Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
WiFi

Has anyone installed a cable modem in their RV for a working hotspot? DH is working from our RV a lot these days and our cell phone hotspot data limits just aren't working for us. Just got a unit from Spectrum and trying to figure out where to plug it into the cable in the RV. Any ideas? 2017 Challenger 37lx

Old 07-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm a bit confused.
What will be the feed TO the cable modem?
The internet had to come from somewhere.
A modem alone does not make a Hotspot.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #3

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Do you have Spectrum Internet? If you do and your RV is parked close to the house where your main internet is why not plug in a router in the house and pick up the signal in the RV? The router is capable of sending the signal quite a distance.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Typically a cable modem needs a short clean run to your cable connection of the house.

Are you semi-permanently parked at an RV park? You would just hook the cable modem to the same cables the TV is hooked to--but I doubt the cabling in the RV is good enough quality for it to work properly (RG-59 Quad Shield at least, and high quality splitters).

You also have to consider the RV parks wiring, is it good enough to support a cable modem?

As an aside: I wonder when SpaceX's Starlink Internet access comes on line will that be a better option for RV'ing than all the other kludges with Cellphones and WiFi boosters.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #5

THOR #13932
If the op is working from the rv, but it's parked at home...and hasn't considered a wifi router...I hope to Guess they are on the road....

SpaceX uses a ubiquity sized receiver antenna/dish.
It could work like any other TV dish, by aiming and that sort of stuff, UNLESS the satellites are geosynchronous and your account is assigned to a specific satellite(I think they are due to the mention of bandwidth usage affecting speeds.)

Old 07-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
We got it figured out. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm definitely not the tech-y one in the family. We're at an RV Resort near the beach where we spend weekends during the summer. Since DH is working "from home", home has also been at the RV. The park internet is Spectrum but he needs a secure connection so we've been using our phones. The modem and router we got is for use in this park only, so that we have a secure connection for his job. We found dead space behind the TV in the bedroom big enough for both modem and router, and also has cable and power.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #7

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
We got it figured out. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm definitely not the tech-y one in the family. We're at an RV Resort near the beach where we spend weekends during the summer. Since DH is working "from home", home has also been at the RV. The park internet is Spectrum but he needs a secure connection so we've been using our phones. The modem and router we got is for use in this park only, so that we have a secure connection for his job. We found dead space behind the TV in the bedroom big enough for both modem and router, and also has cable and power.
A much better post and greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the follow up.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If the op is working from the rv, but it's parked at home...and hasn't considered a wifi router...I hope to Guess they are on the road....

SpaceX uses a ubiquity sized receiver antenna/dish.
It could work like any other TV dish, by aiming and that sort of stuff, UNLESS the satellites are geosynchronous and your account is assigned to a specific satellite(I think they are due to the mention of bandwidth usage affecting speeds.)
Not geosynchronous, works more like Sirius with a ton more satellites in LEO (like thousands of satellites).

A little smaller than the ~3ft ubiquiti one:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/15/2...n-beta-testing
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #9

THOR #13932
I wasn't sure about the geosynchronous. I based my guess on the concern they have about speed/user count. I checked potential pricing and speeds. 20meg is about all the beta will be and the cost is $100ish and a bit for the dish. It's the same as I have now so I'll wait for 2.0
I'm semi following it as a source for later.

My ubiquity(it might not he ubiquity. The tech might have said that as a generic sate based on what I asked... So he didn't have to go into detail) is about the diameter and depth of a 14 inch round cake pan. But I've heard of the bigger better dishes available.
We're shot a signal from about 2 miles away. My 20meg speed sure beats the 33k Verizon used to drift in and out of the area.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #10

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Lo earth orbit might work, we'll see
Old 07-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #11

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Has anyone installed a cable modem in their RV for a working hotspot? DH is working from our RV a lot these days and our cell phone hotspot data limits just aren't working for us. Just got a unit from Spectrum and trying to figure out where to plug it into the cable in the RV. Any ideas? 2017 Challenger 37lx
You can't use wifi? I have a Wineguard and use it to bridge to our home wifi.

Cable modem is static, I mean your service is in one place, once you move you can't connect.

I've been considering getting an old Android device hooked to UltraMobile which has an unlimited plan for $45 and they don't restrict tethering (yet)