Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta (Sprinter)
State: Florida
THOR #21707
Question Advice for Additional 12v Panel Installation

Hi all, I am new to this forum, RV'ing, and electrical work--though I am hoping to learn more about all of these things! Please let me know if I have inadvertently overlooked any forum guidelines or conventions.

I am planning to add an additional 12v switch panel to my 2014 Siesta Sprinter's house battery bank to control a few relatively low powered components. I don't believe there are any empty fuse spots on the factory-installed fuse box and have read that it my be more advisable to put new components on their own circuits rather than tap into existing ones.

I was thinking it would be best to connect to the house batteries after the battery disconnect solenoid so that the Use/Store switch will disconnect this secondary switch panel as well. I am planning to use inline fuses for the components attached to this secondary switch panel in place of an additional fuse box.

I am seeking advice on the best/safest way to bring 12v power into this secondary switch panel. I have found (what I believe is called) a manual circuit breaker between the solenoid and the original fuse box. Can I just wire the secondary switch panel to that intersection as well? And if so, what gauge wire should I use to do so? The switch box came pre-wired, but uses relatively thin gauge wire for the positive and neutral leads going into the system.

I am planning to run only relatively low-draw components from this switch box, such as 2 outdoor LED light strips (each controller says a maximum of 10 amps), 2 usb chargers, and maybe a few other small accessories that I will dream up in the future.

Is it worth trying to connect to power after the disconnect solenoid or should I just wire directly to the battery and leave one of the switches as a disconnect for the panel?

Thanks for bearing with such a long post and I look forward to your advice!

Old 01-03-2021, 08:35 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I hate fuses, particularly inline fuses unless absolutely necessary like at battery terminals.

So why use inline fuses when it would be much easier and also probably as cost effective to use a breaker/switch panel. Here is a 4 gang switch/breaker panel with push button breakers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBB8M0...ing=UTF8&psc=1. They also have 6 and 8 gang panels.

For $50 more you can get a better one with integral switch breakers like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Paneltronics-...706032&sr=8-16

Back to your original question, yes you can tie into the DC after the solenoid. It is probably 8 gauge so just match what is already there and you will be fine.

David
Old 01-03-2021, 08:50 PM   #3

Model: Siesta (Sprinter)
State: Florida
THOR #21707
David, thanks so much for your reply. Please forgive my naivete, in the type of products you listed are the circuit breakers themselves already integrated with the board? And if so, can they be adjusted to smaller or larger breakers as needed?

For reference, the switch panel that I originally purchased can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0829ZDYB5/

Would it be inadvisable to connect the positive wire lead from the switch panel to an 8 gauge wire coming from the solenoid via a twist on connector?
Old 01-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #8849
I agree with using Marine components. I have installed inside a panel with 2 USB and 2 12 volt power outlets. I plan on putting the same (only Marine grade) in my outside TV bay. Axis 24.1
Have fun with the learning curve, this forum is incredible for information.
Rick