Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2019, 12:57 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Just an FYI....

I spoke with Heather a Rickson today. Had to leave a couple vmails but she called me back. Very nice and helpful person as well as knowledgable about the application.

The bad news is there is currently ~4 month lead time for the wheels. They are waiting for their materials supplier to give them an update so they can get a better handle on when they can start manufacturing more of the 17.5" wheels.

I am getting into their manufacturing queue now. My tires only have 3000 miles and I am trying to be proactive by installing a better load carrying tire so I can wait 4 months. I am also going to order a 7th rim to have as a spare in case I damage one and need a replacement given they are custom.

She also convinced me to go with a drive / steer tire combination. She said the tires are going to be scaled down 18-wheeler type tires so traction on surfaces like wet grass will not be great. I will either go with Toyo or Yokohama tires with the mud / snow rated on the back and the regular tread on the front.
I hope you'll post a thread once you get them. I have been very interested in these...and have kicked myself for not doing it right after my blowout, instead of buying a whole new set of tires.
Anyway, I figure I'll probably do it in another year or so.... to be early based on the age of my current set...well, maybe.... if it's still lookin' like I'm going to keep it for a while longer....

Old 04-06-2019, 01:05 AM   #22

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
The seventh rim, as a spare taken with you, may be a good idea.

When renewing, and upgrading our Good Sam roadside coverage, the gal mentioned it covers changing a flat tire for you.
She also said it did not cover if you did not have a spare.
What would that scenario cost...$$$ ?

Look under the rear of yours, may be like ours, I fabbed a tire carrier from a piece of 2" pipe, 2 x 4 channel iron, and fastened it to the trailer hitch after adding a piece to bolt it to.
The pipe fit in an oval hole in the framework, my pivot point.

I have a welder and can put a descent bead, if it is horizontal in front of me, lol.
I'm glad I had a spare when mine blew. They were able to send a guy to change it right away. I'd have been waiting a whole lot longer for them to find someone with a tire that size.

That said, I've been thinking about if I ever do the Rickson conversion I'm not sure about the spare. I figure that if it comes to it one of the stock 16 inch wheels would work as a spare.... if it's a rear, one of the fronts could be moved back and the spare replacing it on the steer. Not perfect, but it would get me down the road at least.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:23 AM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I hope you'll post a thread once you get them. I have been very interested in these...and have kicked myself for not doing it right after my blowout, instead of buying a whole new set of tires.
Anyway, I figure I'll probably do it in another year or so.... to be early based on the age of my current set...well, maybe.... if it's still lookin' like I'm going to keep it for a while longer....

I will keep everyone posted. The good news is I did not have to put any money down given the long lead-times.

There is an outside change I could change my mind. With 7 rims, 6 tires and full hub caps I am going to be anywhere between $4K - $5K.... a little more than I want to spend but we plan to keep it for a while and it doesn't make sense to cut corners on safety.

We carry a Spyder in the garage, which is about 1000lbs so we get loaded down. Eventually we want to do some long trips (3 - 6 months) when we are retired so with that kind of mileage and load I think truck rated tires are the safe play.

I have also been looking at these tires... https://tiresize.com/tires/Nexen/Roa...-225-75R16.htm

I know some guys have tried them. They will fit the stock rims and are rated for over 3000lbs. I am just leery going with a lesser know brand tire. I just had a bad experience with a lesser known tire for my Spyder. It was made in Tailand and even though it was the right size and supposed to be made for the bike, my dealer could not get it on the rim!!!

I would like to go with the 235/85R16 since you can get those with a 121 rating but I am likely going to have clearance issues in the back.

All of that limits the choices....... I do like that the 17.5" rims will give me plenty of tire choices and some very good ties for heavy loads.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Harvard
I'm curious....do you sell these bushings yourself? If not, where can they be purchased?
Anyway, I'm curious if you're selling them yourself because I see your posts all the time always about this topic....
I am on a vendetta against the alignment shops that give the E350/E450 customer the "tweak the toe and you are good to go" type of service.

