Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2017, 12:04 AM   #2281

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Ooops! photo names didn't come into the post! Oh Well, maybe the correlation will be self evident.

Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:55 AM   #2282

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Dave,
I hope things get done for you guys soon. Its a pain to move and to have this other stuff happen make it even worse.

On another note I went to the Doctor this morning and everything is going well. He took me off the hard neck brace last month and now Im off the soft collar brace. He said I can start doing a little more around the house but not to get carried away. So I might start the doghouse insulation project and get serious measurements for a new reclining theater seat to replace the sofa.
Also might measure for the roof drip rail that I also want to do. Measuring is all I can do for now. Install is still a couple months out.

Jerry
Happy to hear the doctor has released you from the neck brace, means you’re making good progress! Good for you!!!
Old 10-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #2283

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerfolk View Post
Hi folks, I'm new to this and I'm not sure where this question or post is going to show2 up. Anyway I'm on page 74 of 114 pages, but I'm dying to ask a few questions; but first, if watering house batteries are a must, are you also watering the RV (engine) battery? My wife and I are new to RVing Class A. Until now, we've owned every possible tag trailer.

We bought a 2017 Thor Windstar 34P. We love our RV and I've added a few of the items you have been discussing before I found this Thread. I'm full of ideas now and will probably install most of these. I was thinking of making a spread sheet showing the idea (or modification) who is the expert, what page of thread was it discussed on, and what web page to buy it.

Anyway, are you watering your engine battery too?

John & Deb
both retired
both live in Troy, MI

Creating a spreadsheet is a fantastic idea!!! Go for it!!!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #2284

THOR #2757
Quote:
Dave,
I hope things get done for you guys soon. Its a pain to move and to have this other stuff happen make it even worse.

Dino,
I like the new outside plug and may copy you again. I'll have to think about it. THe new bedroom plugs look great also but I dont have a need for them. The plugs in the bedroom and drivers area have worked for us without problems so until something comes up I'll stick to what we have.

On another note I went to the Doctor this morning and everything is going well. He took me off the hard neck brace last month and now Im off the soft collar brace. He said I can start doing a little more around the house but not to get carried away. So I might start the doghouse insulation project and get serious measurements for a new reclining theater seat to replace the sofa.
Also might measure for the roof drip rail that I also want to do. Measuring is all I can do for now. Install is still a couple months out.

Jerry

Old 10-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #2285

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
The work Dino has been showing reminded me of a couple of things I've done on mine lately.
Fixed small leak in Shower Faucets:
I noticed a constant bead of water at the base of the shower under the faucets, investigated and found the faucet connections were the culprit (see "ShowerLeak" pic). However, there was absolutely no slack between the wall and the faucet to access the connections, so I used a coupling and nipple to space the faucets such that I could assure a tight connection. Also used a good bit of teflon tape. (See Shower 2)

Kitchen storage and Power:
Since I live in this thing, I would like to leave a couple appliances out and plugged in for convenience. However, with only one power outlet at the kitchen sink/stove area, that was a problem. So I used a small power strip and some Command velcro and fixed that situation. (See KitchenPower). I also had bigger spoons, spatuala, etc., that cluttered the drawers. So I found a 5-hook "thingee" in walmart and installed it on the wall by the stovetop. (See KitchenHanger)

Ethernet (Cat 5) connection:
My neighbor has HughesNet and offered to let me tie into it for internet service. I installed a couple of Cat 5 connections and routed a Cat 5 cable up to a new Wireless router in the RV. Now I'm using WiFi instead of Data.
(See Cat5-1,4, and 6) I installed the inside port on the refrigerator wall in the bedroom by the window and routed the wire up the side of the cabinet to the router over the refrigerator. Router power is plugged into the same outlet as the bedroom TV. Outside the Cat 5 cable runs from the other side of the fridge wall out the fridge vent where I installed another wall outlet. I'll figure something to weather proof it that looks nice, but for now duct tape suffices.

Nice work!!

Old 10-22-2017, 01:12 AM   #2286

Model: windsport 34P
State: Michigan
THOR #9078
Hi again. Has anyone taken a deep dive into the differences between the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer and the Safe-T-Plus Steering Control? I think this tread favors the Safe-T-Plus Steering Control, has anyone tried the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer?
Old 10-22-2017, 03:18 AM   #2287

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Hi again. Has anyone taken a deep dive into the differences between the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer and the Safe-T-Plus Steering Control? I think this tread favors the Safe-T-Plus Steering Control, has anyone tried the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer?
From what ive read they are both excellent producrs. I have the safe t plus but i didnt buy it. Dealer put it on as part of the deal. I just told them i wanted something added and let them pick.

