Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Kelderman Reviews on the F53 Chassis Please.

Has anyone upgraded to the Kelderman air suspension with lighter leaf? springs. If so, do you like them or would you do it again? I have already added Roadmaster sway bars and steering stabilizer and they did improve handling but now I am looking for a more comfortable and quieter ride.

Thank you

brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:39 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
I have looked into their system.. It is not really an air suspension in the front but a softer leaf spring and the air bag helps to keep it OK.

It seems that most Class A motorhomes on the F53 chassis are way to light in the front, and that means that the standard springs that are laid out for either 7000 or 6000 lb, depending on the chassis rating.
Klederman installs springs with a lower rating plus those air bags as helper springs.
I found out that every F series pickup has the same attachment points for any spring in the F series. That means, one could theoretically install springs from the F150 onto our F53 chassis. The springs are rated in even intervals (I can't remember whether it was 400 or 600 lb). That means, my motorhome has the 6000 lb springs isntalled, and the next lower rating would be 5400 lb, etc. I bet that is the kind of spring Kelderman is using.

I also found that my motorhome should have about 400 lb more weight in the front to activate the installed springs properly.
I plan to install about 300 lb weight into the front (steel plates) to see if my theory is right. If this works well, I plan to install the springs of the F450. Those in combination to the already installed Sumo Maxim springs should give me a ride that is similar to the one Kelderman achieves. (but for way less money)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

THOR #2544
Thank you, I understand that Kelderman isn't a true air bag suspension but I do like the lighter leaf springs. Mine are rated at 7,000 but the weight without passengers is just 5,900. I have already spent a bundle on upgraded sway bars and steering a stabilizer and they have helped some, but my coach is still miserable to drive on California's concrete slabs. I just don't want to invest the money on the Kelderman system and end up with only marginal results. Here is a short video that looks like the air bag may absorb much of the harshness caused by concrete slabs.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:55 AM   #4

THOR #5756
This weekend I might putting about 350lb of steel onto the front bumper of my unit. This should bring me pretty close to the spring rating. I will test this out this winter on my trip south, and hope it will give me a nice and soft ride. The Sumo Maxim springs that I have installed should act similar to the Kelderman air bags.
If the extra weight gives me the ride I want, I will replace the weight and my current springs the coming spring with springs from the F450 truck (I have the feeling that Kelderman also used those springs).
Old 11-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #5

THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
This weekend I might putting about 350lb of steel onto the front bumper of my unit. This should bring me pretty close to the spring rating. I will test this out this winter on my trip south, and hope it will give me a nice and soft ride. The Sumo Maxim springs that I have installed should act similar to the Kelderman air bags.
If the extra weight gives me the ride I want, I will replace the weight and my current springs the coming spring with springs from the F450 truck (I have the feeling that Kelderman also used those springs).
Let us know how things go with the added weight and if you change the springs.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:34 AM   #6

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Let us know how things go with the added weight and if you change the springs.
Will do!
Old 11-29-2016, 03:06 AM   #7

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Updates?

Any update on the ride with more weight Hudson???
Old 11-30-2016, 04:43 AM   #8

THOR #5756
No, I have the weights in, but am getting ready for surgery by the end of the week. Might not be able to get onto the road again until mid Feb 2017.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #9

THOR #2544
Quote:
No, I have the weights in, but am getting ready for surgery by the end of the week. Might not be able to get onto the road again until mid Feb 2017.
Good luck with your surgery!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Hopefully nothing major... Had both shoulders replaced a year ago.. so far so good
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #11

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Hopefully nothing major... Had both shoulders replaced a year ago.. so far so good
Not really, just carpal tunnel surgery in both hands (one at a time of course)