Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2024, 03:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas
State: New Jersey
THOR #25689
House batteries on vegas

Hello
I’m looking to upgrade my house batteries. I bought 2 100ah lithiums, upgraded my charger…
Now I want to put an inverter in that’ll handle the entire coach, I know I need more batteries, but I was looking for a location. Under the steps just seems not great for lithiums.
My thought was go behind the outdoor tv and mount batteries and inverter next to the transfer switch.
Anyone try anything like this before?
Where have you all installed 4 plus batteries in a Vegas?

Old 03-08-2024, 04:38 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
How are you going to recharge your 400 Ahs of Lithiums when the entire coach’s electrics, DC and AC will be powered by them? And how much AC do you plan to use, ie what systems, TV, microwave and hopefully not A/C do you plan to use and for how long?

David
Old 03-08-2024, 04:42 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Too many Vegas/axis models/floor plans to even begin to answer your question.
And
Budget
Ability
Timeline
Inventiveness
Statements are needed from you.

'Upgraded My charger' is going to get you answers of similar value as that statement.

My outfit, and Judges outfit(not an axis) are in the $8,000+ range if you hire the labor and inventiveness.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 02:53 PM   #4

Model: vegas
State: New Jersey
THOR #25689
Thanks, do the goal was to go from the agm batteries under the stairs to lithium. I converted the battery charger and started looking for a better place to mount them.
I currently have an inverter that powers fridge, some outlets like the TVs but no not the ac, and obviously things like coffee markers still require the generator or shore power or the batteries die.
I’ve had a solar set up for two years that’s been great for keeping batteries topped off and charging.
I just want a new battery location where I can actually access the batteries. I guess maybe the rear storage right behind the passenger side tire?
I imagine if I want to power more things or for longer I need more batteries. I was hoping to get a total
Of 4 or. 6 100ah.
I don’t want use microwave
But maybe the ac.
We’re doing another cross country trip the first one was fun but lost the generator then the dash ac so was pretty hot and uncomfortable in a heat wave.
So this time we’ll have more back ups. I’d also like to do more harvest hosts and boom docking so I need to power more with our shore power or generator.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2024, 03:29 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
It is hard to know how many DC amphours you use with your setup, so I will give you my standard advice in this situation:

Get a shunt based battery monitor, either QWORK($35), Renogy ($80) or Victron (up to $200). As the price goes up so do the bells and whistles, but the QWORK works fine for me.

With the monitor you can find out exactly how many amphours you use in a day and then plan your recharging sources accordingly.

FWIW, I use 25-30 amphours daily, except if I run the furnace for an hour or so in the morning to warm up, I use 5-10 Ah more. I do have an absorption fridge which uses very little DC. I can camp for 3-4 nights without recharging my 200 Ahs of AGMs. The DC compressor fridge uses at least 50 Ah more each day.

David

Tags
axis, battery upgrade, vegas