Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2024, 06:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #32940
Ladder install on back of rv

We bought a 2019 majestic refurbished 30 class c rv from cruise america and not having any luck from them on info. I want to install a ladder on the back and want to bolt it to the frame rails on the back and not just in the wall. If any one knows where frame rails are per measurement, inches or even the spec sheet showing where there at would be great. Thanks for your time.

Old 06-22-2024, 11:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayer2005 View Post
We bought a 2019 majestic refurbished 30 class c rv from cruise america and not having any luck from them on info. I want to install a ladder on the back and want to bolt it to the frame rails on the back and not just in the wall. If any one knows where frame rails are per measurement, inches or even the spec sheet showing where there at would be great. Thanks for your time.
Contact Thor and ask them for the structural diagrams.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:07 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I took a lot of flack from this forum when I installed a spare tire on the back ladder on my 2021 Thor Axis. Four years later and 10,000 miles it has held up well. But here are a few things to checkout first:

Look at the mounts and make sure all of the screws are tight and not stripped. Then if you are at least 200 lbs and if not solicit a heavier friend. Climb up on the ladder and bounce up and down while checking for any joint looseness.

My tire and shell is 16” and weighs about 60 lbs together. You or your friend bouncing up and down, puts 3-4 times more stress on the joints than the tire.

David
Old 06-23-2024, 02:31 AM   #4

THOR #32940
I sent a request ot Thor for some type of diagram on back of rv as to where studs are at, now will see if they answer.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:05 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayer2005 View Post
I think you are looking for the location of the wall studs. The chassis frame rails are under the house floor.
The wall studs are 1" square tubing with balsa wood fillers between them. The walls studs are welded to a header and footer to make the wall structure. My coach has a rear fiberglass cap which is separate from the rear wall. A sonic stud finder should work well on a fiberglass and aluminum wall.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 05:58 PM   #6

Model: AXIS 24.1
State: California
THOR #31640
Just to change the subject slightly. I have a Thor Axis and the rear ladder says it has a maximum load of 250lbs. I weigh 252lbs and I'm afraid to use my ladder. Do you think these ladders have a safety percentage built into them to allow a heavier person to climb them. I've been on my RV roof a few times but I've used one of those 12ft extendable ladders with a 375lb rating. I'd like to use my RV ladder, what do you guys think about the Thor 250lb RV ladders. Anyone used one that weighs more than the ladder is rated for?
Old 06-28-2024, 07:00 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalGuy! View Post
Just to change the subject slightly. I have a Thor Axis and the rear ladder says it has a maximum load of 250lbs. I weigh 252lbs and I'm afraid to use my ladder. Do you think these ladders have a safety percentage built into them to allow a heavier person to climb them. I've been on my RV roof a few times but I've used one of those 12ft extendable ladders with a 375lb rating. I'd like to use my RV ladder, what do you guys think about the Thor 250lb RV ladders. Anyone used one that weighs more than the ladder is rated for?
Most class As have a rear fiberglass cap. The Vegas, Axis and ACE do not, but use the rear wall of the coach as outer wall. Ladders attached to the fiberglass cap fail at about 180 lbs. Ladders attached to the rear wall will stand more stress IF they are attached to a wall stud. Your results may vary.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 07:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Every rating has a safety percentage built into them.

2 lbs over would probably take over a 100 round trips to cause any wear/failure.
50 lbs over maybe 40
100 lbs over maybe 20
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B BU TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 07:13 PM   #9
It's 'towed', not toad.

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
I'm going to ask;
Why?
When do you ever anticipate being on the roof away from home-base any number of times enough to warrant expense and worry and Installation?

I grab mine to haul me up on the rear bumper and as a leverage point to stretch out and wipe off the rear window we never use(spousal unit says so) and to run my thumb across the camera at least once every 10,000 miles. It's nothing I can't do with my windshield squeegee but I do it when stopped for fuel to have something to do other than wonder and potentially stare in wonder about the car across from me and how that belly gets behind that wheel.

Zo...
Whatz Dat plan for a ladder?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 08:14 PM   #10
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
If the ladder is mounted to the roof and then down the back, then it will support you. Some ladders only mount to the back. I had one like that on my fifth wheel. All the ladder supports bent downward when I used it to climb up. Only get and install the one that fastens to the top of the roof. If you have storage space, an extension ladder is better.
Old 06-28-2024, 08:20 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I took a lot of flack from this forum when I installed a spare tire on the back ladder on my 2021 Thor Axis. Four years later and 10,000 miles it has held up well. But here are a few things to checkout first:

Look at the mounts and make sure all of the screws are tight and not stripped. Then if you are at least 200 lbs and if not solicit a heavier friend. Climb up on the ladder and bounce up and down while checking for any joint looseness.

My tire and shell is 16” and weighs about 60 lbs together. You or your friend bouncing up and down, puts 3-4 times more stress on the joints than the tire.

David
Great points. I used brackets and carried dog fences on the ladder. After 2 years, I noticed some screws loose. I stripped a couple trying to get off. I had an appt with my 30 year tech for another item an he fixed all screws free of charge.

I now have a metal rack attached to the hitch for all heavy items. Almost lost the fences on the road.
The screws are small and maybe 1/2 inch or less
Old 06-28-2024, 08:21 PM   #12

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalGuy! View Post
My ladder and roof has a rating of 250lbs. Ive been both below 250lbs and above 250lbs and used it in both scenarios. Currently about 265 and while I have gotten up there to inspect/clean/fix something, I only do it when necessary and I try to walk pretty lightly...

As Ace said, your probably fine but results may vary.
Old 06-28-2024, 08:22 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Every rating has a safety percentage built into them.

2 lbs over would probably take over a 100 round trips to cause any wear/failure.
50 lbs over maybe 40
100 lbs over maybe 20
I like the math
Old 06-28-2024, 08:45 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I would not advise using the ladders even if close to the limit, especially if you design install the ladder yourself. Loose ladders was an issue 2 of my PDIs. It appears to be common problem that is abused by people non owner climbing up and down just to see what is up there.

What made the ladder issue so bad was not that I may not feel safe using the ladder, but the repairs looked as if I paid some $10 at a bowling alley parking lot to fix it. It had more holes on the rear wall than shooting a rabbit a shotgun.

I may use my ladder 2 or 3 times per year. It the exception, I park next to a two story deck at home. The only time I have gone up on the roof while on the road was in Colorado. I wanted to check to see how much snow was up there.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 06:15 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Personally, I’d recommend purchasing a Little Giant 14ft folding ladder. I paid $99 at Lowe’s. It is light weight and only about 3.5 feet long when folded. It makes a 6+ ft step ladder which is very useful for cleaning the windshield, fixing an awning or other campsite tasks. It also makes a 14ft straight ladder which will get you on your roof at a safe angle, instead of straight up. Lastly, a permanent rear ladder makes it easy for bad guys to break into your coach. (They break the shower skylight or vent and can get in without any easily visible damage).
Old 07-03-2024, 06:20 PM   #16
It's 'towed', not toad.

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
My toyhauler had a removable ladder that clipped into sockets on the roof.

I'm still wondering for a reason to want a perma-mount ladder over a little giant or such.

Why, when travelling would you readily and without delay need on your roof due to any normal situation, enough to warrant the cost and trouble of installation.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 08:18 PM   #17

THOR #31518
If it came from the factory with a ladder it's fine to walk on if not your risking the possibility of damaging your roof.