In 2017 Ingalls Engineering was purchased by Dorman Products, the 59400 bushings are now P/N 545-187 and/or
Moog K8986 and/or
NAPA 158986.

Here is a link to my story, circa 2011, over 97000 reads ago:

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #25

THOR #12751
So while I am waiting for Rickson Wheels to let me know when they will have a better estimate for the 17.5" wheels to be available... and then I will need to put money down.... I have been researching heavy load range tires that will fit the stock E-450 Class C rims.

It turns out there are more options available with a 120 / 121R Load Range for the 225/75R16 size than I thought were available.

Several people on here have already mentioned the Nexen Roadian CT8

https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse...&partno=15386N

Here are some other tires worth considering....

1) Continental Vancontact A/S (this is not the VancoFourSeason, which is also an option) https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...!g!99873031453!

2) General Grabber HD https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...!g!99872886733!

3) Federal Ecovan ER02 225/75R16 121/120R F (12 Ply) https://www.prioritytire.com/federal...l-season-tire/

4) Nokian WR C3 https://www.discounttirezone.com/NOK...xoC8hgQAvD_BwE

5) Michelin Agilis CrossClimate https://www.walmart.com/ip/Michelin-...RoCRRYQAvD_BwE

6) Hercules Terra Trac CH4 https://simpletire.com/hercules-lt22...BoCCakQAvD_BwE

I may consider the Continental, General or Michelin if I decide the cost of the 17.5" custom rims is just too expensive and still be able to use a tire that is rated for over 3000lbs.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #26

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
I saved for a few months and was going to do the rickson wheels and tires last year. Just as I was ready to pull the trigger I read about the nexen tires. I ended up going with the Nexen Roadian CT8 HL LT225/75R-16 from simple tire. I found a 10% coupon online and got 7 of them for $831, shipping was free. I had just under $200 in mounting and balance and I still have the original 8k mile michelins to sell. So for $1000 I got a higher load rating tire. I have put about 2000 miles or so on them so far and they are working fine.

I took the other couple thousand bucks I had saved and put it into more mods for my Jeep Wrangler...

This thread has more info on them.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...tml#post125954

mac 'hammer down' gyvr
Old 04-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #27

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
I saved for a few months and was going to do the rickson wheels and tires last year. Just as I was ready to pull the trigger I read about the nexen tires. I ended up going with the Nexen Roadian CT8 HL LT225/75R-16 from simple tire. I found a 10% coupon online and got 7 of them for $831, shipping was free. I had just under $200 in mounting and balance and I still have the original 8k mile michelins to sell. So for $1000 I got a higher load rating tire. I have put about 2000 miles or so on them so far and they are working fine.

I took the other couple thousand bucks I had saved and put it into more mods for my Jeep Wrangler...

This thread has more info on them.
[url]http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/17-5-wheels-tires-class-c-9383-5.html#post125954[/url

mac 'hammer down' gyvr

Thanks for the information and update on the Nexen's!

I am still on the waiting list for the Rickson setup and waiting for a firm date and invoice.

I know I am looking at $4500 - $5000 all in for the Rickson Wheels, Tires, Simulators, Shipping and a Spare Wheel but I am still considering just going with a E / 120 Load Range Tire because of the price difference.

The Pro's of the Rickson Setup are:

1) Better and More Tire Choices
2) Higher Load Ratings on Wheels and Tires (3500 - 3700lbs)
3) Plug-and-Play.... just pull the old ones off an install the new ones
4) Commercial / Truck rated tires are designed to be under heavy load all the time

The Con's of the Rickson Setup are:

1) Cost
2) Custom Wheel

My biggest concern with the 225/75R16 tires out there that are the higher Load Range E /120 is some of them are off brand and the Continentals have not gotten good reviews or no reviews on the Vancontact. I also worry about availability in the future since there are so few choices.

