Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2022, 04:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27B
State: Tennessee
THOR #14933
Lithium battery upgrade, Firefly updating too?

I'm getting closer to upgrading to lithium batteries and because of this what else needs to be changed. So far I got the bim and my converter/charger does not support Lithium. I have not seen anything recent about the Firefly multi-plex system. Does anyone know if there's any iFirefly ssues with a battery upgrade.

Old 11-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Will it work? Sure - I'm sure it can handle up to 15 volts input (or more) without issue. Will it read the battery state of charge correctly? Maybe. If it uses a shunt ammeter it should. If it relies on static voltage - then no; not without recalibration.,
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:33 PM   #3

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
the only thing we NEEDED to change was the BIM. got a Li-BIM and all is well.
about my batteries - two, they are renogy 100amp, they are "smart" batteries, in that they will self protect, that is if it gets too cold, will not charge. the batteries cable together and have a monitor that i placed in the kitchen. that monitor displays the charge or discharge rate in amps, current capacity in percentage, and total capacity in amps. the monitor is very important to us.
i have seen that renogy now is selling a battery that will warm itself. i called them to discuss how that is accomplished, as i do not want my batteries to drain themselves for the sake of staying warm. we are frequently in below 32 degree temps from sept through march. renogy states that the batteries sense when they are being charged and use some of that charge to heat itself. they will not use energy for heating if they are not being charged, thus will not self drain. i am not trying to sell the battery, just inform readers as to how they work. I didnt know, so i asked and found out. now you know too!
also, be aware that there are discussions on this forum that state some of the original installation BIM's were not wired correctly from the factory, so you may want to check your BIM wiring, especially when changing it out.
Finally, if you do go with renogy, be aware that the cable connections at the battery have open ports that NEED to be protected from the weather/elements.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:00 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Lithium battery upgrade, Firefly updating too?

I did not need to do anything with the FireFly system.

However, besides changing my BIM160 to the LI-BIM 225 I did replace my Converter / Charger. Since then I upgraded my Inverter to athe Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000 Inverter / Charger and rewired the coach so I can run any circuit off the Inverter.

I will say the Inverter/ Charger does a much better job charging the LiFePO4’s since the charger is fully configurable and provides more power as compared to the Progressive Dynamics LI Converter / Charger that I originally installed.

I installed five 170Ah batteries from BigBattery (they have a 15% off sale right now) and they are fantastic. They offer the best $ / Ah value of any high quality LiFePO4 battery on the market. They also have a built-in LED voltage display, On/Off switch and quick disconnect battery cable.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:24 AM   #5

Model: Aria 3901
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #31456
What did you end up doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgscooter View Post
I'm getting closer to upgrading to lithium batteries and because of this what else needs to be changed. So far I got the bim and my converter/charger does not support Lithium. I have not seen anything recent about the Firefly multi-plex system. Does anyone know if there's any iFirefly ssues with a battery upgrade.
What did you end up doing?