I dont think you would go wrong with either if them

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #2288

THOR #5196
Quote:
The two do pretty much the same thing. The RM has the centering spring on the outside which makes it more vulnerable to damage, internal valuing is different. The STP has an internal centering spring which is protected, again valving is different, outside diameter is smaller.

I don’t recall ever seeing a direct comparison between the two stabilizers. The STP was created by a trucker who was tired of seeing his friends hurt in accidents caused by front tire blowouts. If you go to STP outside of Atlanta they’ll install and adjust for free.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #2289

THOR #2757
I lucked out and got the STP for free. My brother ordered the wrong one for his MH and gave it to me since it was the right one for my MH!!

Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #2290

THOR #9078
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmblaster View Post
Well lets see if i can make it more clear if you have this black box and not the silver one
[/URL]
it gets cut out you will not use anymore you will find a white connector with 5 wires looks like this [/URL]
you cut the wires and tie into the harness that comes with the monitor with butt connectors I found a new connector and wired it up the harness not a fan of splices
you will need to buy 3 adapter cables see parts list [/URL][/IMG]
then its just a matter of hooking up the 3 cameras and trigger wires to new harness hope its as clear as mud now lol
I'm sorry to back you guys up, but this is the first time I heard of the 3 adapters I need to buy??? Also I removed the dash access panel and I can't find a silver/black box to remove. Unfortunately, all I see is a massive wiring harness and lots of air / venting hoses. Is there another thread that talks about this monitor? Why this monitor; are there others to choose? I've got loads of carts loaded (Amazon, champing world, rear view safety, etc.) waiting to pull the "buy" switch and I'm worried I won't be able to get this stuff installed. Please help as you always seem to do.

John
Old 10-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #2291

THOR #3156
Quote:
I'm sorry to back you guys up, but this is the first time I heard of the 3 adapters I need to buy??? Also I removed the dash access panel and I can't find a silver/black box to remove. Unfortunately, all I see is a massive wiring harness and lots of air / venting hoses. Is there another thread that talks about this monitor? Why this monitor; are there others to choose? I've got loads of carts loaded (Amazon, champing world, rear view safety, etc.) waiting to pull the "buy" switch and I'm worried I won't be able to get this stuff installed. Please help as you always seem to do.

John
The adapter cables are needed for the older boxes. The ones we have are a direct connect to the new monitor.

That box should be there but probably hidden. If you reach inside to the back of the radio you'll find an rca type cable. Follow it out and it will lead you to the box.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-23-2017, 12:48 AM   #2292

THOR #9078
thanks Jerry, I'll go diving into the dash abiss tomorrow..
Old 10-23-2017, 12:54 AM   #2293

THOR #5196
Look down and to the right or look under the dash just to the left of the radio and on top of the carpet. If you don’t see the silver box then do as Jerry said and find the rca cable, it’s not very long.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:43 AM   #2294

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Sundance
Here's a pic of the front sway bar chf. You can see the bolt is in the inside hole. It comes from the factory in the outside hole.

Are you aware of a video of this mod showing the actual job start to finish? I would like to do it but can only find still photos of the bolts in the top hole then the bottom AND videos of before and after. Nothing showing it all. I would like to see just how this is done and what and how it needs with tools.
Thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:06 AM   #2295

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
Are you aware of a video of this mod showing the actual job start to finish? I would like to do it but can only find still photos of the bolts in the top hole then the bottom AND videos of before and after. Nothing showing it all. I would like to see just how this is done and what and how it needs with tools.
Thanks.
Sorry im not aware of any vidoes showing start to finish. The front is very easy. I can do it now in 15 minutes. Unbolt each side, use a bottle jack to raise the bar, install bolts in new position, blue loctite on threads tighten to 66 lbs with torque wrench.

Back is similar but there is a bracket on the sway bar that needs to be reversed. But same instuctions as for the front.

Im not a mechanic, not close to being one. I was very intimidated after crawling under the coach. It took me
1 1/2-2 hours to do both.

Do youtube searches. And go to irv2.com. they have a thread that will take you a month to read all about chf.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #2296

THOR #5196
A few thoughts after living in our coach for almost 5 weeks:

All in all we have been pretty comfortable and have no real complaints. Our coach has performed better than expected and I’m glad we chose the 29M floor plan, plenty of room for two people to be comfortable. I would like to make note of some of the things we have discovered after spending an extended period of time in our coach.

The foam in the dinette cushion is terrible and uncomfortable, it compresses into a board quickly and takes a while to rebound. The cushions have a removable cover, I will at some point be taking them to an upholstery shop for better foam, shouldn’t be to expensive since the covers zip off.