Keep us posted on how the Nexen's do for you. I'm going to make my final decision when I have to pay for the Rickson's.

If I go with the just the tires, I would probably go with the General's because the Michelin is a directional tires so that becomes an issue if you want to move them around.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
LT225/75R16 Load range E are “Light Truck” and not the same as the 225/75R16C where the C stands for “Commercial”. The difference in maximum load capacity is significant.

This particular size is common because it’s offered in the ProMaster van as an option. The standard tire is the LT and the optional one is 225/75R16C.

Ford also uses C (commercial) tires on Transit vans but in different 16-inch-wheel sizes. The larger on SRW Transits are 235/65R16C, which have similar load capacity but are a little smaller in diameter so can’t be mixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB92C95A-448A-4A92-8FA7-BCBDC6295528.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	16925  
Old 04-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #29

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonSeth View Post
What tire can I fit?!

I just purchased a 2019 Thor Quantum RS26 (Class C). We have only put a few hundred miles on the RV, but already have needs for improvements. We drag the rear coming up our driveway so I did helper bags and skid wheels, still drags a bit. I have the white-knuckle handling which really is terrible, this must be fixed asap.

I am considering one of two options: Option 1- upgraded sway bars and steering dampener, perhaps add a leaf spring, and then some good all terrain tires like BF K02 or similar with a larger contact surface and taller profile. It would be nice to have more ground clearance as well as dirt traction for a remote site we visit often. I would hope these improvements would get rid of the wandering and swaying, as well as give us a bit more traction and clearance. In this case what I the largest tire people have been running without rubbing? This is a $1k-$3k fix plus tires.

Option 2 - Drive down to weldtec (only 2 hours away) and drop big money on a 4-6" lift and tires to match. This likely solves all problems other than an empty wallet. This is a $7k fix plus tires, if I understand it correctly.

Any feedback from people with rear world experience on tire sizing on a stock height as well as bolt on suspension mods vs. fully modified? My main concern is just getting a comfortable ride without overspending if not necessary, ground clearance is an easier topic to sort through and only an issue very rarely. Handling is always an issue and needs correction asap.

Thanks for the help!
Seth
I would highly suggest that you make an appointment with Redlands Truck and RV. They can give you some ideas that work rather than throwing parts and money at your issue.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
What exactly is the difference between LT & C

We are near doing a very long trip, and the original Michelins of our 2015 Vegas 24.1 (E 350) are beginning to show some cracking. I would love to get a higher weight limit tire - and Michelin seems to have a new tire - the Agilis Cross Climate. It's a Commercial vs LT, with a 3200 lb max load. Unfortunately, I don't know what the difference between these two is, but I really like the heavier load rating.

I would love to be enlightened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
LT225/75R16 Load range E are “Light Truck” and not the same as the 225/75R16C where the C stands for “Commercial”. The difference in maximum load capacity is significant.

This particular size is common because it’s offered in the ProMaster van as an option. The standard tire is the LT and the optional one is 225/75R16C.

Ford also uses C (commercial) tires on Transit vans but in different 16-inch-wheel sizes. The larger on SRW Transits are 235/65R16C, which have similar load capacity but are a little smaller in diameter so can’t be mixed.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:14 AM   #31

THOR #12751
While waiting for an update from Rickson on the 17.5" wheels for my Class E-450, I have continued researching tires with a higher max load rating. As mentioned previously there are a couple options but I just stumbled on what appears to be a new offering from Goodyear.

I got an e-mail for my KOA Value Card saying you can get 20% off from Goodyear though June 30, 2019. I had already been to a Goodyear Commercial Shop and they could not come up with anything.

I just did a search and came up with the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT® C-Type (C meaning commercial rated) in a 225/75R16 with a Load Index of 121, a Max Load of 3195lbs and an R Speed Rating of 106MPH.

