Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2023, 10:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Michigan
THOR #29848
Portable Satellite Set UP Options??????

Greetings to All !!!

After much searching on this forum, I learned the coaxial cable from a portable satellite dome (ex. Dish Tailgater Pro) MUST be connected directly to the satellite receiver (ex. Wally), and not through a splitter.

QUESTION - Has ANYONE figured out, HOW .... to connect the satellite coaxial cable from your satellite, to your satellite receiver .... WITHOUT .... having to put it through an open window?

I only want all 4 TV's to play the same station at a time. (I don't want multiple channels on different TV's at the same time)

Is there ANY kind of a switch that could be attached to the Splitter Box, or in the same compartment, where you could plug in your Campground coaxial cable to the Campground Coaxail connection on the outside of the Motorhome, and flip the switch to Cable, and then if you rather watch your Satellite, attach your Satellite coaxail cable to the Campground coaxial connection on the outside of the motorhome, and flip the switch to Satellite?

I have attached diagram from schematics of my 2019 Thor Hurrican 34R.

Thank's so much for your time and expertise!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sat-TV-Cable-DVD.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	42746  

Old 07-10-2023, 10:44 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaynCat06 View Post
Greetings to All !!!

After much searching on this forum, I learned the coaxial cable from a portable satellite dome (ex. Dish Tailgater Pro) MUST be connected directly to the satellite receiver (ex. Wally), and not through a splitter.

QUESTION - Has ANYONE figured out, HOW .... to connect the satellite coaxial cable from your satellite, to your satellite receiver .... WITHOUT .... having to put it through an open window?

I only want all 4 TV's to play the same station at a time. (I don't want multiple channels on different TV's at the same time)

Is there ANY kind of a switch that could be attached to the Splitter Box, or in the same compartment, where you could plug in your Campground coaxial cable to the Campground Coaxail connection on the outside of the Motorhome, and flip the switch to Cable, and then if you rather watch your Satellite, attach your Satellite coaxail cable to the Campground coaxial connection on the outside of the motorhome, and flip the switch to Satellite?

I have attached diagram from schematics of my 2019 Thor Hurrican 34R.

Thank's so much for your time and expertise!!!
If you want a splitter in the network you must use a splitter that will pass DC current to power the LNB on the antenna. I use DirecTV's green label, but you can find the equivalent at Walmart.
Note: the red terminal on the left MUST go to the antenna.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SPLIT4MRV_0.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	42749  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:09 PM   #3

THOR #29848
Thanks for your reply!!

Where did you install your green label splitter?

What does “LNB” mean?

Does your green label splitter allow you to hook up your satellite coaxial cable to the campground cable hook up on outside connection of motor home?

How …. Do you switch back and forth when you want to watch cable or satellite?

I sure appreciate your assistance!!!
Old 07-11-2023, 03:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks for your reply!!

What does “LNB” mean?

Does your green label splitter allow you to hook up your satellite coaxial cable to the campground cable hook up on outside connection of motor home?

Not to be mean, but asking that question means you may not understand the intricacies of satellite TV antenna connections/requirements.

You can't use the same COAX for satellite and park cable. Most satellite video comes to the TV via HDMI now-a-days so switching between satellite and cable is a matter of switching the TV inputs with your remote.

BTW, LNB info here: https://www.multicominc.com/lnbs-wha...how-they-work/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:54 PM   #5

THOR #29848
No Worries .... I sure can't sue you for slander Been looking for a copy of RV Situations for Dummies .... can't find one!

Tech at Camping World told me since my coach (2019 Hurricane 34R) is pre-wired for Satellite, there should be some kind of switch, which could be installed ... so if I want campground cable, use a coaxial from CG cable hookup to cable connection outside coach. Then .... if I want to watch my portable Satellite (Tailgater), then I use the 50' satellite coaxial cable from the portable dome, into the same cable connection on outside of coach, and switch back and forth to what I want to watch.

The HDMI cable from main TV was damaged, and I had to buy wireless HDMI receiver & transmitter. I'm just trying to figure out HOW ... can I run my 50' satellite coaxial cable from the portable dome into my coach to the satellite receiver (Wally) .... without .... running it out an open window.

Hope that makes as much sense to whoever reads this .... as it does to me
Old 07-11-2023, 04:31 PM   #6

THOR #6411
Answers Embedded
Quote:
Thanks for your reply!!

I replaced the original splitter which is behind the power injector for the King Jack over -the-air antenna's wall plate.

What does “LNB” mean?

Low Noise Block down converter. It converts the antenna's K band (9 to 27 GHz) sats signals to RG-6 capable signals (2 to 2,000 MHz).

