll be implementing the one y'all have.

I'll go look for the smaller tanks. In fact, I noticed someone posted a link to a 2 gal on Amazon for me.
Thanx,
Recie
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 AM   #2009

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Thanx, I like the look of it. Another piece of equipment to put on the "waiting on the money" list.
Recie
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:17 AM   #2010

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:

That cockpits going to look like a 747..lol that's I bought me a ...mobley ...to hook to my obd2 port...20$ month unlimited data
Old 08-10-2017, 02:35 AM   #2011

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Yes, I saw that monitor mod on some of the back threads. While that mod is better than the stock, I'm liking a bank of 3 smaller monitors across dash, in front of steering wheel. Then all I have to do is change by eye focus to them to see the situation on all sides without the delay of the switching electronics. I'm still looking for equipment and not sure it will work out. If not, I'll be implementing the one y'all have.

I'll go look for the smaller tanks. In fact, I noticed someone posted a link to a 2 gal on Amazon for me.
Thanx,
Recie
You can set the monitor to view the three cameras at one time. Also if you dont like the camera switching when you use a signal or reverse you dont have to hook tgat up. Heres how i drive with mine. Rear camera on left. Left camera upper right, right camera lower right.

Jerry

FMCA # F464385
Old 08-10-2017, 03:35 AM   #2012

THOR #5196
The nice thing about the monitor Jerry posted a picture of is the compatibility and easy installation. Thor uses a five pin camera connection and this monitor hooks right up, most of the ones on Amazon and other sites use an RCA connection that is not compatible.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #2013

Model: Windsport 34J
THOR #8735
Cold Air intake

Hello to the Mod group.

I just purchased my new to me 2016.5 Windsport 34J.
I noticed that no one has mentioned a Cold Air intake kit for the Ford F53. On my now sold '04 Fleetwood Jamboree GT 31W 4 Speed, I put on a K&N Cold air intake. This Mod would allow me to keep up with my Father in-law who had the 5 speed V-10 on grades. Banks power makes a several kits for the F53 V-10 Ford. I was a heaver coach than him as well.

Banks Power | Making Your Motorhome Better Than New

I know from reading this thread that you guys are always looking for the next Modification... Thanks for letting me be see all the things that I could do to my coach. Retirement for me is way off in the horizon
2004 Fleetwood Jamboree GT 31W --- Sold
Kake95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #2014

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kake95 View Post
Hello to the Mod group.

I noticed that no one has mentioned a Cold Air intake kit for the Ford F53. On my now sold '04 Fleetwood Jamboree GT 31W 4 Speed, I put on a K&N Cold air intake. This Mod would allow me to keep up with my Father in-law who had the 5 speed V-10 on grades. Banks power makes a several kits for the F53 V-10 Ford. I was a heaver coach than him as well.

I know from reading this thread that you guys are always looking for the next Modification... Thanks for letting me be see all the things that I could do to my coach. Retirement for me is way off in the horizon
Congratulations on your coach and welcome to the forum!!! Nice to have a new member!

Banks makes great stuff but they are a little proud of their prices. Dino and I add a "Hillbilly" cold air intake on our coaches made from a recycled clothes dryer vent and tubing, zip tied it to the grill. Does it make a difference, don't know but something fun to mess with.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #2015

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
AWSOME!!!

I've been hunting around for a cheap used Android tablet, the apps available for iPads aren't that great. Did you find s good mount for the tablet?
Have not found a good mount yet Dave but when I do, you will be the first to know buddy!!! Give our best to Myra!

Old 08-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #2016

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post

Attachment 6298
Sweet!!

Old 08-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #2017

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Dino,
Thats in my amazon cart now. Just waiting for the neck to heal up a bit more. Ill use my cell and/or marias tablet.

I mainly want to view engine temp, tranny temp, oil presure.

Jerry

ps some how i know you were going to get this
We know each other pretty well don't we my friend? How are you feeling??

Old 08-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #2018

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kake95 View Post
Hello to the Mod group.

