Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2021, 09:58 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Will these charge off your alternator. Just courteous. Good job
They will...... I installed the LI-BIM 225 to replace the stock BIM 160. The F-550 also has two alternators.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:58 PM   #82

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
Judge, any chance you remember the dimensions of that space? LxW? From pics I'm guessing 24x20?
Old 08-18-2021, 12:25 AM   #83

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
Judge, any chance you remember the dimensions of that space? LxW? From pics I'm guessing 24x20?
That is pretty close to the dimensions based on the battery sizes. If you wanted to lose the one drawer, I think you could get 6 under one dinette seat.

Then if you wanted to be able to power the space station, you could put another 6 under the other seat.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #84

THOR #12751
Just an update on my BigBattery LiFePO4 upgrade after my first chance to give it a real work-out. We are on our 7-week trip (I'm posting a blog about it in another thread) and we boondocked the other night.

The Inverter powered the residential fridge, small outdoor kitchen fridge and two fans (one an AC fan and the other a DC roof vent fan) and charged a couple cell phones overnight. Then in the morning we made two pots of coffee and a pot of iced tea for a day of driving..... and the BigBattery LiFePO4's just shrugged their shoulders and had plenty of power to spare. We were running on the Inverter overnight for about 13 hours and I still had ~50% capacity remaining after all of that.

The LI-BIM 225 seems to be working fine along with my 320W of Solar. Yesterday the DW had dinner cooking in the crock pot while we were driving so more than enough power for the Inverter running it and the two fridges.

So far.... I'm very happy with the BigBattery units. I can tell you that after a night of boondocking, the four 6V flooded batteries would be starting to choke after the first pot of coffee in the morning. No way they would have handled two pots of coffee and a pitcher of ice tea after the typical overnight.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:16 PM   #85

THOR #20809
thats great to hear, glad its working out well for you Judge. Please keep us posted.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:03 AM   #86

Model: Quantum 24CR
THOR #24306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post
Great post! It seems you know what you're talking about. Wish you weren't in Arizona, or I'd drop the rig off with you and throw money at it until you tell me it's done. LOL
X2!!!!
Old 10-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #87

THOR #12751
I just saw that BigBattery is running a promotion that looks pretty sweet.....

Their 170Ah battery is now $80 less than I paid plus free shipping. I have been very happy with my BigBattery LiFePO4 batteries so far. We boondocked a couple different nights on a recent trip and no issues running the two fridges and an AC powered fan followed by a couple pots of coffee and a pot of ice tea the next morning.... plus charging phones.

I currently have three 170Ah batteries. I'm considering adding 2 or 3 more after seeing this promotion and getting close to or just over 1000Ah. If I went that route, I would think about replacing my Xantrex Freedom X 2000 with the Freedom XC PRO 3000 and adding SoftStart to one of my A/C units to run an A/C briefly if needed to cool down the coach at night.

https://bigbattery.com/promotion/
Old 10-16-2021, 12:14 AM   #88

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I just saw that BigBattery is running a promotion that looks pretty sweet.....

Their 170Ah battery is now $80 less than I paid plus free shipping. I have been very happy with my BigBattery LiFePO4 batteries so far. We boondocked a couple different nights on a recent trip and no issues running the two fridges and an AC powered fan followed by a couple pots of coffee and a pot of ice tea the next morning.... plus charging phones.

I currently have three 170Ah batteries. I'm considering adding 2 or 3 more after seeing this promotion and getting close to or just over 1000Ah. If I went that route, I would think about replacing my Xantrex Freedom X 2000 with the Freedom XC PRO 3000 and adding SoftStart to one of my A/C units to run an A/C briefly if needed to cool down the coach at night.

https://bigbattery.com/promotion/
Is your setup wired in series and, if so, how did you wire the pigtails with ring terminal ends?
Old 10-16-2021, 12:31 AM   #89

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Is your setup wired in series and, if so, how did you wire the pigtails with ring terminal ends?
I'm wired in parallel since the coach is 12V. I have the negative ring terminals going to a Victron Smart Shunt and the postive ring terminals going to a 4-post Bus Bar.

BigBattery also offer cables that are wired in series or parallel for multiple battery installations as well.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #90

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
I'm wired in parallel since the coach is 12V. I have the negative ring terminals going to a Victron Smart Shunt and the postive ring terminals going to a 4-post Bus Bar.

BigBattery also offer cables that are wired in series or parallel for multiple battery installations as well.
Right - brain fart. You mentioned 6v along the way but your liths are 12. Is your bus bar secured in wood? Mine's still the 'old way'. They all fit under the steps but I need to find a place to secure the bus bar where it won't come in contact with metal (ground).
Old 10-16-2021, 03:34 PM   #91

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Right - brain fart. You mentioned 6v along the way but your liths are 12. Is your bus bar secured in wood? Mine's still the 'old way'. They all fit under the steps but I need to find a place to secure the bus bar where it won't come in contact with metal (ground).

