Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #2261

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Why are you changing them.??

Changing them will allow us to charge our phones/tablets were sitting outside under the awning drinking a cold one!!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #2262

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Costco has 110v receptacles with 2 USB charging ports, 4 for $40 online but I found 2 for $20 in my local store. These are Feit brand with 3.5 amps. https://m.costco.com/Feit-Electric-4...100384764.html

Old 10-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #2263

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
More pics of 12V/USB outlets

Hey Dino, my wife really wants a place to plug in her IPhone when she goes to sleep. Where did you tie in the 12v USB plugs over the bed? Did you use the lights wiring?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #2264
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
Hey Dino, my wife really wants a place to plug in her IPhone when she goes to sleep. Where did you tie in the 12v USB plugs over the bed? Did you use the lights wiring?
Keep in mind that if you mount those with the plugs facing you you'll have a very bright blue LED shining in your face all night.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #2265

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Good point Jamie, I was thinking about mounting just a usb outlet on the underside of the cabinet. I’ll look for one with no lights [emoji41]
Old 10-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #2266

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
How is the healing going, Jerry? I wondered if that was why I had not seen much "activity" from your part of CA.
Its going well. I feel better everyday. Doctor says 6 month for total healing so thats January. Not allowed to lift anything heavy and he wants to limit my turnung movements. So i have to wait until January to work on the mh or take any trips.

Its tough for me to sit a round all the time but i have to follow doctors orders.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #2267

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Its going well. I feel better everyday. Doctor says 6 month for total healing so thats January. Not allowed to lift anything heavy and he wants to limit my turnung movements. So i have to wait until January to work on the mh or take any trips.

Its tough for me to sit a round all the time but i have to follow doctors orders.

Jerry
Yep, the Dr. Seems to know best in most cases. I had the same advice for my knee replacement. Stay the course, I'm sure things will work out fine.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #2268

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Yep, the Dr. Seems to know best in most cases. I had the same advice for my knee replacement. Stay the course, I'm sure things will work out fine.
Thats what im doing. Once i get the ok to do work I'll be posting more mods

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #2269

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
There should be 110 outlets on both sides of the on the bed frame near the head. I purchased two 6 foot charging cords from Amazon and used them to run down to the plugs. Since that time I have purchased an alarm clock at Walmart that has a usb outlet, it’s now plugged in to the 110 and my phone to that. I like being able to look at the clock and see what time it is without my glasses!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #2270

Model: windsport 34P
State: Michigan
THOR #9078
Hi folks, I'm new to this and I'm not sure where this question or post is going to show2 up. Anyway I'm on page 74 of 114 pages, but I'm dying to ask a few questions; but first, if watering house batteries are a must, are you also watering the RV (engine) battery? My wife and I are new to RVing Class A. Until now, we've owned every possible tag trailer.

We bought a 2017 Thor Windstar 34P. We love our RV and I've added a few of the items you have been discussing before I found this Thread. I'm full of ideas now and will probably install most of these. I was thinking of making a spread sheet showing the idea (or modification) who is the expert, what page of thread was it discussed on, and what web page to buy it.

Anyway, are you watering your engine battery too?

John & Deb
both retired
both live in Troy, MI
Old 10-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #2271

THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!! Big transition from trailers to class A but the basics are the same.

The house batteries do require water but he coach battery is maintenance free. I usually only need to add water to my house batteries about 2-3 times a year.

Love your idea of a spreadsheet, it’s a real PIA having to look thru so many pages trying to find a specific idea. Let us know how it goes, sure there will be a lot of interested people!!!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #2272

THOR #2757
Another mod bites the dust

Installed a new 110V duplex/USB outlet on the outside of our 2017 Windsport 29M. I wanted the ability to charge our phones/tablets via USB while we were outside doing "stuff"

Pictures attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171020_121652.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	7412   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171020_121741.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	7413  

Name:	20171020_131722.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	7414   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171020_131705.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	7415  

Old 10-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #2273

THOR #2757
Quote:
Yes I did!

Old 10-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #2274

THOR #5196
Quote:
Installed a new 110V duplex/USB outlet on the outside of our 2017 Windsport 29M. I wanted the ability to charge our phones/tablets via USB while we were outside doing "stuff"

Pictures attached
Another Great job Dino!!! Again, looks factory!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #2275

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Another Great job Dino!!! Again, looks factory!
Thanks Dave! How are you and Myra doing with the big move and all?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #2276

THOR #5196
Quote:
Thanks Dave! How are you and Myra doing with the big move and all?