Yes. I suggest you run a separate coax pigtail from the splitter's red terminal to a through plate connector to bypass the install connector in the power inserter plate.

Make sure only one source is on at a time (power inserter on; sat receiver on or power inserter off ; sat receiver on.

Old 07-11-2023, 04:44 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
No Worries .... I sure can't sue you for slander Been looking for a copy of RV Situations for Dummies .... can't find one!

Tech at Camping World told me since my coach (2019 Hurricane 34R) is pre-wired for Satellite, there should be some kind of switch, which could be installed ... so if I want campground cable, use a coaxial from CG cable hookup to cable connection outside coach. Then .... if I want to watch my portable Satellite (Tailgater), then I use the 50' satellite coaxial cable from the portable dome, into the same cable connection on outside of coach, and switch back and forth to what I want to watch.

The HDMI cable from main TV was damaged, and I had to buy wireless HDMI receiver & transmitter. I'm just trying to figure out HOW ... can I run my 50' satellite coaxial cable from the portable dome into my coach to the satellite receiver (Wally) .... without .... running it out an open window.

Hope that makes as much sense to whoever reads this .... as it does to me
"Pre-wired for satellite" means there should be a second COAX connection outside that goes directly to a cabinet inside near the entertainment center. It is marked "Satellite" I've seen this on may RVs.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:27 AM   #8

THOR #29848
Great info .... FINALLY!!!! Thank you very much!!
Old 07-13-2023, 12:29 AM   #9

THOR #29848
Thanks for your reply!

There is only 1 coaxail connection outside the Coach on the driver's side. Is it possible there is a satellite connection somewhere else?
Old 07-13-2023, 08:10 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

There is only 1 coaxail connection outside the Coach on the driver's side. Is it possible there is a satellite connection somewhere else?
Based on the drawing you provided for your coach, the answer is No.

I have a 2019 SOB and I have sources to plug in a 2nd external portable satellite. One prewired for option coming in from the roof, and the other in my electrical bay (pictured). If you look at picture in my electrical bay at upper left you can see what I believe is you want or wish you had. I rarely ever use but when I do, I run the cable under bottom of coach into compartment via same deck hole the SP comes through. I have a switch inside RV in Entertainment center to toggle between Cable or power for Antenna. I have two King antennas, on eon the roof and one portable in a bag that I pull of if reception is bad based on where I park. I don't do cable TV because I have YouTube TV and 24/7 Wireless Internet in RV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200904_155132rotate.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	42762  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 04:47 PM   #11

THOR #29848
Great Information!!! Thank you very much!!

Where and how exactly do you have the switch connected?
Old 07-13-2023, 05:34 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Great Information!!! Thank you very much!!

Where and how exactly do you have the switch connected?
In my unit the switch is in Entertainment cabinet above the entry door. It is a power switch that toggles on/off for Antenna. Off is which of the two Cable signals I may want to use.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:11 PM   #13

State: Idaho
THOR #30051
Plug your dome into the coax connector located in the rear of your MH next to your power plug.

Go to the cabinet above the right lounge chair and you should see a plate that has a push button with a black switch to turn on the OTA antenna.

Remove the screws to that plate to expose the coax cables. Unscrew the top left coax and plug it in to your wally. Then plug your transmitter into the HDMI port of your wally. I have the exact same model as yours and I did this 2 days ago.
Old 07-15-2023, 08:32 PM   #14

THOR #19348
I have a 2017 Thor Hurricane 29m so I don't know if your's is the same but I would assume so. To run your dish tailgater through your existing cable hookup you have to bypass the antenna booster switch plate mounted inside the motorhome. The antenna switch plate will have little button with a light to change between air antenna or cable. On the back of the plate you will have an antenna coax and the cable coax attached to it. If you look closely you will see labels for both attachments. You need to unattached the cable and run it directly
to the wally receiver then attach the wally receiver via HDMI to whatever controller splitter is used in the motorhome to the tv's. You can still use the air antenna the same as before, but will watch cable or satellite TV with second source input on your splitter or controller to the tv's. The satellite connection won't allow power to travel through the antenna booster to power the dish that is why you have to disconnect it from the antenna booster.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:06 PM   #15

THOR #29848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonbum View Post
Plug your dome into the coax connector located in the rear of your MH next to your power plug.

Go to the cabinet above the right lounge chair and you should see a plate that has a push button with a black switch to turn on the OTA antenna.

Remove the screws to that plate to expose the coax cables. Unscrew the top left coax and plug it in to your wally. Then plug your transmitter into the HDMI port of your wally. I have the exact same model as yours and I did this 2 days ago.