No worries……

Since I decided to move the batteries under the Dinette seat, I mounted the Bus Bar for the postive terminals to the floor so its on wood.

That being said….. when I cleaned up Thor’s wiring in the battery compartment, I did put a Bus Bar there and mounted it to the frame since thete was no other option. It was a high quality Bus Bar so I wasn’t too worried about a possible grounding/ short issue.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #92

THOR #12751
Call me crazy but I think I have decided to add two more 170Ah Big Battery LiFePO4's to my configuration. The deal they have right now for two 170Ah batteries plus cables, a bus bar and free shipping for $1658 out the door is getting pretty hard to pass up. I paid about $3000 for my three 170Ah's w/ cables and shipping and I thought that was a good price.

My setup is only two months old with only a few charge cycles so if I am going to do it, now is the time since battery performance should still be close to new. I could easily add 2 or even 3 under the second Dinette seat. I use that for some storage now but I could move the stuff there elsewhere.

That would give me 850Ah and enough to run one A/C unit for a bit or just about anything else in the coach. I would also upgrade my Inverter to the Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000 if I decide I want to do some rewiring to run an A/C, the microwave, etc.

That might also mean I add another solar panel...... that's the problem with these "little" projects.... they can become more expensive as you start to really think about them.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:52 PM   #93

THOR #20809
thats awesome! let us know when you get the ac online. Thats my goal for beach camping next summer.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #94

Model: Citation 24SS
State: California
THOR #25610
Quote:
Call me crazy but I think I have decided to add two more 170Ah Big Battery LiFePO4's to my configuration. The deal they have right now for two 170Ah batteries plus cables, a bus bar and free shipping for $1658 out the door is getting pretty hard to pass up. I paid about $3000 for my three 170Ah's w/ cables and shipping and I thought that was a good price.

My setup is only two months old with only a few charge cycles so if I am going to do it, now is the time since battery performance should still be close to new. I could easily add 2 or even 3 under the second Dinette seat. I use that for some storage now but I could move the stuff there elsewhere.

That would give me 850Ah and enough to run one A/C unit for a bit or just about anything else in the coach. I would also upgrade my Inverter to the Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000 if I decide I want to do some rewiring to run an A/C, the microwave, etc.

That might also mean I add another solar panel...... that's the problem with these "little" projects.... they can become more expensive as you start to really think about them.
I just completed a Lithium upgrade on my 2018 Thor Citation, and went with the following

- 2x LiFePO4 -170Ah BigBattery
- Progressive Dynamics 12v 55 Amp 4600 Series Replacement Converter Lithium Profile
- BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor

My question is, do I need to add a BIM-225 Lithium? I believe my Citation currently has an Isolator Solenoid, which doesn't allow for the house to charge the chassis. Or is it best to leave it "as-is"?
Old 03-02-2023, 04:36 PM   #95

THOR #22224
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznytfury View Post
The conversion to LiFePO4 is complete!! Couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Here is what we did:
  • 600 ah of Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries
  • Li-BIM 225 Battery Isolation Manager
  • Victron Energy BMW-712 battery monitor and 500 amp shunt
  • Firefly Integrations custom software package to interface the Magnum Energy MS2812 I/C and set custom charging profile
  • Battery cutoff switch in the house battery compartment (oddly, there wasn't one included in the Thor Aria from the factory)
  • Victron Energy Temperature monitor probe (we live in AZ...it's a concern)

Battle Born 600 ah LifePO4 batteries:
Attachment 31173

Li-225 BIM (Battery Isolation Manager):
Attachment 31174

Upgraded Firefly Integrations software to control the MS2812 I/C charge profile:
Attachment 31175

Victron Energy BMV-712 Bluetooth battery monitor (shows actual State of Charge (SOC) for LiFePO4 batteries):
Attachment 31176

Victron Energy Bluetooth App:
Attachment 31177

Victron Energy Solar Charge Controller MPPT 100 | 30 that supports custom charge profiles for LiFePO4 batteries:
Attachment 31178
Thanks for all your info on this, looks great too.
I have a similar coach 2019 Thor Venetian, it has a MS2000 inverter which Magnum confirms will work with lithium, I will switch the BIM out to a BIM Li225 and add 600Ah of lithium. My only unsolved issue is with Firefly, no option on my mine for Lithium and no response from them to a couple of contact attempts. How long did it take you for them to reach out?
How is your system working for you now after some time?
I don’t see where you mentioned how much solar you have or if it keeps up with your discharging habits, I’m wondering if I even need any solar for our traveling lifestyle.
I will say Lead acid batteries just do not do it for us
Old 03-04-2023, 06:27 PM   #96

Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #14127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billydeal View Post
Thanks for all your info on this, looks great too.
I have a similar coach 2019 Thor Venetian, it has a MS2000 inverter which Magnum confirms will work with lithium, I will switch the BIM out to a BIM Li225 and add 600Ah of lithium. My only unsolved issue is with Firefly, no option on my mine for Lithium and no response from them to a couple of contact attempts. How long did it take you for them to reach out?
How is your system working for you now after some time?
I don’t see where you mentioned how much solar you have or if it keeps up with your discharging habits, I’m wondering if I even need any solar for our traveling lifestyle.
I will say Lead acid batteries just do not do it for us
When I worked with Firefly, it did take awhile initially to get them to respond and do the work to add the configurable LiPO4FE charging profile. But they got it done and it went well overall...that was back in 2020. Recently, I think they are having serious problems in their business. I have an unrelated ongoing issue that they have basically become unresponsive on. Over 50 emails sent to them and virtually no response over the course of the last 18 months. Tried multiple contacts too. Not sure what happened to them. Anyways, you can charge your LiFEPO4 batteries using one of the AGM profiles...it is technically a similar enough charging cycle/profile that it will work.

My system is working great and I feel it was well worth the investment. No issues with the Battle Born batteries. I keep hearing horror stories of people using cheap knock-off LiFEPO4 batteries and ending up with dead batteries and other weird issues with power output and charging.

I only have 300 watts of solar at the moment (however I bought the panels and equipment to upgrade it to 1200 watts...next project on my list). My solar array does little to charge the LiFEPO4 pack...but it does provide enough power to keep the residential fridge going during the day and keep the chassis batteries topped off.
aznytfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:14 AM   #97

THOR #22224
Ok,
I got through to firefly and they are upgrading my software under warranty, which is fantastic.
I don’t have any solar and your 300 watts might be a tell for me. Maybe I do t even need it with 600Ah of battery storage
We are mostly stopped for a few days at a time and can mostly rune the batteries down for a few days without starting and moving
I’ve ordered a bunch of expensive stuff now and we’ll see what happens
Old 03-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #98

Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #14127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billydeal View Post
Ok,
I got through to firefly and they are upgrading my software under warranty, which is fantastic.
I don’t have any solar and your 300 watts might be a tell for me. Maybe I do t even need it with 600Ah of battery storage
We are mostly stopped for a few days at a time and can mostly rune the batteries down for a few days without starting and moving
I’ve ordered a bunch of expensive stuff now and we’ll see what happens
Congrats and good luck! If you run into any questions or issues along the way, don't hesitate to reach out. I can give you my personal contact info for a phone call, etc.
aznytfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:20 PM   #99

Model: Citation Sprinter 24sa
THOR #13813
I did my lithium upgrade in 2021 with Renogy batteries and inverter. Everything works great. BUT since then pricing and technology has improved. So do your homework
Old 03-18-2023, 07:24 PM   #100

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznytfury View Post
The conversion to LiFePO4 is complete!! Couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Here is what we did:
  • 600 ah of Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries
  • Li-BIM 225 Battery Isolation Manager
  • Victron Energy BMW-712 battery monitor and 500 amp shunt
  • Firefly Integrations custom software package to interface the Magnum Energy MS2812 I/C and set custom charging profile
  • Battery cutoff switch in the house battery compartment (oddly, there wasn't one included in the Thor Aria from the factory)
  • Victron Energy Temperature monitor probe (we live in AZ...it's a concern)

Battle Born 600 ah LifePO4 batteries:
Attachment 31173

Li-225 BIM (Battery Isolation Manager):
Attachment 31174

Upgraded Firefly Integrations software to control the MS2812 I/C charge profile:
Attachment 31175

Victron Energy BMV-712 Bluetooth battery monitor (shows actual State of Charge (SOC) for LiFePO4 batteries):
Attachment 31176

Victron Energy Bluetooth App:
Attachment 31177

Victron Energy Solar Charge Controller MPPT 100 | 30 that supports custom charge profiles for LiFePO4 batteries:
Attachment 31178
I'm finally putting together our lithium upgrade. I'm starting smallish...
2 - 100Ah batteries (with room for more - anticipated)
3,000 watt converter/charger
Li-BIM 225

Questions (so far):
Originally thinking of "future proofing", but I'm thinking a 3,000 watt inverter may be overkill? Seems like 2.000 is more common for a 30amp RV. Even with 400 - 600Ah of battery, the number of circuits likely used simultaneously in the rig (sans A/C) may never take advantage of 3,000 watts? My plan is NOT to power the A/C... I'll use the genny for that. Thoughts?

Battery fuse sizing (catastrophic fuse):
Battery spec sheet states as follows...
Maximum continuous discharge current: 100 amps
Peak discharge current: 200 amps
BMS discharge current cutoff: 330 amps

Based on these parameters, would a 350 amp ANL fuse be too high? Should I base the fuse rating on the PEAK discharge (200 amps) or use the BMS cutoff of 330 amps? I understand the point of the battery fuse is to protect the batteries in case of a catastrophic short - which could easily produce 1000+ amps - but I also don't want to fry the BMS.

I'm referencing an install of 100 Ah Battle Born batteries using a 300 amp fuse... in which case looks like a protection using peak discharge?