They are $230, which is a lot less than the 17.5" Rickson Wheels and Tires @ ~$4000 - $5000.

I am going to see if I can get them for the 20% of through KOA and if they are available. If so, I may just pull the trigger on them now.

Here is the link.....

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...tude-ht-c-type
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 9.13.35 PM.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	18161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 9.11.27 PM.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	18162  

Old 07-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #32

THOR #12751
Well..... I think I am giving up on the Rickson 17.5" Custom Wheels. I placed an order with Heather back in April and her and Dan could not give me a date other than to say "maybe" mid-July.

When I e-mailed Heather a couple weeks ago she said she had not heard anything about being able to make the 17.5" wheels and "no news is likely bad news." I also e-mailed Dan Richter and got no response from him at all.

I just e-mailed Heather again now that is mid-July and got an automated response back that says:

This is Heather from Rickson. Due to circumstances within Rickson Truck Wheels, which have proven far beyond my control and influence, I am no longer able to work for Rickson and am now pursuing new employment opportunities.

Please contact the company president/general manager, Dan Richter
for ALL inquires of any nature for the company.

So it sounds like things at Rickson are a bit of a mess. Even though I ordered 7 wheels to have a spare it would be a nightmare if you needed replacement wheels and they were the only ones who offered them.

So now I am moving ahead with Plan B. I have decided that I am either going to go with the Michelin Agilis commercial rated 225/75R16 120/121R

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...6ACC&tab=Sizes

Or the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT commercial rated 225/75R16 121R

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...tude-ht-c-type

I thought about trying a 235/85R16 120R. It would be a tight fit but I talked to someone on the forum who did it and said they will fit. The issue is they are not commercial rated (heavy loads all the time with sidewall reinforcement) and they drop more in load range with dual tires than the Michelin and Goodyear's.

Right now I have a coupon to get the Goodyear's at 20% off but I am waiting till the end of the month when Costco will likely start a sale on their Michelin Tires.

Just wanted to let you all know that if you were thinking of going with the Rickson 17.5" custom wheels, you are better off looking at one of the above tires. And it will also save you about $2500 - $3500 as well compared to going with the custom 17.5" wheels and tires.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #33

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
FYI, the unladen (3/4 full of fuel) weight on the drive axle of my Outlaw 29H was 8260, and front was 4720, as measured when my rig was new, on a CAT scale at Loves.
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #34

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadv View Post
FYI, the unladen (3/4 full of fuel) weight on the drive axle of my Outlaw 29H was 8260, and front was 4720, as measured when my rig was new, on a CAT scale at Loves.
Thanks for that info!

I've been wanting to get weighed at Love's too when I have the Spyder, full load of fuel, water, propane and gear. I'm going to try to do that next trip.

My Spyder dry weight is 1012lbs. If you are 8260 with nothing in the garage, I would be about 9300lbs with the Spyder loaded. Throw in the rest of the gear I carry in the rear and I probably right up against the max capacity of the stock tires.

Going to a 121/120 commercial tire would give me about 3800lbs more capacity than the stock tires and they will be designed for carrying heavy loads most of the time versus an LT tire and they will have a beefier sidewall..... but I am still going to be getting close to the 14,500 GVWR when I'm fully loaded.

I just like the idea of a tire designed to carry heavy weight more often than not to minimize blow-out chances as much as possible.

I'll sell my stock tires and that will help subsidize the new ones. I only have 5000 miles on them and they still look like new.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:24 AM   #35

Model: 2020 Thor Outlaw 29J
State: California
THOR #16597
I just finished a 6" lift from Weldtec and 235/85/16 tires on a 2020 Outlaw. It was a fun project for me and Weldtec was very helpful. With the custom leaf springs in the back, I only got 4 1/2" of lift so we are talking to the spring fabricator to see what we can do. If I were to do it again I think I would be happy with a 4" lift plus 1" from the tires for a total of 5".

