Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2023, 08:43 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
How to replace dash lights with LEDs 2005 E450

Here goes:
LEDs T5 or 37 size 11 required Appox $17 for 20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S7D16CH...roduct_details

Optional LEDs 194 2 required (for A/C Heater controls) Approx $10 for 10
Both usually sold 10 to package so lots of spares

194 Leds
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you have all the LEDs and possibly radio removal tools I would allow 2-3 hours total start to viola! (more if you're old like me)

My rig has a Pioneer DEH-2400UB radio/cd that I removed prior to digging in but appears unnecessary so check yours before you start as it required special (non-Ford) tools to remove. $7 from Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401179823385

Head light knob removal:
Pull out fully and rotate to show the notch on the knob
with a small screwdriver press the retaining ring towards you to release and the knob wil slide off the shaft
Next unscrew the plastic ring around the shaft then turn off the headlights.

This video will show how to remove the instrument cluster:

Here is picture of what the assy looks like from the rear and you can replace all the LEDs without disconnecting the top cables.

Important Note:
You'll see one missing lamp (left center) probably unused in this model year (I removed a tan one the middle in this photo)
6 tan and 5 grey lampholders. They are not interchangeable so best to replace one at a time and mark or take a photo. I used a sharpie with an X. Both lamp holders use the same size LEDs

Some of the these are very tight and require pliers to remove. 1/8 turn CCW to remove 1/8 CW to replace.

Leaving the cables attached allows you to insert the new LED, turn on and test then rotate 180 if it's reversed. You could also note the tiny + on the LED and once verified the correct positioning save some time as all should be oriented the same.

I can't stress enough that the tan sockets are very delicate and can self-destruct during removal so use caution. Three of mine had the contacts in the sockets come out with the old lamps. Don't despair! You can carefully re-insert them back into the sockets and they will work just fine with the new LEDs. Make sure the LEDs are inserted all the way down in the holders. You'll get the hang of it after the first. Should you break one do not replace with Dorman as they don't fit! Trust me. You'll need to order from Ford (5F9Z-138765-BA) about $11ea. You can't buy just a socket as it comes with a new bulb to toss in the garbage.

The grey ones are easier as they make contact only on the side facing you. These are the turn signals High Beam indicator and two others I can't recall.

If you choose you can also replace the lights in the AC/Heater controls very easily at this point (3-7mm hexheads.) They use 194 LEDs and there are two. One again check polarity before reassembly.

I ordered the WLJH 74 LEDs from Amazon for $17 for 20 with new useless sockets included (they don't fit). You might find a better deal on Ebay if you don't mind the wait.

Total cost for me around $35. Total time 6hrs. Frazzled nerves and sore fingers too many to count.

So in conclusion if you don't want the hassles and are flush with cash the company that shows the video shown to remove the panel will rebuild your unit and for an extra $20 will upgrade with leds for you at just under $200. Your choice.

Here's another video for reference but a different model with same tan holders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	40505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aftah.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	40506  

Name:	71s8+1M4RoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	40507  

Old 01-07-2023, 08:47 PM   #22

THOR #25443
Sorry forgot this photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221229_125245.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	40508  
Old 01-08-2023, 05:15 AM   #23

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Appreciate all that! I'm going to watch the videos and do a little studying... Thanks again!!
Old 01-08-2023, 05:26 AM   #24

THOR #25443
Sure. Hope it makes sense.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:44 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
So you went with the green... curious why you didn't use white? Just personal preference?
Old 01-08-2023, 06:11 PM   #26

THOR #25443
No. This is the native Ford color scheme using white LEDs.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:11 PM   #27

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Georgia
THOR #18370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Following... the instrument cluster on our 2020 E-350 is so dark in daylight it's nearly unusable. I actually reference my speed from the Garmin. I always drive with headlights on, and still the dash instruments are dark and unreadable.

Coincidence that the 2021 and newer E-Series uses an instrument cluster very similar to the F-Series pickup trucks. My 2017 F-150 dash is VERY visible in any light... exactly opposite of our motorhome.

I've considered mounting a small LED strip oriented to shine on the speedo. Interesting to see how the O.P.'s project works out.
YEP I did this and it seems to work just fine! I could NOT see anything on my dash, night or day, and couldn't figure out anything else to do so, mounted a light over the panel! Super Now!
Old 01-12-2023, 04:53 PM   #28

THOR #25443
So you went with the LED light strip? If so that was my plan B if the LEDs didn't do the job.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:05 AM   #29

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
My 1996 Tiffin Allegro on a Chevy P30 chassis had the same problem during the day, night was ok but nothing to write home about. Fast forward to my 2018 new to me Sept. 2022 Thor ACE, nothing has changed, still can't see the instruments during the day unless it was cloudy overcast or having the sun over my left shoulder shinning on the dashboard. So, I took the plunge. I ordered the T5 LED replacements from the Amazonian Goliath and replaced the incandescent bulbs. What a deference the change made Instruments look as bright as in my 2020 Jeep. For most Class A motorhomes this is a very quick and easy upgrade with almost no disassembly required. All I had to do was open the dashboard panel above the instrument cluster and then you can reach the back of the instrument panel. Here are some things I learned.

1. Do this with the parking lights on so you can verify you got the correct polarity.
2. Do not try to do this in full daylight. Since you have to verify the light comes on and reverse if you got the polarity wrong. Having full sun makes it difficult to see if the light comes on.
3. The supplied sockets do not appear to fit; you will have to reuse the original sockets.
4. replace the bulbs on at a time and mark the sockets with a sharpie so you can be sure you do not miss any.
5. Use caution removing the sockets from the panel and when pulling the old bulb out. The contacts in the sockets sometimes will come out with the bulb and in one case the bulb came out of the socket while I was pulling the socket out. Fortunately, the socket fell through to the floor and I was able to reach the bulb and contact pin resting on top the steering gear assembly under the dashboard. See picture of the socket and contact pin below. I recommend working over soothing like a mousepad to keep the parts from bouncing away. See picture below.

Hopefully the upgrade will help however, in light of the problem seeing the new lights during the day to verifying proper installation I am pessimistic about the prospect of full success. In case it does not work I will install an LED light strip under the instrument panel overhang.

Attached image 1 shows the back of the Instrument panel.
Attached image 2 shows a Socket and the contact pin.
Attached image 3 shows the difference in brightness between the Left turn indicator with the LED and the right turn indicator with the incandesant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Led Upgrade 1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	41489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Led UPgrade 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	41490  

Name:	Led upgrade 3.jpg