Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2004 Windsport 36Z
State: South Carolina
THOR #6285
LED dome fixtures

Greetings.

We noticed that the previous owner of our 2004 Windsport had installed an overhead LED fixture above the recliner - great white light output. Sooo, we figured: why not replace all of the overheads - and voilą!

These are Gold Stars Natural Whites - very easy to put up, and they sure do look good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED addition.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	3825  

Old 01-31-2017, 01:24 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Looks very nice, good choice!
Old 02-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #3

Model: FE22 (traded)
State: North Carolina
THOR #4681
All I did was replace the bulbs in all of my fixtures...cost $16 for 20 LED replacement bulbs with higher light output and a heckuva lot less heat. The previous bulbs would generate so much heat they were discoloring the covers and you couldn't touch them if they were left on for any length of time. I'm very pleased with them even if they were "cheap".
Old 02-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2016 View Post
All I did was replace the bulbs in all of my fixtures...cost $16 for 20 LED replacement bulbs with higher light output and a heckuva lot less heat. The previous bulbs would generate so much heat they were discoloring the covers and you couldn't touch them if they were left on for any length of time. I'm very pleased with them even if they were "cheap".
That's cheap where did you get them for that price, I replaced some 1147s in my RV but have more to do.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2004 Windsport 36Z
State: South Carolina
THOR #6285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2016 View Post
...The previous bulbs would generate so much heat they were discoloring the covers...
Yep - and that's why I decided to replace the entire fixtures (@ $9 apiece, they didn't break the bank too badly). Didn't want the old yellow look: these new lens covers are crystal clear, and have a small central area that magnifies the light output, Plus, the fixtures themselves look sleeker, more streamlined than the old ones.

Let there be light !!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Mine hadn't had the time to discolor yet - so went the bulb replacement route. These are the ones I used for the pancake lights - rated for 12-24V - which is important as the RV system will normally be running over 12V. I choose Warm White.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDFM5QU/
Currently pack of 10 for $18.88

A little stiff to insert (probably good - won't come loose) - need to support the connector when inserting and not the circuit board...
I have replaced 3 bulbs in 15+ months of use - so they aren't perfect... But with 13 double pancake and 2 single pancake lights in the coach interior - replacing all cost me $70 with 10+ bulbs to spare.
(I didn't replace the basement lights - as they are rarely on...)

MUCH cooler - especially the one pancake mounted vertically that definately didn't cool properly.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #7

THOR #4681
KNMIB: I got them on ebay, I'm getting ready to go on duty...I'll try to get the link when I get a chance to spend more time on here.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #8

THOR #4681
20 x Super Bright 4 8W T10 921 6000K White Car RV Wedge 24SMD LED Light Bulb 12V | eBay

This is the address where I got the bulbs. I use the 921 bulbs on my coach, and they were very hard to insert...very small and it was very cold out when I replaced them, but they work great. If they don't last but a few years I've still saved my domes from yellowing!