This is the cold air intake several of us installed on our MH:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170220_130140.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	6303   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170220_130156.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	6304  

Old 08-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #2019

THOR #3753
I am sure some will disagree with me on this, but i thought i may as well throw this thought out there.
I have to disagree with the "cold air drier vent intake kit". the purpose of the banks and KN kit is to eliminate restrictions that are in the intake tube leading to the throttle body. the stock molding of the intake tube has to work in all possible scenarios that ford may see the engine installed in. so the thought is to make is as tight to the motor as possible along with creating a intake signal that plays in to the emissions and cam design.
Banks and KN on the other hand have taken a already installed motor and measured the surrounding area to determine what the best possible design may be that can fit in the space given. along with that they dyno test the design to make sure the torque curve is where they want it based on the design. all this means they are expensive.
The dyer vent idea is based on the theory that you are getting colder air from the front of the rig, and through that ducting getting it to the motor to make more power. the idea is great but i see it as increasing the length of the "straw" that the motor must suck through. i could see this working if the intake were behind the radiator in the engine compartment but it is not. the intake location, stock, is in front of the radiator in a high pressure are, at highway speed, that already has the coldest air possible.
the intake system on any naturally aspirated engine is in a constant state of vacuum when running. the purpose of the intake kit from banks and KN is to reduce that vacuum and make it easier for the engine to fill the chamber on every intake stroke. the only way to do that is to reduce restriction in front of the throttle body through larger tubing and a less restrictive air filter. that will provide much more power than any amount of cold air through a stock intake tube.
Just my thought.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #2020

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter View Post
I am sure some will disagree with me on this, but i thought i may as well throw this thought out there.
I have to disagree with the "cold air drier vent intake kit". the purpose of the banks and KN kit is to eliminate restrictions that are in the intake tube leading to the throttle body. the stock molding of the intake tube has to work in all possible scenarios that ford may see the engine installed in. so the thought is to make is as tight to the motor as possible along with creating a intake signal that plays in to the emissions and cam design.
Banks and KN on the other hand have taken a already installed motor and measured the surrounding area to determine what the best possible design may be that can fit in the space given. along with that they dyno test the design to make sure the torque curve is where they want it based on the design. all this means they are expensive.
The dyer vent idea is based on the theory that you are getting colder air from the front of the rig, and through that ducting getting it to the motor to make more power. the idea is great but i see it as increasing the length of the "straw" that the motor must suck through. i could see this working if the intake were behind the radiator in the engine compartment but it is not. the intake location, stock, is in front of the radiator in a high pressure are, at highway speed, that already has the coldest air possible.
the intake system on any naturally aspirated engine is in a constant state of vacuum when running. the purpose of the intake kit from banks and KN is to reduce that vacuum and make it easier for the engine to fill the chamber on every intake stroke. the only way to do that is to reduce restriction in front of the throttle body through larger tubing and a less restrictive air filter. that will provide much more power than any amount of cold air through a stock intake tube.
Just my thought.
While in "theory" what you say is correct I don't believe it's true in the real world. Numerous tests have shown that the only time a K&N filter has any real advantage is a wide open throttle. Particulate tests show K&N passes more grit. K&N filters were developed with racing in mind where engines are running WFO, in those circumstances yes they will flow more air and if a little more dirt gets in that's ok because the engine will most likely be rebuilt after 2-3 races. As for the difference in power, usually less than 1%, but again only at higher rpm's. Will a complete banks intake kit provide more power, if you measure on a dyno you may see a very minor increase, but again at only at higher rpm. The differences you can measure from one coach to another can be attributed more to each engine making a little more HP than the other from the factory. Are you willing to sacrifice ingested dirt for a maybe increase in HP that you can't feel and can barely measure, not me.

If you install a complete Banks kit, intake and exhaust, will there be a difference, absolutely, but it will be primarily from the exhaust! But you're going to fork over some big bucks!

I started building racing engines of all kinds back in the 60's, I've read technical journals, studied dyno charts, cars, boats, motorcycles. I'm not an expert but I am experienced. In the real world you aren't going to run your motorhome engine at high revs very often, most of the time a coach engine rarely sees 4,000 rpm.

Dino and I installed our dryer vent intakes just playing around because we had the stuff to do it and I figured out it would fit. Do we get any real world benefit, probably not, am I going to take mine off, probably not.

On older motorhomes with carburetors and screw on filters with snorkels behind the radiator and drawing hot air having cooler air from the front did help. Most modern engines are designed to draw cooler air to begin with, neither our cheap mod or a Banks intake is going to be of much benefit. The biggest difference is ours was practically free.