2. Lack of pantry space. I got a small plastic tote that just fits in the oven with the racks removed. The oven makes a great place to store canned and boxed foods. The extra space under the front facing dinette seat is very handy to use. Again, a plastic tote helps keep it organized.

3. The sofa is a comfortable place for naps!

4. I put a rubber grip pad made for rugs under the mattress to keep it from sliding around so much, works great.

5. The led lights over the bed are to bright! I bought some static cling window tint, used the covers as patterns, and cut out two discs. I cut a small hole in the center of each disc to allow for the switch, cut the disc from the edge to the center hole to allow for the cup shape of the light cover, laid the tint in the cover and reinstalled. Much better, plenty of light but not as harsh now.

6. A small electric ceramic heater works well to keep the inside warm and cut down on propane usage. Have to be careful which circuit you plug into and turn off when using other high wattage items. Temps are getting in the low 30’s here at night, we only use the furnace first thing but n the morning, ceramic heater takes care of the rest of the day.

7. There is no sewer in this park, tanks are good for about 3-4 days before we have to call the honey wagon. As many have discovered, there is a ledge in the black tank under the toilet which tends to clog unless you use plenty of water to flush. I’ve had to use a hose and sprayer to unclog the toilet a couple of times, VERY poor design and it probably wasn’t necessary to do it this way.

8. The light for the overhead bunk makes a nice nightlight in the evening when watching tv.

9. Lots of room under the bed for storage but a PIA if you have get under there very often. The strut I installed helps but the bed is still heavy to lift.

10. I had previously cut and installed Reflextix in the back emergency exit window to darken the bedroom, I think it also helps with keeping the bedroom warmer.

We still haven’t closed on our new house yet so we’ll be in the coach for a while longer. We made a good choice when buying this coach and if I was doing it again I would buy the same one!!!
Old 10-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #2297

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Good info, SuperD! Thanks!!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #2298

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
SuperD, I resemble some of those comments about continuous living in the RV. I'm working on 2.5 months now. However, I'm by myself except for weekends when the wife comes over.
Pantry space - currently we use the cabinets over the sofa for most of the dry goods. However, not sure how things will work out when we full-time it.
Dinette Foam - I have to agree. Works for now, but gets hard pretty quick.
Bedroom reading lights - really bright and hard on the eyes. I installed a "tap light" with a frosted lens for myself.
Grip Pad for mattress - I will have to try that!
Storage under bed - Agree totally, along with the PIA getting into it.
Black Water Tank - I think I need more info on this so I might PM you on it. Not sure what is really going on with mine, but the level sensors are always wrong. Also seems to be more odorous than it should be in the bathroom.

I find that if I want to use the driver/passenger area for an office or just to see very much there, I'm going to have to put some type of lighting on the bottom of the fwd bed. Gets kinda dark under there.

Reflectix - Great stuff. I have it in the front windows, rear and side windows. Still need to cut some for the dinette window. Thinking to put some on the inside of the upper cabinets where we store dry goods to keep things cooler. Lost some bellpeppers up there this last summer.

Don't forget about the storage under the sofa. I'm storing bedding and a couple bottles of wine there.

Hope you get into your house soon.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #2299

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
SuperD, I resemble some of those comments about continuous living in the RV. I'm working on 2.5 months now. However, I'm by myself except for weekends when the wife comes over.

I find that if I want to use the driver/passenger area for an office or just to see very much there, I'm going to have to put some type of lighting on the bottom of the fwd bed. Gets kinda dark under there.
As an idea for office space, I cut a piece of 1/4 inch hardboard to lay over the flip down computer tray and extend it. This gave me room for my laptop, a 2nd monitor, a real keyboard, and the mouse. (I am a software geek.) Cut it to fit all the way to the window and about halfway back over the well under the flip down tray. With a taper on the left side, I can swivel the chair to get in and out of the office. The board stores behind the seat for travel.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #2300

THOR #8977
SuperD,

As a Realtor for almost 20 years, I’m sorry about your housing situation. Wish I could help. The rest of us appreciate your observations and willingness to help with our Windsports. I’m sitting on the Pacific coast right now in my 29M as I type this. Foggy today. However, yesterday was epic. Dolphins graced my photos of sunset and we had bioluminescence with the crashing waves.

I have now read through this thread 2x cover to cover. I feel like I know a few of you pretty well even though I have been a lurker for far too long.

Received my “diamond” grill yesterday from Thor and installed it. Haven’t moved the coach since then, so I am assuming it will help.

Good luck with the housing and cold Indiana winters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A4FAF4E-A460-4002-A552-5093D4FC7C33.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	7518  
Eeeride is offline   Reply With Quote