Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2023, 09:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
LED Dash Lights Upgrade

I took it upon myself to tackle this dim dash panel problem on my '04 Ford E450 by replacing the incandescent lamps with LEDs. Thanks to Youtube videos the job was laid out very well and I managed to remove the instrument panel fairly easily. One thing (among many) that has me stumped was an empty lamp socket top dead center (see photo). Just wondering if the builder missed one or just not used on this year. Anyone run across this? Also I noticed some of the lamps use different sockets shown as grey and some tan in color. The lamps appear to be identical so a puzzle to me but Ford does wacky stuff like this all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221229_125245.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	40490  

Old 01-04-2023, 10:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
My F53 dash is hard to read in daylight. Turning on the OEM dash lights makes it readable. Really need an "always on" dash lighting solution, or a better dash. Hopefully the "better dash" came with the Godzilla upgrade.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:09 AM   #3

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Could be the empty sockets are for "idiot lights" that your Rv doesn’t require
Old 01-05-2023, 12:20 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
I took it upon myself to tackle this dim dash panel problem on my '04 Ford E450 by replacing the incandescent lamps with LEDs. Thanks to Youtube videos the job was laid out very well and I managed to remove the instrument panel fairly easily. One thing (among many) that has me stumped was an empty lamp socket top dead center (see photo). Just wondering if the builder missed one or just not used on this year. Anyone run across this? Also I noticed some of the lamps use different sockets shown as grey and some tan in color. The lamps appear to be identical so a puzzle to me but Ford does wacky stuff like this all the time.
Not wacky. That dash is used in other vehicle configurations with features and option you don’t have so the socket is not used.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:27 AM   #5

THOR #25443
There was only one empty space as I removed the one to the right per the photo. I had my dashlights on and still can't see the gages clearly in bright sunlight thus the LED fix I hope. The more I searched the more folks I found complaining about dim lights on the E series Fords especially the early 2000 - 2009 models I think. Hoping someone might know the purpose of that one in the center. There does not appear to any marking on the front I can see.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:55 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
There was only one empty space as I removed the one to the right per the photo. I had my dashlights on and still can't see the gages clearly in bright sunlight thus the LED fix I hope. The more I searched the more folks I found complaining about dim lights on the E series Fords especially the early 2000 - 2009 models I think. Hoping someone might know the purpose of that one in the center. There does not appear to any marking on the front I can see.
Have you checked the owners manual?
Old 01-05-2023, 01:38 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Following... the instrument cluster on our 2020 E-350 is so dark in daylight it's nearly unusable. I actually reference my speed from the Garmin. I always drive with headlights on, and still the dash instruments are dark and unreadable.

Coincidence that the 2021 and newer E-Series uses an instrument cluster very similar to the F-Series pickup trucks. My 2017 F-150 dash is VERY visible in any light... exactly opposite of our motorhome.

I've considered mounting a small LED strip oriented to shine on the speedo. Interesting to see how the O.P.'s project works out.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:50 AM   #8

THOR #25443
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Have you checked the owners manual?

The owners manual shows nothing so as suggested it's likely an unused option for another model.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:07 AM   #9

THOR #25443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Following... the instrument cluster on our 2020 E-350 is so dark in daylight it's nearly unusable. I actually reference my speed from the Garmin. I always drive with headlights on, and still the dash instruments are dark and unreadable.

Coincidence that the 2021 and newer E-Series uses an instrument cluster very similar to the F-Series pickup trucks. My 2017 F-150 dash is VERY visible in any light... exactly opposite of our motorhome.

I've considered mounting a small LED strip oriented to shine on the speedo. Interesting to see how the O.P.'s project works out.
in

Glad to know it's not just my aging eyesight. I have a theory that may be just hokum but I've noticed in certain times during the day I see the dash gages clearly and other time almost like a dark closet. In our cars we don't have a huge cabover and lots of light from windows surrounding us thus more even lighting. Like I said probably just poor observation.
I found similar complaints from others with the E series Fords and one came up with a great solution. It's on my PC so I'll post it later but he fastened an LED light strip just above the gages and really makes the cluster pop. LEDs come tomorrow so we'll see. If it's still not bright enough the light strip is next.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:51 PM   #10

THOR #25443
Here is one way to shed some light in the Ford darkness with an LED stick-on light strip. I think he said he powered them with a cig lighter plug but could be wired behind the dash as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	053.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	40495  
Old 01-05-2023, 08:33 PM   #11

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274

Name:	DASHBOARD.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	40496
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
My F53 dash is hard to read in daylight. Turning on the OEM dash lights makes it readable. Really need an "always on" dash lighting solution, or a better dash. Hopefully the "better dash" came with the Godzilla upgrade.
My dash lights with the new f53 chassis are easy to see all the time. Here is a photo of a dash like mine
Old 01-05-2023, 09:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Attachment 40496
My dash lights with the new f53 chassis are easy to see all the time. Here is a photo of a dash like mine
Yep, that's much improved.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:20 AM   #13

THOR #16721
Quote:
Attachment 40496
Ford updated all their RV chassis with the new clusters. They are lit differently from the old legacy displays. The new ones seem to be almost luminescent... and lit from within. The legacy displays (like mine) just use reflective lightning.

My class C has an over-cab bunk, and the overhang blocks a lot of ambient light which makes the display even darker. Maybe the issue wasn't as pronounced in the E-Series commercial vans, so Ford didn't bother improving it.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:54 AM   #14

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Ford updated all their RV chassis with the new clusters. They are lit differently from the old legacy displays. The new ones seem to be almost luminescent... and lit from within. The legacy displays (like mine) just use reflective lightning.

My class C has an over-cab bunk, and the overhang blocks a lot of ambient light which makes the display even darker. Maybe the issue wasn't as pronounced in the E-Series commercial vans, so Ford didn't bother improving it.
I had a 2019 Jayco class C, I don't remember the dash being hard to see in the sun
Old 01-06-2023, 02:11 AM   #15

THOR #16721
Quote:
I had a 2019 Jayco class C, I don't remember the dash being hard to see in the sun
"Hard to see" is subjective . Some folks may be able to see it just fine... others depending on visual acuity, etc... not so well. Then there's the amount of light getting into the cab... which in overcast conditions is probably less.

Although appearing somewhat dim to me, I can see our display better when illuminated at night. BUT... I make every effort to avoid driving the MH after dark. And unlike the updated display on 2021 and newer, it's backlighting and contrast are poor. My brother-in-law has a 2021 Four Winds and THAT display is the difference between night and day... looks like my F-150 display... PERFECTLY visible in any lighting condition.

I've never had any issues seeing the instruments in any vehicle I've owned. So the motorhome is a first.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:47 PM   #16

THOR #20274
I wonder what takes them so long to change things. I guess if you own the market why fix anything, Let the owner fix everything. Look at the Ford pickups always improving but when it comes to motorhomes why fix what's broken, the owner can spend thousands
Old 01-07-2023, 02:52 AM   #17

THOR #25443
I have yet to reassemble everything but here's what LEDs look like
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230106_150846.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	40503  
Old 01-07-2023, 03:03 AM   #18

THOR #16721
Quote:
I have yet to reassemble everything but here's what LEDs look like
VERY impressive!!

Would you mind providing links to the instructional videos you used? Also where did you source the LEDs and necessary parts? Final cost?
Old 01-07-2023, 04:01 AM   #19

THOR #25443
Thanks. l will put something together this weekend and maybe save ya some of the pitfalls I experienced.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:45 PM   #20

THOR #16721
Thanks!

Tags
dim dash lights