Thanks very much for your reply! I was right with you until your instruction to "plug your transmitter into the HDMI port of your wally". Is the transmitter you refer to, the HDMI "Switcher Box" with 2 inputs and 4 outputs?

I've spent days reading everyone's way to get Satellite working in their particular coach .... I was as lost and confused, as a polar bear in a blizzard!!

Thanks Again!!
Old 07-15-2023, 11:18 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks very much for your reply! I was right with you until your instruction to "plug your transmitter into the HDMI port of your wally". Is the transmitter you refer to, the HDMI "Switcher Box" with 2 inputs and 4 outputs?

I've spent days reading everyone's way to get Satellite working in their particular coach .... I was as lost and confused, as a polar bear in a blizzard!!

Thanks Again!!
He meant TV, not "transmitter". Direct HDMI from wally receiver to TV HDMI input. Of course if you have a BOMB (Box Of Many Buttons) that supports HDMI switching you can use that to distribute the tuned satellite channel to other TVs.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:18 PM   #17

THOR #29848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 29M View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Hurricane 29m so I don't know if your's is the same but I would assume so. To run your dish tailgater through your existing cable hookup you have to bypass the antenna booster switch plate mounted inside the motorhome. The antenna switch plate will have little button with a light to change between air antenna or cable. On the back of the plate you will have an antenna coax and the cable coax attached to it. If you look closely you will see labels for both attachments. You need to unattached the cable and run it directly
to the wally receiver then attach the wally receiver via HDMI to whatever controller splitter is used in the motorhome to the tv's. You can still use the air antenna the same as before, but will watch cable or satellite TV with second source input on your splitter or controller to the tv's. The satellite connection won't allow power to travel through the antenna booster to power the dish that is why you have to disconnect it from the antenna booster.

Thanks much Thor ... for your instructions!! Between you and Westonbum's instructions .... there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Once everything is connected as you instruct .... I have 4 TV's
HOW .... do I correctly get each TV to switch from OTA Channels, Cable Channels, DVD, or Satellite Channels?

Final mystery .... I had to purchase a Wireless HDMI Trans/Rec, to replace the damaged HDMI cable on the main TV. I have the HDMI wireless receiver plugged into HDMI 1 on my LG TV .... I haven't figured out ... which of the HDMI cables going into the splitter was the one used for the main TV. WHERE should I plug in the HDMI wireless Transmitter?

Again ... I sure appreciate your time and assistance!!
Old 07-15-2023, 11:27 PM   #18

THOR #29848
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
He meant TV, not "transmitter". Direct HDMI from wally receiver to TV HDMI input. Of course if you have a BOMB (Box Of Many Buttons) that supports HDMI switching you can use that to distribute the tuned satellite channel to other TVs.
Thats's GOOD to know!!! Thanks for the clarification!!! Can you please answer this question ....

I had to purchase a Wireless HDMI Trans/Rec, to replace the damaged HDMI cable on the main TV. I have the HDMI wireless receiver plugged into HDMI 1 on my LG TV .... I haven't figured out ... which of the HDMI cables going into the splitter was the one used for the main TV. WHERE should I plug in the HDMI wireless Transmitter, after I connect everything as Westonbum and Thor have advised?

Thanks Again!!!
Old 07-15-2023, 11:56 PM   #19

THOR #6411
Quote:
Thats's GOOD to know!!! Thanks for the clarification!!! Can you please answer this question ....

I had to purchase a Wireless HDMI Trans/Rec, to replace the damaged HDMI cable on the main TV. I have the HDMI wireless receiver plugged into HDMI 1 on my LG TV .... I haven't figured out ... which of the HDMI cables going into the splitter was the one used for the main TV. WHERE should I plug in the HDMI wireless Transmitter, after I connect everything as Westonbum and Thor have advised?

Thanks Again!!!
Your Sat receiver should have a HDMI port and any Hurricane should have a BOMB (mine does it is above the fridge in the electronic cubby with where the the HDMI cables end). The receiver's HDMI output should be patched to the HDMI input to the BOMB. One HDMI output of the BOMB is patched to the HDMI transmitter. Your DVD player should have an HDMI out and be also patched to a IN HDMI port on the BOMB.

If you can't find the BOMB (a HDMI switch box), the HDMI receiver output is patched to the HDMI transmitter.

By the way there is an inverter powered duplex receptacle in the electronic cabinet which can power the sat receiver and the BOMB, so you can watch sat TV with no external or generator power.
Old 07-16-2023, 11:19 PM   #20

THOR #29848
Thank you very much for that helpul info!! I appreciate it!