Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Better Coach Speakers

My coach has a pair of speakers built into the overhead cabinets in the coach. They function okay, but as speakers go are really not great. The OEM Chevy speakers in the doors of the cab are noticeably better, which is just sad, but I don't care as much about those as road/wind/engine noise while driving makes good sound impossible. Good sound in the coach while sitting at the destination would be nice though. Does anyone have experience/suggestions for better sounding drop-in replacements?

"Better sounding" is relative. What that means to me: Flat, accurate frequency response across their range, preferably from 40-20K (emphasis on accuracy). I listen to a wide variety of music including classical, musicals, jazz, blues, rock/pop. Not particularly loud, and not into heavy bass (which so many seem to be these days). Best small speakers I ever had (long gone now) was a pair of Boston Acoustics A60s (sealed enclosure bookshelf speakers). No, I'm not expecting replacements for these coach speakers to sound super great, just trying to give an idea of what "good" means to me, and do think that better sound than what's there now should be possible.

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2021, 01:00 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Does anyone else miss Radio Shack? The big W Mrt stores used to have a display of car/boat radios and a variety of speakers. Not sure if they still do.

Even better call Crutchfield. They will help you sort it out.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:00 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22687
Crutchfield was helpful when I was searching for new speakers.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:06 AM   #4

THOR #20900
Thanks. I know about Crutchfield of course, but was wondering if anyone had personal experience. Doesn't sound like it.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:38 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
You might want to try a broader forum like Irv2.com You might find the suggestions you want there. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2021, 12:48 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Thanks. I know about Crutchfield of course, but was wondering if anyone had personal experience. Doesn't sound like it.
I replaced the speakers above of my loveseat. They were std 5.25" dia. but the big problem was finding good ones that were less than 1.75" in mounting depth. I ended up with Pioneer TS-G1344R. They are so much better than the stock, but no way near the Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theater.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #7

THOR #20900
That's a pretty shallow mounting depth. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #8

THOR #20900
Bought 5.25" Polk speakers for the house, and 6.5" Polk speakers for the cab doors. That shallow depth is pretty limiting for the house speakers, but these should be better.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #9

THOR #20900
Did the install of the house speakers this weekend. The cab door speakers will arrive this week. Very easy replacement for the house speakers.

The stock Axxera house speakers are not coaxial speakers. They have a little aluminum "tweeter" glued to the center of the (only) driver. No wonder they lacked good definition on the highs! According to a sticker on the magnet, they're only rated for 50 watts RMS. Probably okay for the stock sound system, but they'd be stressed at moderately high volume.

The new speakers sound quite a lot better even though they're not broken in yet. I also stuffed fiberglass batting up into the very shallow box they mount in to try to baffle that box some. The low and lower-mids are still muddy (and they don't go that low, being only 5.25", but I'm fine with that) but it's definitely an improvement.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #10

State: Minnesota
THOR #19857
Past Experience

While I have not yet installed them in my 25.6 Axis, I have a set of JBL 5.25 speakers on the way to be installed this weekend. They are the correct depth (per Crutchfield's tech) to replace the Elkhart's Best (r) speakers that are in there now.

I have used JBL's speakers for several projects and have always been very impressed in what you get for the price. My last project was replacing the speakers in my Jeep Wrangler. They sounded accurate and crisp with and without the top on the Jeep. (I too like a full range sound)

There are versions with and without grills, so make sure you are getting the version of each speaker that you want with or without the grill.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #11

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Texas
THOR #20234
Halfway through my trip I got tired of the factory door speakers in my F-450 class C so I ordered a new set up through Crutchfield and put it in at a campsite one day. The sub went under the pax seat. It was a night and day difference. The sub handles the lower range which lets the small door speakers concentrate on mids and highs. I still need to replace my house speakers with the JBL's, but that is a project for another day as I'm happy for now.

$285 total

JBL 8621F

Concert Series 6"x8" 2-way car speakers

Sound Ordnance B-8PTD

125-watt compact powered subwoofer

EFX PA10BX Wiring Kit

10-gauge amplifier wiring kit — includes 2-channel patch cable
Old 05-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #12

THOR #20900
I've got my new door speakers (also Polk), but haven't had a chance to install them yet. Now it probably won't be until after Memorial Day. I'm really loving the new house speakers when I'm out working on something in it!