Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2019, 11:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Arizona
THOR #14425
Send a message via Skype™ to JimSpy
Question In The Market for a Backup Camera

Forgive me, I'm a complete rookie at this, but...I can't stand the backup camera system in my Gemini. It's barely useable in daylight, and a total mess in twilight or dark. So, I'm in the market for something better. I'm looking at RearViewSafety.com and it probably has what I want...but I'm not sure what I want! The main thing is a real good look at the rear, but if it has bells and whistles like a record function, forward- or side-facing cameras, what the heck. Looking at the back of my rig, the camera appears to be built into the body. Does that mean a wired system? And will I have to remove that wiring in order to install the new camera? Do I want to stay with the rearview mirror monitor, or get something dash-mounted? Questions, questions, so many questions... Feel free to steer me towards a good thread on this forum. I do learn quickly!

Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
JimSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:11 AM   #2

State: Colorado
THOR #12345
I just ordered one of these, it is wireless:

<https://www.amazon.com/Emmako-Wireless-Waterproof-Distortion-Reversing/dp/B078PDH6Z8/ref=asc_df_B078PDH6Z8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312141906131&hvpos=1o2&hvne tw=g&hvrand=4898110874332675971&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hv qmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051600& hvtargid=pla-569448162379&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=60234797217&h vpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312141906131&hvpos=1o2&hvnet w=g&hvrand=4898110874332675971&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdv cmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051600&hvtargid=pla-569448162379>

Here is a link of someone installing a very similar but more expensive wireless camera:

<https://youtu.be/JUAXxJx3eQw>

The camera on my 2017 Thor Chateau 31W gave up the ghost again, and I am installing this because I realized that I don't need the left and right cameras because I have the mirrors.

It has great reviews, and you can set it up to view your rear continuously.

When I was looking into buying an RV I really wanted the side cameras, then I realized how useless they were after driving my rig around.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #3

State: Colorado
THOR #12345
I suggested one of those wireless optuons because you could easily add it without removing the factory system.

Both wireless options also give you a separate screen that will be easier to see than the one that came with your RV.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
I bought one of these.

I have an iPad mounted that I use for navigation, music, etc. and I use it for the display for my back up camera as well. All I have to compare the display with is the old monitor (it's a 2004 model) so the iPad display is obviously much better.

It's wireless, and at $110.00, the price is right. The iPad (or whatever you decide to use with it) has to connect to the camera's WiFi. First time connection time isn't bad, but it's not immediate either. So that's something to think about.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #5

THOR #14425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
I bought one of these.

I have an iPad mounted that I use for navigation, music, etc. and I use it for the display for my back up camera as well. All I have to compare the display with is the old monitor (it's a 2004 model) so the iPad display is obviously much better.

It's wireless, and at $110.00, the price is right. The iPad (or whatever you decide to use with it) has to connect to the camera's WiFi. First time connection time isn't bad, but it's not immediate either. So that's something to think about.
OK, thanks for that. What about the transmission delay, do you notice a big lagtime between real-time and the time it appears on the display?
Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
Old 07-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #6

THOR #14425
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduff View Post
I suggested one of those wireless optuons because you could easily add it without removing the factory system.

Both wireless options also give you a separate screen that will be easier to see than the one that came with your RV.
Thanks, that helps.
Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
Old 07-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpy View Post
Forgive me, I'm a complete rookie at this, but...I can't stand the backup camera system in my Gemini. It's barely useable in daylight, and a total mess in twilight or dark. So, I'm in the market for something better. I'm looking at RearViewSafety.com and it probably has what I want...but I'm not sure what I want! The main thing is a real good look at the rear, but if it has bells and whistles like a record function, forward- or side-facing cameras, what the heck. Looking at the back of my rig, the camera appears to be built into the body. Does that mean a wired system? And will I have to remove that wiring in order to install the new camera? Do I want to stay with the rearview mirror monitor, or get something dash-mounted? Questions, questions, so many questions... Feel free to steer me towards a good thread on this forum. I do learn quickly!
Please do not take this as a "smart" answer (especially since I had the same complaints as you on our 2016 VEGAS), but have you climbed up and checked to see if there was "protective film" over the lens?

