Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2020, 12:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
Lighter tables...

This is pretty simple stuff compared with some of the deep knowledge and ingenuity featured in these forums... but just in case this idea might help someone...

We have a Thor Axis 24.1 and we found that we rarely used the big table and sometimes were even reluctant to get out the smaller table. We are on the elderly end of life and leaning over the back of the sofa and lifting up those heavy composite material table tops was a real chore. The big one in particular was not only very heavy - it was also hard to maneuver around to the sofa when it was in place.

We don't have access to anything beyond a few hand tools in our retirement home, so...

Simple solution - a donated piece of 3/8" birch plywood and a couple of bamboo cutting boards. Now they are easy to lift out of their storage spaces and we can use them in any combination. We won't be hosting any meals for four or anything - but we never did before, either!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new tables Thor Axis.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	23262  

Old 04-12-2020, 12:41 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on a GREAT job!
Old 04-12-2020, 03:22 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
That's a very nice job.
We don't use ours much but I'll be copying your idea if we start using it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:48 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4816
MorningGlory,
Great idea. We too found the tables too heavy to lift from behind the sofa plus I'm too old and short to reach them easily. The large table that goes in front of the sofa is stored in my garage. The smaller rectangular table that goes between driver and passenger seats rides on the bed and then is set up as soon as we park. I also have two light weight TV trays that stay behind the sofa (actually, I've replaced sofa with recliners) and are easy to set up if we have guests.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:24 AM   #5

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
2016 Siesta Sprinter 24TT - The OEM table was heavy and could be stored nowhere. I replaced with an edge glued panel from Harbor Freight, and at 5 inches shorter than original it fits in the hanging closet. I off-set the post so the table is even in front of the recliners.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Table.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	23302  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:20 AM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
2016 Siesta Sprinter 24TT - The OEM table was heavy and could be stored nowhere. I replaced with an edge glued panel from Harbor Freight, and at 5 inches shorter than original it fits in the hanging closet. I off-set the post so the table is even in front of the recliners.
You do great work
And, I learned that Harbor Freight sells “edge glued panels”
Thank you!
Old 04-16-2020, 12:08 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I did something similar with a tool cabinet top from Home Depoe. It was about $20, and we like the size for a meal for 2 in place of the long table. Also works good in place of the oval table between the front seats.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #8

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
You do great work
And, I learned that Harbor Freight sells “edge glued panels”
Thank you!
Good Catch--- I misspelled Home Depot-
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post

Simple solution - a donated piece of 3/8" birch plywood and a couple of bamboo cutting boards. Now they are easy to lift out of their storage spaces and we can use them in any combination. We won't be hosting any meals for four or anything - but we never did before, either!
We agree...we replaced those tables with folding wood tables which we lay on a bed when enroute to a destination. They are lightweight and serve our purpose well...and we can easily take them outdoors to use near our folding lawn chairs.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #10
EgV

Model: 22CFreedom Elite. 24&#821
State: Illinois
THOR #4805
I removed the whole contraption, table, pole and holder, to give me more room in my little MH. It was easy and opened up the space. I use light weight TV trays as a substitute. I store the table behind the driver seat if I need to make it a bed.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
For those of us who are not into woodworking, I used TV trays also because it made it easier to build. I removed the folding legs from two tables I had that were not being used, and repurposed the tops.

Since I was installing new pedestal legs and bases, I placed them much closer together than normal. The goal was to move pedestals away from center of table so they didn’t interfere as much with sitting. This required tables to cantilever but since they are small and we are easy on equipment, they’ve held up well for over a decade now.

I also installed the table base off-center so I can install one or both tables either close to me, or further away, depending on what I’m using them for. The difference in reach is 4 inches now. Initially the difference was a bit more, but I no longer use them for typing on a laptop, so I moved them a little.

The two tables are mirror image of each other so they can be rotated 180 degrees as needed. When using a single table, we often spin it 90 degrees so table ends up more over the couch, which leaves the aisle more open while making it easier to get up. In limited space of a narrow van that’s important.

Anyway, not pretty but very functional and 100% trouble free over the years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D9880C40-0F1E-4076-86F5-64759660AD2C.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	23446   Click image for larger version

Name:	85906F58-E159-4050-8639-750886015E63.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	23447  

Old 04-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #12

State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
thanks, all!

It was fun to come back and check out this thread from a year ago... lots of goo additional comments. Thanks for commenting! Amazing how we lived with the aggravation for so long and all we would have needed is a little mental nudge from all you experienced folks!

We recently used our adjusted tables and enjoyed them... soooo much easier to lift out these light replacements. We also carry a folding TV tray that provides more versatile placement in the rig and outdoors.