Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #8987
Leveling system

Has anyone installed a big foot leveling syston a 2018 thor Vegas 24.1? Thanks in advance

Old 01-06-2019, 03:27 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipreville View Post
Has anyone installed a big foot leveling syston a 2018 thor Vegas 24.1? Thanks in advance
Using the search button above the first forum discussion choices, there have been a couple discussions on this topic just recently.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:47 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yes, Several threads on this subject already. Do some searching.

I installed BF on my 2017 Axis last fall (and I love it so far). It will be the same for the 2018 models.

I would highly suggest either having BF install it themselves (They do it quickly and resonable - located in Sturgis MI) or install yourself but have the brackets welded on.

I bolted mine on and it took forever to drill the holes.... I know .... Drilling holes... no big deal right? NOPE. And I have a garage full of tools and have done 100's of hard jobs on cars, jeeps, trucks, homes etc.

The frame on the rear is very thick (double thick - its were the frame extention is welded on for the RV conversion) and I guess its very hard metal.

I used up like 20 drill bits on 8 holes - slowly graduating up in size (and breaking/ wearing them out like crazy - even with cuting oil).

The Best bits were the "step bits" from Harbor Freight. Get like 4 sets to start with and use your impact driver/drill. This is what I had the most success with in the end (I should have used them from the start).

Good luck and let us know if you have any question.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Installed no - had installed yes. Have the Quad auto system for two years love it.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
I had installed the HWH straight leg system with joystick controller on my ‘17-Vegas 24.1

Several on this Forum have installed the HWH “kick-down” levelers on their Vegas/Axis. Camping World gave me an installed estimate of $5500 for the kick-down levelers with the auto keypad controller.

Generally considered the Cadillac of leveling systems, HWH costs a bit more than Big Foot or Lippert systems
Old 01-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Yep, Do your research and figure out which system is best for YOU. I think each system has its advantages and dis-advantages.

I wanted something that I could install myself and not spend big money. Im very happy with my system.

It removes the one thing I dreaded most - leveling. Some campsites are very uneven and I have used 40 blocks and 45 minutes to get it "Close enough".

Now its not a problem but the RV dont shake around when you walk.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I installed the Bigfoot leveling system on 24FE. It wasn’t real hard to do. It makes it much more stable while parked.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #8987
leveling system

Thanks to all for the advise, will need to find someone local ( Wilmington NC) if possible to install.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Know what you are doing...drilling through frames can be disastrous and will void your warranty from Ford.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Big Foot On Sale!

Wow, check this one out...

BigFoot Platinum for E350/450

$1988 for parts
$250 install at their plant in Michigan

Bigfoot Platinum System For Ford E-450 Chassis

It's like that first analog cell phone I purchased for $1500 + $1/minute in 1989
If you wait long enough, the price eventually goes down
Old 01-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Yeah thats one reason I went with the BIG FOOT System. Cant beat the price.

Griz is correct. If you have frame related problems Im sure Ford wont cover it.

But than could be said with ALL of the mods we do with our RV's. Sway bars, stering stabilizers, extra lights inside and out, inverter, converters, solar. The list goes on.

If they find your mod's is the root of the cause than you out of luck.

Do your yearly inspection (or more) of the frame and all of your systems/mods on, in and under your RV's.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
As Gritz says be very wary of either drilling or welding to the frame. It will void the factory warrantee, and may seriously weaken the frame. I had an automatic HWH system installed on my 24TX, but HWH makes a kit for that vehicle which is all bolt on. I had an HWH system on my former DP and missed it. Love having it again on the 24TX.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #13

THOR #12231
Looking back at my install.... The weld on option would be better than bolt on if you have a choice.

I didnt have anyone in my area that I trusted and I sure as heck was NOT going to let Camping World install it. Plus everyone locally was way to high on the install fees. I dont mind tackling big jobs on my own so it was a no brainer for me to install myself.

I am very happy with my bolt on BF kit and this frame is very large and thick in the back - so plenty of strength (IMO).

This needs to be on your annual inspection - Checking for stress cracks on frame, around any holes you drilled or bad welds if you had it welded on.

You could always weld on reimforcement plates if you think you need them.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #14

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Looking back at my install.... The weld on option would be better than bolt on if you have a choice.

I didnt have anyone in my area that I trusted and I sure as heck was NOT going to let Camping World install it. Plus everyone locally was way to high on the install fees. I dont mind tackling big jobs on my own so it was a no brainer for me to install myself.

I am very happy with my bolt on BF kit and this frame is very large and thick in the back - so plenty of strength (IMO).

This needs to be on your annual inspection - Checking for stress cracks on frame, around any holes you drilled or bad welds if you had it welded on.

You could always weld on reimforcement plates if you think you need them.
You can always tack weld the nut to the bolt but you would have to cut it to get it off. You have to check the reservoirs and li
nes annual anyway.. and you can check the bolts at the same time.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:15 AM   #15

THOR #12231
Im not worried about the holes in the frame. But I will check them a couple times a year along with the rest of the underside of the RV.

Only one "Central Pump" reservoir on my BF "Plantium" system. I checked it a couple of times already. But yeah Its on my quarterly check list (for now) then semi annual.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #16

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Our Quantum goes to Big Foot on the 28th to get the Platinum system installed.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #17

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I recently had the Big Foot Platnium installed on my 2017 Axis. I’ve not traveled anywhere since the install but the system is very user friendly.
My only concern was the clearance but the installation was within the BF guideline and the entry step is lower than any of the “feet” so I guess it shouldn’t be an issue.
I’m leaving for a 3 month stay in sunny Florida soon a d look forward to not using those pia “lego” leveling blocks.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #18

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
Our Quantum goes to Big Foot on the 28th to get the Platinum system installed.
Thats awesome. You will love it. Great price too!
Old 01-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #19

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
I recently had the Big Foot Platnium installed on my 2017 Axis. I’ve not traveled anywhere since the install but the system is very user friendly.
My only concern was the clearance but the installation was within the BF guideline and the entry step is lower than any of the “feet” so I guess it shouldn’t be an issue.
I’m leaving for a 3 month stay in sunny Florida soon a d look forward to not using those pia “lego” leveling blocks.
Yep, its a definate improvement over leveling block.

Make sure you save your blocks. I had to used them under the front jacks some (I stacked 2 - 5 blocks high) to get level and I use one in the back give them a bigger foot print.

But thats no big deal now.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 25.1
THOR #7113
Big Foot Levelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipreville View Post
I installed them myself on my 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 last year and I'm very satisfied. I use the front levelers to raise the front all the way up with the rear all the way down to load/unload my trike motorcycle into the "toy hauler garage" that I converted the rear compartment in to. I installed levels for side to side and front to rear inside near the switch panel so I know when the RV is leveled.The leveling at camp sites is relatively quick and simple. It is hard drilling the installation bolt holes, but well worth it. Camping world ran a "special" on labor and wanted $100 to do the install.