We thought the camera was the worst thing and unusable, however the first time I was up waxing the rear of the coach I noticed that there was a protective plastic on the lens.. Removed that and the camera is now great!

Also, I hooked the feed up to our GARMIN GPS so now I have a larger display and I can tilt and place the display where I can see it while driving...

Okay, call me a "dumb hillbilly", but it took a couple of months of hazy, cloudy, dark views from the camera to "see the light"
Old 07-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
OK, thanks for that. What about the transmission delay, do you notice a big lagtime between real-time and the time it appears on the display?
I didn't notice any delay.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Please do not take this as a "smart" answer (especially since I had the same complaints as you on our 2016 VEGAS), but have you climbed up and checked to see if there was "protective film" over the lens?

We thought the camera was the worst thing and unusable, however the first time I was up waxing the rear of the coach I noticed that there was a protective plastic on the lens.. Removed that and the camera is now great!

Also, I hooked the feed up to our GARMIN GPS so now I have a larger display and I can tilt and place the display where I can see it while driving...

Okay, call me a "dumb hillbilly", but it took a couple of months of hazy, cloudy, dark views from the camera to "see the light"
How did you connect it to your Garmin?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #10

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
How did you connect it to your Garmin?
I just plugged an RCA cable into the "switch box" under the dash cover on the driver's side that the rear and side cameras plug into.

You get the rear camera unless you use the turn signals, then you get the side views...

And the rear camera is available all the time..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170709_191728.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	18945  
Old 07-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/Panoramic-Wat...gateway&sr=8-4
(A used one is available on amazon for $77. I paid retail)

I've Benchtested and am ready to install.
About 500 YouTube videos available showing installation.
Coupled with
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N4...b_b_asin_image
(I bought it used Amazon at $61 there's a $71 used available now.)

So for under $150 you have the whole system.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I just plugged an RCA cable into the "switch box" under the dash cover on the driver's side that the rear and side cameras plug into.

You get the rear camera unless you use the turn signals, then you get the side views...

And the rear camera is available all the time..
Yeah, I know about that end. What's on the Garmin end? All I've seen available for Garmins is the wireless backup camera.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:19 PM   #13

THOR #4687
On our RV760 there is a camera cable that has audio/video connectors just for this. Plugs into the dash mount so you can remove the GPS and connections stay on the mount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190714_184535.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	18954  
Old 07-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
On our 2016 Vegas, we just replaced the crappy, factory radio, which drove us buggy when the camera switched on to side-view whenever the blinker was used... and then we couldn't adjust the radio.... same screen.
In simply replacing the radio, our rear-view camera improved greatly! as well as the radio/cameras/GPS functionality! We went Alpine.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #15

State: California
THOR #13165
Camera probably fine. Replace viewing screen (stereo)with one that has better screen
Old 07-22-2019, 01:59 AM   #16

THOR #14425
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduff View Post
When I was looking into buying an RV I really wanted the side cameras, then I realized how useless they were after driving my rig around.
On mine, there is a very dangerous blind spot. It occurs when you pull up to an intersection where you're turning left at a 135 degree angle; in other words, you are 45 degrees from oncoming traffic from the right. The mirror doesn't quite cover that. Yes, you might be able to "see" the traffic, but if it's a major thoroughfare and people are going above say 40 mph, you won't be able to react in time. You won't see them till they're right on top of you, due to the convex mirror distortion. So I do need an outside camera on the right.
Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
Old 07-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #17

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Quote:
On mine, there is a very dangerous blind spot. It occurs when you pull up to an intersection where you're turning left at a 135 degree angle; in other words, you are 45 degrees from oncoming traffic from the right. The mirror doesn't quite cover that. Yes, you might be able to "see" the traffic, but if it's a major thoroughfare and people are going above say 40 mph, you won't be able to react in time. You won't see them till they're right on top of you, due to the convex mirror distortion. So I do need an outside camera on the right.
Jim,
I have the same difficulty. If only the window in the right side entry door was clear instead of frosted.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #5862
I haven't added this on my Axis, but a friend did and she loves it. Here is a picture and what she had to say...

Name:	Screenshot_20190819-064519_Facebook.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	19707Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190819-064813_Facebook.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	19709