Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Wind Majestic 26Q
State: Colorado
THOR #8765
Lightbulb Majestic electrical mod

Happy Thanksgiving folks! Haven't been around for quite awhile. Want to do an electrical mod to my 2000 Majestic (27') Want to convert the electrical box on the driver's rear from the box and 20' shore plug to a 30aSmart Plug. Can I put in a converter of some kind to stop plugging and unplugging that cord all the time?

Hope all are well and traveling safe!

Old 11-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjenks52 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving folks! Haven't been around for quite awhile. Want to do an electrical mod to my 2000 Majestic (27') Want to convert the electrical box on the driver's rear from the box and 20' shore plug to a 30aSmart Plug. Can I put in a converter of some kind to stop plugging and unplugging that cord all the time?

Hope all are well and traveling safe!
Isn't that what the "Smart Plug" is for?

Or do you need to plug your SP cable into a generator outlet box to use the generator? Maybe you're asking about an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) not a "converter"?

Now the "Smart Plug" is a good, high quality device it comes with a price tag to match. Why not just install a standard 30 Amp RV twist-lok receptacle?

Under $20:
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:28 AM   #3

THOR #8765
Majestic electrical mod

I have a box behind the shoreline hatch that my 20 ft cord plugs into when not used to maintain electrical circuitry. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. The constant plugging/unplugging is wearing out the plug and is a pain during inclement weather. Would like to modernize this circuit by putting a plug on the outside wall. What happens if I eliminate this box? I don't have any isolation switches either.

Old 11-29-2020, 01:29 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I have a box behind the shoreline hatch that my 20 ft cord plugs into when not used to maintain electrical circuitry. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. The constant plugging/unplugging is wearing out the plug and is a pain during inclement weather. Would like to modernize this circuit by putting a plug on the outside wall. What happens if I eliminate this box? I don't have any isolation switches either.
What's the purpose of the "box"? Why do you plug into it? If it's your generator output box look at post #2 again.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:53 AM   #5

THOR #8765
Majestic electrical mod

So I was able to get some pictures of my dilemma. This plug must be in place when not using shore power, telling me it's connected to my inverter and power console under my bed. I want to put a power connect on the outside corner to reduce the plugging/unplugging of this cord. There is some damage to the plug over the years. This is on a Majestic 26Q.

Thanks folks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_114537.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	27409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_114551.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	27410  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_114608.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	27411   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_114653.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	27412  

Old 11-30-2020, 03:05 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
So I was able to get some pictures of my dilemma. This plug must be in place when not using shore power, telling me it's connected to my inverter and power console under my bed. I want to put a power connect on the outside corner to reduce the plugging/unplugging of this cord. There is some damage to the plug over the years. This is on a Majestic 26Q.

Thanks folks!!
What tells you it's connected to an inverter?

An inverter was not a standard feature on 2000 Four Winds Class C coaches so if you have an inverter it is a custom installation.
What other wires go to that 30 Amp receptacle?

Your path of least resistance is to just replace the 30 Amp receptacle, easily available at any big box hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot.

You can't reinvent the wheel if you don't know how the wheel was constructed to begin with.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Ahh yes, the really cheap transfer switch. The recept comes from your genset so that you plug it in to power the RV. Removing it allows you to plug into shore power and isolates the gen set. The other end of your 30A cord is hardwired to the unit so cannot be easily changed without doing some wiring. If you have the room you can get a transfer switch to install for the switching from shore to genset, etc. Search Amazon for Furrion 30A 125/250V Transfer Switch but this will take an electrician for sure to wire in.
Not that expensive if you know an electrician that can do it cheap. If you go to the expense of the transfer switch, but a new 30A cord also as the plug ends on these the molded type like pictured only last 5-7 years depending on how much AC you use.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

In a standard Majestic from Cruise America, as best as I can recall, you don’t need to plug the shore power cable to that “box” unless needing to use the generator for electrical power while not on shore power. When renting from CA, I usually plug it in so I can use generator during day while traveling between campgrounds. Once there, I unplug from box and connect to campground pedestal. I don’t see this as a big deal that takes more than an extra second or two, so I’m not following the “inclement weather” reference. My first motorhome was like that also.

The only scenario that comes to mind is if plugged to shore power and there is an electrical outage and you had to run the generator. That would require going out and unplugging from CG pedestal and plugging into generator. I’ve never had that happen, so don’t see it as a huge problem worth fixing unless you have critical electrical needs (and I don’t).

You mentioned an inverter which wasn’t standard on Majestic motorhomes. Any chance inverter was installed in place of generator? Can you confirm you still have and use the generator? It would help clear things up a bit.

Assuming what you have is all original, doing what you want would be far more expensive than replacing the older parts, which should last for many years even if you plug and unplug twice as often.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:23 AM   #9

THOR #8765
Thanks for the replies. Guess my pipe dream will be cost prohibitive and unnecessary now that I've done some homework. Thanks for letting me know what the "box" was. I now have a better understanding of my circuitry. I also have determined I have a converter. Not even going to try to rewire for an inverter - I have enough electrical knowledge to avoid that can of worms. Talking to Thor was a waste of time. After resending my VIN #, I received an outdated photocopied (badly) copy of something that was a joke. It combined the Class A with the Class C, and was pretty generic. Schematics and diagrams "do not exist". Guess I'll just be happy with what I have and rely on you all to do mods that make sense. Happy trails!!

Tags
converter, electrical, shore line