Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2020, 06:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Massachusetts
THOR #20288
Rear emergency exit window

My wife and I just started RVing a month ago. Bought a 1 year old Thor Hurricane 29M. Been gone every weekend since and going out for a week next month. We love the coach. My question is the bedroom is a little claustrophobic. I want to put a screen and window arm on the emergency exit window. Has anybody done this? Any ideas? I’ve been reading Everybody’s comments from mods to extended warranties and buying fro Camping World. Learned a lot and appreciate all the information .

Old 09-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum.

Our previous coach, a 2015 Challenger 37ND, had 2 emergency exits and one of them, the big one in the bathroom, was hinged on top and had a bar to latch the window open and it came with a screen.

Hehr manufactured the windows so you might try calling them to see if they have a retrofit kit for your window.

In the pic below, the red U shaped handle is used to remove the screen for exit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Challenger Exit Window.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	26334
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnadeau794 View Post
My wife and I just started RVing a month ago. Bought a 1 year old Thor Hurricane 29M. Been gone every weekend since and going out for a week next month. We love the coach. My question is the bedroom is a little claustrophobic. I want to put a screen and window arm on the emergency exit window. Has anybody done this? Any ideas? I’ve been reading Everybody’s comments from mods to extended warranties and buying fro Camping World. Learned a lot and appreciate all the information .
Just a caution: The top hinges on the emergency rear window are release hinges. After the window is opened about 25 degrees, the hinges release the window letting it fall to the ground. This is to aid in a panic exit
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Our previous coach, a 2015 Challenger 37ND, had 2 emergency exits and one of them, the big one in the bathroom, was hinged on top and had a bar to latch the window open and it came with a screen.

Hehr manufactured the windows so you might try calling them to see if they have a retrofit kit for your window.

In the pic below, the red U shaped handle is used to remove the screen for exit.

Attachment 26334

We had a nice big rear escape window just like that on our Fleetwood. It would have been relatively easy to use in an emergency because you could leave from the bed and reach the ladder right outside. Our new coach has a similar size rear window but it is fixed. The escape window is is a tiny thing above the dresser and below the TV. I expect I’ll perish in an emergency. I have no idea why they set it up this way.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:25 AM   #5

Model: AXIS 25.3
State: California
THOR #20631
Back before manufacturers added the lever to use the emergency exit window for ventilation, I stapled velcro to a piece of screen and used double-sided foam tape to attach the loop part of the velcro to the wall around the window. I would open a corner of the screen and release the window and use a 6" long 2x2 to hold the window open. In an emergency I could either remove the screen quickly or just dive through it. Added much needed cross ventilation because we had no ac in our little 1998 Thor Tahoe Lite 19UD trailer.
Paul W
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:52 PM   #6

THOR #20288
Thank you. I’ll try that Monday
Old 10-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #7

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
I guess if you dive through it you would save your live but that would be a horrific fall! Lol[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Woods View Post
Back before manufacturers added the lever to use the emergency exit window for ventilation, I stapled velcro to a piece of screen and used double-sided foam tape to attach the loop part of the velcro to the wall around the window. I would open a corner of the screen and release the window and use a 6" long 2x2 to hold the window open. In an emergency I could either remove the screen quickly or just dive through it. Added much needed cross ventilation because we had no ac in our little 1998 Thor Tahoe Lite 19UD trailer.
Paul W
Old 10-08-2020, 10:55 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
In our "15 Windsport 27K we have a similar window which came without a screen and no way to hold it open for ventilation. Our window consists of a large lower window which is hinged and a fixed narrow upper window. What we did was to buy cloth screen material , sew a binding all the way about 1/2" wide and then sewed 1/2" Velcro to that (the soft side of the Velcro). On the window frame we attached the the other portion of the Velcro with double sided tape. To hold the window open I cut a 3/8" rod in 6", 8", and 10" lengths to hold open the window. To open the window we just pull open the lower right corner enough to reach the lever, open the window and place the rod between the frame and the window. The window is heavy enough that the rods stay in place. We've been using this arrangement for the last 5 years. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
I made a screen with Velcro and use a tongue depressor to hold the window open a bit.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #10

THOR #20288
Thanks for everybody’s help and suggestions. I used double back tape and 36” screen material to cover the window. I can lift the bottom of the screen to unlock and lock the window. A plastic fork holds the window open.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #11

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnadeau794 View Post
Thanks for everybody’s help and suggestions. I used double back tape and 36” screen material to cover the window. I can lift the bottom of the screen to unlock and lock the window. A plastic fork holds the window open.
Welcome to the forum!
As a fellow 29M owner, it would be great to see some pictures of what you've done. You might also consider posting them to the "Jerry's Hurricane mods" thread. Jerry and many others have 29M's -- so you might find it interesting reading.

Cheers!