Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Texas
THOR #1229
Thor Chateau 28Z after 18 months - upgrades

This is kind of a continuation of my post with the same title I placed in Maintenance and Repairs. While adding a few things I forgot I noticed some of that post better fit under this area.

Additional Improvements I forgot for the other post

Added two additional air conditioner vents to the bedroom - initially there were only two vents in the bedroom, both near the door. After removing the overhead vent I cold see that there was ducting extending all the way back. I bought two vents, drilled a couple of 4 1/8 holes and screwed them in. They look just like the originals and significantly help with cooling.

Added a door handle and two cross bars on the screen door - The door handle I ordered off the internet and installed it high on the inside of the screen door so I could push against it when opening the door. See FW28z's website for a picture as we used the same handle. I also installed two bars across the lower part of the screen door to keep the dog from crashing through the screen. I fabricated the bars from a piece of aluminum bar I purchased from Home Depot. I painted it white to match before I pop-riveted it in place.

from the other post ...

Additions/Improvements
Keep-alive charger for truck battery - should have done this a lot sooner.
DPM meter on house voltage – I bought this on eBay for less than $5 mounted this in aplastic box on the AV power cable above the couch.
LED lights throughout – big heat and power saver. I am not happy with the quality of these lights though and will try others soon.
Fan in bedroom vent – tied to light power since I had extra amps because of the LEDs.
12v accessory connection in bedroom (one of the cigarette lighter connections) - I bought this on eBAy and mounted it above the bed.
Airplane style reading lamps in bedroom – put these up against the window as the existing light shines in your eyes.
Space heaters – suggested by the dealer’s check out guy when we picked up the RV = “use their electricity, not your LP gas” One caveat: watch current draw.
Swivel TV mount – really helps with viewing angle.