I went to the alignment shop today and the first shop said it was too far out to align, and the second shop did the best they could but the front wheels wander back and forth more than I have ever experienced. Hopefully, Weldtec and I will sort it out.

I love the lift, as it doubled my clearance under the jacks and I don't drag in my driveway anymore. The Fox shocks improve the ride also.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #36

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
I went to the alignment shop today and the first shop said it was too far out to align, and the second shop did the best they could but the front wheels wander back and forth more than I have ever experienced. Hopefully, Weldtec and I will sort it out.

I love the lift, as it doubled my clearance under the jacks and I don't drag in my driveway anymore. The Fox shocks improve the ride also.

I had a 2018 Outlaw 29H. I didn’t do the lift kit but it wandered all over the road, was pushed around by passing trucks and took two hands on the wheel to keep it between the lines.

I ended up installing Hellwig heavy duty front and rear sway bars, a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and front / rear sumo springs. After I did all that it was a dream to drive compared to stock.

You may not need the sumo springs or sway bars with the heavy duty springs from the lift kit but I would consider a Roadmaster or Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:02 PM   #37

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I had a 2018 Outlaw 29H.
I remember a post where now you have a "super-C" RV.
Of all the work and modifications you had done, shore power hook up, etc,

Was the commercial tire rating why you went bigger RV?
I am still contemplating the upgrade in load capacity tires, and your input is greatly appreciated here, thanks.

And lastly, are you starting over with your personalization upgrades, like on the other one?
Old 11-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #38

THOR #12751
Max Tire for Class C and suspension questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
I remember a post where now you have a "super-C" RV.

Of all the work and modifications you had done, shore power hook up, etc,

Was the commercial tire rating why you went bigger RV?

I am still contemplating the upgrade in load capacity tires, and your input is greatly appreciated here, thanks.

And lastly, are you starting over with your personalization upgrades, like on the other one?

Great questions Rusty!

Had I kept the 29H, the next upgrade would have been the Goodyear commercial rated tires. The stock LT tires are not only near max capacity with the Outlaw but LT tires are not meant to carry a heavy load continually like commercial tires are designed to do. My advice it is the best upgrade you can do from a safety perspective.

Here are the reasons we ultimately decided to trade in the Outlaw 29H after all the work I put into it. These are in order for the most part:

1. Floor Plan - Are ultimate goal is to spend 3 - 4 months a year traveling, especially out west. After a year in the 29H we decided not having a good bed and enough storage was going to be a showstopper.

2. Payload Capacity - the 29H was 1000lbs overweight with our Spyder loaded in the garage. The reason we went for the 29H was not having to tow something. Even though the garage says it will hold 1500lbs the 1000lb Spyder put it overweight. While I felts shorts trips would not be a problem I did not like the idea of long drives overloaded by 1000lbs so towing was back in the picture.

3. Power - I felt the V10 / transmission combo was not going to have the power for climbing the mountains out west and towing at near max capacity.

After looking at several Super C’s, we decided the Magnitude SV34 had the right floor plan, plenty of carrying capacity and more than enough power. So far it has been perfect for us.

The F-550 is the real deal in terms of handling and ride quality plus the benefits of 19.5” tires designed for heavy loads. The PowerStroke diesel has plenty of power and it rarely or never shift going up grades and hills. It’s also quiet enough so you can have a normal conversation at highway speeds. It turns about 2200 - 2300 RPM’s at 60 - 65mph and I’m get over 10MPG if I keep it under 65.

So far I’ve towed the Spyder on an aluminum trailer and I couldn’t even tell I was pulling the 1700lb load. I’m looking forward to how it pulls a Toad. I just had to replace the Silverado a year a head of schedule because of an oil leak getting progressively worse. We picked up a 2018 GMC Canyon Denali with 30K on it and 4 cyl Duramax diesel that I am going to setup to tow. I’m sold on diesels now after the Magnitude. The Canyon is getting 24MPG in city driving.