Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
How to locate roof aluminum roof frame tubing?

Info: I have a 2020 Thor Daybreak 22GO. It has a square aluminum tube roof frame, covered by a layer of 1/8th inch luaun [sp] and sealed by a TPO rubber roof layer. Styrofoam insulation is between the frame tubes, with ceiling paneling underneath. I have the THOR pdf supposedly on my roof construction. Some of the illustrations [vents, skylights, etc] are not consistent with my particular roof layout.

Modification Desired: I want/need to add a satellite dish [Tailgater] and a single 100W 39"x24" solar panel. I plan to put down rails, anchor them to the roof and then mount the items to the top of the rails. However, the rails are external to my question.

Question: I need to know the [best] ways of locating the aluminum frame . I absolutely want to drill into the aluminum instead of the luaun and styrofoam insullation. Will a carpenter's stud finder work, or is there a better method?

Thank you in advance,
Jim

Old 09-28-2020, 12:28 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I just did it so I’d know where to cut a 14 inch hole for a 2nd AC. My aluminum rafters are 16 inches on center so I needed to be accurate. I used an ordinary stud finder on the roof and it was spot on perfect. To translate it into the interior I measured from a known fixed reference point. In my case I used the center of a roof vent. I was accurate to about 1/8 inch. I used the same stud finder technique when I was installing my solar panel. I wanted to drill for my mounts into a rafter and I gat all six screws into rafters. Fear not.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Why not try the flexible solar panels that are stuck on? It doesn't solve you problem finding studs: but it does reduce the number of holes that need cutting.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:43 AM   #4

THOR #18675
Bob, Thank you for the suggestion. However, I already have the rigid Renegon Solar Panel. Also, that would not solve my issue for the satellite dish.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:33 AM   #5

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Why not try the flexible solar panels that are stuck on? It doesn't solve you problem finding studs: but it does reduce the number of holes that need cutting.

I thought about using flexible when I did mine Bob but I wanted the air circulation under it. And I think rigid ones last longer. There are so many holes in my roof already (never counted them but numbered in the hundreds I’d guess) it didn’t seem like 6 more would be any trouble. I have a lot of faith in Dicor!
Old 09-28-2020, 02:02 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I would also add the sealant to the screws before screwing them in just to help eliminate more possible water leaks and then dicor over the top of each screw. You can never be too sure when it comes to water leaks or potential spots for leaks.

Paul
Old 09-29-2020, 02:17 AM   #7

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I would also add the sealant to the screws before screwing them in just to help eliminate more possible water leaks and then dicor over the top of each screw. You can never be too sure when it comes to water leaks or potential spots for leaks.

Paul

When I did mine I drilled all of my mounting holes then cleaned the roof around each one. Then I squirted a tiiny bit of Dicor into the holes and applied a very generous gob on top of the holes before putting my panel in place. The screws were very well sealed AND the bottom of the brackets were sealed and with excess squeezed out so we’re the edges of the brackets. Finally I flooded the top of the screws and the brackets with still more dicor. I’m not worried about leaks!
Old 09-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #8

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Can see the joist lines early morning, particularly this time of year. Look up there. Goes to show how little insulated these rigs really are.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:08 PM   #9

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
Easy easy solution.

In the morning when the dew is present you can see the supports.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:12 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Get the roof schematic from thor. On my 29m they put a 3'x3' piece of galvanized plating in the roof specifically to be used for a satellite dish

It will also show you the metal tubing with measurements

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:50 PM   #11

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Get the roof schematic from thor. On my 29m they put a 3'x3' piece of galvanized plating in the roof specifically to be used for a satellite dish

It will also show you the metal tubing with measurements

Jerry
I got it from Thor but the dew technique is super easy.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:09 AM   #12

THOR #18675
Finding roof struts.

I got the diagram from Thor. Measurements were made from the forward side of the rear vent [known point]. Locations of struts were marked with washable marker. The next morning, I verified my measurements by the dew method.
When it came time to mount the rails I was using for the Solar panel, the markings were dead on spot.
It still made me very nervous to start drilling.
JC