Not to good. Buyers of our house in Dallas decided at the last minute to change lenders which has delayed closing until first week in Nov. United is delivering our furniture, and most everything else we own, tomorrow, fortunately the builder is letting us store in the garage so we don’t have to move twice, just have to hire labor to move the big stuff when we can actually move in. Don’t know where we are going to stay after the end of Oct, all the parks here close for the winter then. We have to go about 2 hours south to find a campground that is open year round. This move has turned into a REAL headache, we should have closed and been in the house today!!! Move will happen but the suspense is killing us! Thanks for asking!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #2277

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Not to good. Buyers of our house in Dallas decided at the last minute to change lenders which has delayed closing until first week in Nov. United is delivering our furniture, and most everything else we own, tomorrow, fortunately the builder is letting us store in the garage so we don’t have to move twice, just have to hire labor to move the big stuff when we can actually move in. Don’t know where we are going to stay after the end of Oct, all the parks here close for the winter then. We have to go about 2 hours south to find a campground that is open year round. This move has turned into a REAL headache, we should have closed and been in the house today!!! Move will happen but the suspense is killing us! Thanks for asking!
WOW!! Got our fingers crossed!!! Hang in there!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:45 PM   #2278

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerfolk View Post
Hi folks, I'm new to this and I'm not sure where this question or post is going to show2 up. Anyway I'm on page 74 of 114 pages, but I'm dying to ask a few questions; but first, if watering house batteries are a must, are you also watering the RV (engine) battery? My wife and I are new to RVing Class A. Until now, we've owned every possible tag trailer.

We bought a 2017 Thor Windstar 34P. We love our RV and I've added a few of the items you have been discussing before I found this Thread. I'm full of ideas now and will probably install most of these. I was thinking of making a spread sheet showing the idea (or modification) who is the expert, what page of thread was it discussed on, and what web page to buy it.

Anyway, are you watering your engine battery too?

John & Deb
both retired
both live in Troy, MI

My engine battery is not maintenance free so yes I have to add water to it. Its only needed water one time in the year I have had it. Its easy to get to so not a problem like the house batteries.

John have you gotten to the page about the Flow Rite battery filler yet??? Its a must have mod for a 29M Not sure if you can get to your batteries or not. If its difficult get a flow rite sysrem.

John if you do a spreadsheet, lots of work to do it, go by post number not page number. Pages will differ by computer or cell phone which I use most of the time. Cell phone is very easy to post pics and I have it on me all the time.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #2279

THOR #3156
Dave,
I hope things get done for you guys soon. Its a pain to move and to have this other stuff happen make it even worse.

Dino,
I like the new outside plug and may copy you again. I'll have to think about it. THe new bedroom plugs look great also but I dont have a need for them. The plugs in the bedroom and drivers area have worked for us without problems so until something comes up I'll stick to what we have.

On another note I went to the Doctor this morning and everything is going well. He took me off the hard neck brace last month and now Im off the soft collar brace. He said I can start doing a little more around the house but not to get carried away. So I might start the doghouse insulation project and get serious measurements for a new reclining theater seat to replace the sofa.
Also might measure for the roof drip rail that I also want to do. Measuring is all I can do for now. Install is still a couple months out.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #2280

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
A few things I've done over the last couple of months

The work Dino has been showing reminded me of a couple of things I've done on mine lately.
Fixed small leak in Shower Faucets:
I noticed a constant bead of water at the base of the shower under the faucets, investigated and found the faucet connections were the culprit (see "ShowerLeak" pic). However, there was absolutely no slack between the wall and the faucet to access the connections, so I used a coupling and nipple to space the faucets such that I could assure a tight connection. Also used a good bit of teflon tape. (See Shower 2)

Kitchen storage and Power:
Since I live in this thing, I would like to leave a couple appliances out and plugged in for convenience. However, with only one power outlet at the kitchen sink/stove area, that was a problem. So I used a small power strip and some Command velcro and fixed that situation. (See KitchenPower). I also had bigger spoons, spatuala, etc., that cluttered the drawers. So I found a 5-hook "thingee" in walmart and installed it on the wall by the stovetop. (See KitchenHanger)

Ethernet (Cat 5) connection:
My neighbor has HughesNet and offered to let me tie into it for internet service. I installed a couple of Cat 5 connections and routed a Cat 5 cable up to a new Wireless router in the RV. Now I'm using WiFi instead of Data.
(See Cat5-1,4, and 6) I installed the inside port on the refrigerator wall in the bedroom by the window and routed the wire up the side of the cabinet to the router over the refrigerator. Router power is plugged into the same outlet as the bedroom TV. Outside the Cat 5 cable runs from the other side of the fridge wall out the fridge vent where I installed another wall outlet. I'll figure something to weather proof it that looks nice, but for now duct tape suffices.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cat5-1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	7422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat5-4.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	7423  

Name:	Cat5-6.jpg