Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2021, 01:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Magnitude SV34 Improved Shower Pan Support

The shower pan flexes a bit in my Magnitude S34. Not a lot and not nearly as bad as my Outlaw 29H shower did.... but I decided to see if I could add some additional support to keep the pan from cracking in the future.

I made additional 2x4 supports for my Outlaw and was going to do the same thing for my Magnitude.... but then I had a better (albeit more expensive) idea.

The Magnitude's shower is slightly different that my old Outlaw. The shower pan sits on a sheet of ~1/2" styrofoam and then there is a piece of plywood under the styrofoam. Then there are some 2x4's under the plywood under the shower pan and then another piece of plywood on the floor. Thor only put the 2x4 between the two pieces of plywood primarily around the perimeter shower pan.

My better idea was to order two of these shorter entry step adjustable supports. I already have one of each size to support my entry steps when parked and I thought the short one would work great for better supporting the shower floor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took the short step support that I already had and it worked perfectly. Much easier to adjust it and get it nice and tight against the plywood instead of trying to cut 2x4's the perfect size and then wedging them in between the two pieces of plywood.

My shower is 30" x 36" so two of these adjustable supports will work perfectly under the plywood at the center area of the shower to provide better support and less flexing.

I'll attached some pictures once I get the second support and get them in place.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:18 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
That's a great idea!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:26 PM   #3

THOR #12751
The short support is perfect. Here is a picture of the one I had for my steps that I tried under the shower.

I will put a second one under there and it should provide excellent support and minimize any flex and the potential for any cracking of the shower pan. It should also prevent any drain plumbing issues that could be caused by flexiing over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	30723  
Old 06-22-2021, 09:29 PM   #4

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The short support is perfect. Here is a picture of the one I had for my steps that I tried under the shower.

I will put a second one under there and it should provide excellent support and minimize any flex and the potential for any cracking of the shower pan. It should also prevent any drain plumbing issues that could be caused by flexiing over time.
I pulled the access cover to see what I was facing and pretty much as you describe except no plywood base underneath, just the sheet vinyl flooring. But not nearly as well supported. There were 4 sections of 2x4 butted up against some pieces of 7/16th? plywood, 5" squares, but not resting on them. I only have 4 1/4" clearance so the Camco supports won't fit. I added 7 or 8 pieces of 2x4 wedged into the spaces and also more along the edge. Put some wood glue on the tops of the blocks to help anchor them. Probably won't move though. Feels much better supported but when my GF comes over I'll pull the cover and watch the underside while she walks around inside to see if any addition supporting is desired. Thanks for the suggestions.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:40 PM   #5

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Any idea on the bathroom access from a 2021 Thor ACE 33.1? Our bathroom floor do feel a bit spongy when using the shower.

Also, the front area of the flooring, next to the Entry/Exit stairwell feels a bit soft as well. I wonder if the flooring can be accesed, and If I can do what Judge did? I ordered 2 of those Camco Supports and was delivered yesterday.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:12 PM   #6

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
Any idea on the bathroom access from a 2021 Thor ACE 33.1? Our bathroom floor do feel a bit spongy when using the shower.

Also, the front area of the flooring, next to the Entry/Exit stairwell feels a bit soft as well. I wonder if the flooring can be accesed, and If I can do what Judge did? I ordered 2 of those Camco Supports and was delivered yesterday.
The showers in the Omni are in a raised pan with an access panel screwed to the front. Not familiar with the ACE but I've never seen an under floor access in any RV. That is except dropping the coroplast and coming in from underneath. In that case there wouldn't be any under support for the jack stands but you might be able to add/weld additional flooring support.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 06-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #7

THOR #12751
I had an Outlaw 29H and it had a raised shower with an access panel as well. I had a similar problem with it but it was much harder to improve the support in that coach. One of the big challenges I had was some engineer thought it was a great idea to put the low point drain valves under the shower pan and in a place you could barely reach so that limited the amount of support I could add to support the shower pan in that model.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #8

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I had an Outlaw 29H and it had a raised shower with an access panel as well. I had a similar problem with it but it was much harder to improve the support in that coach. One of the big challenges I had was some engineer thought it was a great idea to put the low point drain valves under the shower pan and in a place you could barely reach so that limited the amount of support I could add to support the shower pan in that model.
You use the term engineer rather loosely. In the RV manufacturing business, "engineer" is job description of "moron who can slap stuff together and hide it from the public". Work experience not required.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