Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #2321

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Thanks for the info. Don. I heard that the center of the Keys got hit harder than Key West due to the path of the storm. I know that one of the restaurants we like is gone.
US 1 Summerland Key
Attached Files

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #2322

Model: windsport 34P
State: Michigan
THOR #9078
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
The adapter cables are needed for the older boxes. The ones we have are a direct connect to the new monitor.

That box should be there but probably hidden. If you reach inside to the back of the radio you'll find an rca type cable. Follow it out and it will lead you to the box.

Jerry
Hi all,

Well I found the silver box (RVS-501N-3, SWITCHER BOX which sells for $79.99 (https://www.rearviewsafety.com/the-s...vs-501n-3.html)) and choose to pull it down to the driver's floor area.

I disconnected the wiring harness from switcher box (SB) and spliced each wire to the new monitor wiring harness using some slick wire taps found at Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). A little pricy but really easy. I then plugged yellow RCA out in the new wiring harness to the Radio RCA plug in. Now I can also view what's on the monitor on the radio by pressing the camera button.

Thanks all for your help, ideas and great wiring diagrams!

I choose to route the cable to the new monitor thru the steering column opening and up to the monitor. This way I can easily reinstall the SB and remove the monitor if we trade in this RV and move the great monitor to the next RV.

I am also showing in the last photo a trash container and floor mat that I found that's working great for us (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1) & (https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...27-brown/91522).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor wiring.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	7622   Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor finished.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	7623  

Name:	trash container.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	7624  
Old 11-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #2323

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Tip of the week

TIP OF THE WEEK:

Check your awning on a regular basis. I just did and found several HEX screws loose!! If you don't have a 4 mm hex key, get one

https://youtu.be/5kU1kXQbvKY

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #2324

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
US 1 Summerland Key
Oh my!!

Old 11-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #2325

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerfolk View Post
Hi all,

Well I found the silver box (RVS-501N-3, SWITCHER BOX which sells for $79.99 (https://www.rearviewsafety.com/the-s...vs-501n-3.html)) and choose to pull it down to the driver's floor area.

I disconnected the wiring harness from switcher box (SB) and spliced each wire to the new monitor wiring harness using some slick wire taps found at Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). A little pricy but really easy. I then plugged yellow RCA out in the new wiring harness to the Radio RCA plug in. Now I can also view what's on the monitor on the radio by pressing the camera button.

I choose to route the cable to the new monitor thru the steering column opening and up to the monitor. This way I can easily reinstall the SB and remove the monitor if we trade in this RV and move the great monitor to the next RV.

I am also showing in the last photo a trash container and floor mat that I found that's working great for us (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1) & (https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...27-brown/91522).
Good job with the install. I saved my stock box so i can hook it up if needed again

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:21 AM   #2326

State: Florida
THOR #9908
Cable TV

New 2017 Hurricane and none if the TV's will pick up the cable channels. Any suggestions?
Old 11-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #2327

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Good job with the install. I saved my stock box so i can hook it up if needed again

Jerry
I saved mine too, just in case!
Old 11-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #2328

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerfolk View Post
Hi all,

Old 11-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #2329

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbland7424 View Post
New 2017 Hurricane and none if the TV's will pick up the cable channels. Any suggestions?
A couple things can cause this.

Did you push the booster button????

Did you do a search on the tv it find the channels???

And the last is that most Seiki tvs don't have the digital box needed to pick up the signal.

To fix the last you need to do one of the following.
Buy new tvs. Thats what most do. the stock tvs are junk.
Buy an external digital converter box and hook it up into your system.

Good luck

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-06-2017, 01:51 AM   #2330

State: Alabama
THOR #9784
Dinette storage mod

After benefiting so much from all the other mods posted here, I am contributing my first mod. Hopefully I'm not duplicating one already posted. Under the forward facing dinette, there is some room for storage but the water pump took up a lot of room and I was afraid anything else stored there might slide and damage the pump.

I built a box around the pump (using 1x6 shelf type board) and put a plywood cover on top to gain storage above the pump measuring about 20 x 20 x 8.5 inches. I don't think the pump will generate too much heat and my box is open in the back anyway. Hopefully the pics will help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1345.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	7656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1346.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	7657  

Old 11-06-2017, 01:58 AM   #2331

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDogMan View Post
After benefiting so much from all the other mods posted here, I am contributing my first mod. Hopefully I'm not duplicating one already posted. Under the forward facing dinette, there is some room for storage but the water pump took up a lot of room and I was afraid anything else stored there might slide and damage the pump.

I built a box around the pump (using 1x6 shelf type board) and put a plywood cover on top to gain storage above the pump measuring about 20 x 20 x 8.5 inches. I don't think the pump will generate too much heat and my box is open in the back anyway. Hopefully the pics will help.
Excellent. I put in a board to keep things from hitting the pump but i like your idea better

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-06-2017, 02:49 AM   #2332

THOR #5196
Quote:

I agree with Jerry, excellent job and much better than what I did! I just put a divider between the two sides using a 1 x 12. The pump doesn’t generate much heat since it’s not running long. Again, great job!!!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:11 AM   #2333

State: Alabama
THOR #9784
Quote:
Excellent. I put in a board to keep things from hitting the pump but i like your idea better

Jerry
Thanks, I may attach a thin divider strip to the floor to keep the box from sliding towards the center. The box and cover are not attached so that all of it can be easily removed for better access to the pump.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:47 AM   #2334

THOR #3156
Quote:
Thanks, I may attach a thin divider strip to the floor to keep the box from sliding towards the center. The box and cover are not attached so that all of it can be easily removed for better access to the pump.
A couple of small L brackets will keep it in place and not take anymore room

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #2335

THOR #5196
Quote:
Here is a picture of the 1x12 divider I added to keep stored items away from the pump.

Name:	000A3313-34F6-4BBC-BE7B-62C472F18686.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	7658
Old 11-07-2017, 01:06 AM   #2336

THOR #2757
Quote:

Sweet mod! Way to go!!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #2337

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
OK, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 5-Star Tuning, but not really sure if it will have that much benefit. I have the 2016 ACE 30.1 with the 6 speed (F-53) and my Tow/Haul works like it should, so will this really help much? I have read a lot that it helps the 5 speed, but not sure on the 6 speed. Anyone here have a 6 speed and have used this?
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #2338

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
OK, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 5-Star Tuning, but not really sure if it will have that much benefit. I have the 2016 ACE 30.1 with the 6 speed (F-53) and my Tow/Haul works like it should, so will this really help much? I have read a lot that it helps the 5 speed, but not sure on the 6 speed. Anyone here have a 6 speed and have used this?
Think it just helps with a little more power. I think mine has plenty of power the cost isnt worth it to me. Dave SuperD has it. Im sure he will give his opinion

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-09-2017, 04:40 AM   #2339

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
I have the 5 Star and love it! Better acceleration and performance, or what you can get from a motorhome! 5 Star is located in Florence, SC, call and talk to them, super nice people and I’m sure they can explain better than I can.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #2340

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #3788
I also have the 5 star tune I was one of the unfortunate one with a non working tow/haul mode but since i already had the tuner for my 2013 f53 the cost was minimal but i do like it on my 2016 6 speed a little more power better shifting
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote