Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2021, 01:24 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210529-192342_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	30975  

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:13 AM   #22

State: California
THOR #12313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
How much dynamat did you purchase to do the doghouse? The installation looks nice, neat and clean!
I have a 2018 E350 Chateau 24F.

I purchased one Extreme Dynamat units. 12 square feet. It comes with four sheets. I only used three sheets for the dog house.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:15 AM   #23

THOR #12313
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona tom View Post
i purchased one extreme dynamat units. 12 square feet. It comes with four sheets. I only used three sheets for the dog house.

Name:	IMG_2746.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	30983
Old 05-31-2021, 10:32 PM   #24

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Also cover underside of step well.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:58 AM   #25

THOR #20220
I did see the open area under the drivers and passengers seat. Real tight in there ..is there where you installed it?

Someone said mold wet could develop there. .should I be concerned?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 07-01-2021, 12:27 AM   #26

Model: Challenger 37FH
State: Florida
THOR #20111
Newbie here….

Newbies here! Hubby is a little bit handy but nothing too complicated. How difficult is it to remove and reattach the dog house?
Old 07-01-2021, 12:39 AM   #27
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasDEC View Post
Newbies here! Hubby is a little bit handy but nothing too complicated. How difficult is it to remove and reattach the dog house?
Not sure about the newer models but on my 2015 37ND there were only 4 screws that held it in place.

Here's the link from when I did some sound deadening to the rig a few years ago.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...egin-1515.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:56 PM   #28

THOR #20111
Thank you again for your help.👍 Hubby and I finally did this project - putting Dynamat on the underside of the doghouse. Since I had so much material leftover I decided to add an extra layer. We still had material leftover so I put Dynamat on the underside of the wheel wells as best as I could. I’m petite which was a blessing and a curse during this project. Blessing because I was able to get into the wheel wells and work whereas my very tall hubby couldn’t fit. Curse because I have short arms and had a little trouble reaching back very far. Overall I was able to get really good coverage in the wheel wells over the drivers and passenger areas. We also bought the Dynamat sound reduction floor mat which we cut and placed on the both driver and passenger’s front floor boards. We are both VERY pleased with the results. We both immediately noticed the difference as we were driving down the road and up hills. Thank you again. 😃
Old 09-23-2021, 12:31 AM   #29

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasDEC View Post
Thank you again for your help.👍 Hubby and I finally did this project - putting Dynamat on the underside of the doghouse. Since I had so much material leftover I decided to add an extra layer. We still had material leftover so I put Dynamat on the underside of the wheel wells as best as I could. I’m petite which was a blessing and a curse during this project. Blessing because I was able to get into the wheel wells and work whereas my very tall hubby couldn’t fit. Curse because I have short arms and had a little trouble reaching back very far. Overall I was able to get really good coverage in the wheel wells over the drivers and passenger areas. We also bought the Dynamat sound reduction floor mat which we cut and placed on the both driver and passenger’s front floor boards. We are both VERY pleased with the results. We both immediately noticed the difference as we were driving down the road and up hills. Thank you again. 😃
Are the both driver and passenger’s front floor boards under the carriage..under the motorhome?

How did you clean the wheel wells?

What if snow and water hit there?

Someone told me it could mildew?
Old 09-23-2021, 12:49 AM   #30

THOR #20111
Yes, both the driver and passenger front floor boards are under the carriage, above the wheels. I cleaned the wheel wells with Lysol wipes and a wet paper towel. It was dirty, but not super ridiculous dirty. It came clean pretty easily. I let it dry while I was measuring and cutting the Dynamat. (It’s easier to work with in smaller sections.). I guess I could’ve cleaned it with a hose and a soapy sponge, but we were in a campground and not at home. I suppose it could get mildewy, but that can happen to anything outside the motor home. Not sure what Dynamat is actually made of, but I’d describe it as a super sticky rubbery glue material covered in heavy tin foil. I’m not really worried about it getting mildew. If it does, I’ll break out the hose and soapy sponge. The wheel well area is kind of high up so I’m not too worried about rain or snow. But since the tin foil type material is exposed to the elements I imagine it will protect the rubbery substance pretty well. It looks pretty durable, but I’ll keep an eye on it and see how it holds up.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:00 AM   #31

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Does all this insulation make the 29M ride any better?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:25 AM   #32

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Are the both driver and passenger’s front floor boards under the carriage..under the motorhome?

How did you clean the wheel wells?

What if snow and water hit there?

Someone told me it could mildew?
Sound deadening using these materials are INTERIOR applications. The sound comes from resonate, generally thin, metal floorboard panels, wheel wells and other exposed surfaces. Think about it: if a flat piece of metal is vibrating, you can stop those vibrations from EITHER side.

Exterior sound deadening (like in cars) is typically sprayed on... it looks like undercoating, but is actually a special foam bonding material designed for exterior applications. I would not suggest trying to use an adhesive backed (stick on) sound deadening material anywhere it is exposed to the elements, especially not in wheel wells!

Remove your cab seats and any floor covering to expose the metal floorboard, wheel wells and door sills. Cover those exposed metal surfaces ENTIRELY with adhesive backed Dynamat, Kilmat or similar. The doghouse cover has already been discussed... the only caution is to understand heat shielding needed there.

Use a product like Noico foam under the dash where additional engine and road noise intrudes. The more meticulously you cover those areas, the better the results will be.

Don't expect miracles... a front engine commercial vehicle will never be as quiet in the cab area as a diesel pusher. But... you should see a significant reduction in engine/road noise.

Now... that WIND NOISE!!
Old 09-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #33

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Here is was I used worked great, two layers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	006DA46A-8123-47DB-BAD6-6EF558B33FFD.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	33831   Click image for larger version

Name:	7AE757D9-A018-4C2E-92DB-FA53FE3685D7.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	33832  

Old 09-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #34
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Sound deadening using these materials are INTERIOR applications. The sound comes from resonate, generally thin, metal floorboard panels, wheel wells and other exposed surfaces. Think about it: if a flat piece of metal is vibrating, you can stop those vibrations from EITHER side.

Exterior sound deadening (like in cars) is typically sprayed on... it looks like undercoating, but is actually a special foam bonding material designed for exterior applications. I would not suggest trying to use an adhesive backed (stick on) sound deadening material anywhere it is exposed to the elements, especially not in wheel wells!

Remove your cab seats and any floor covering to expose the metal floorboard, wheel wells and door sills. Cover those exposed metal surfaces ENTIRELY with adhesive backed Dynamat, Kilmat or similar. The doghouse cover has already been discussed... the only caution is to understand heat shielding needed there.

Use a product like Noico foam under the dash where additional engine and road noise intrudes. The more meticulously you cover those areas, the better the results will be.

Don't expect miracles... a front engine commercial vehicle will never be as quiet in the cab area as a diesel pusher. But... you should see a significant reduction in engine/road noise.

Now... that WIND NOISE!!
Quote:
Dynamat 11905 Hoodliner 32" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00069QLVC/

I don't think "Hoodliner" is an interior application. Under the doghouse is exactly what a product like Dynamat is designed for. Mine's been there for 4+ years with no ill effects and I also put some under the flat part of the floor area in the cab and it's working fine with no mold/mildew here in the hot/humid Florida weather. A vast improvement over Thor's OEM hoodliner installation.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #35

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00069QLVC/

I don't think "Hoodliner" is an interior application. Under the doghouse is exactly what a product like Dynamat is designed for. Mine's been there for 4+ years with no ill effects and I also put some under the flat part of the floor area in the cab and it's working fine with no mold/mildew here in the hot/humid Florida weather. A vast improvement over Thor's OEM hoodliner installation.
Which is the reasoning behind my previous comment:
...The doghouse cover has already been discussed... the only caution is to understand heat shielding needed there.

I used both Kilmat and Noico foam in my doghouse cover - BUT I replaced the factory heat shielding (hoodliner material) over it... resulting in three layers.

Using a product DESIGNED for it's intended purpose is key - "hoodliner" is specifically designed for use in "reasonably" high temperature areas like above/around engines.

Bottom line is follow the maunfacturer's instructions for intended use.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #36

THOR #20220
Our 30 year ACE rv tech kurts repair will only use
Dynamat
Old 09-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #37

THOR #16721
Quote:
Our 30 year ACE rv tech kurts repair will only use
Dynamat
People have varying reasons why they use certain products... sometimes it's just being comfortable with what they've used in the past, and that works for them. Ford guys... Chevy guys...

I haven't found any UNBIASED technical reviews of comparable (mainstream) sound deadening materials. They appear to be constructed VERY similarly using nearly identical materials. For all intents, I would expect differences in "real world" performance to be VERY difficult to detect, and most likely subjective at best. For comparison you would need IDENTICALLY prepared tests using EXACTING installation methods... and that just ain't happening with consumer installed products.

I would be suspect of products that are VERY low priced compared to like items. Also consider the "Name Brand" effect... the product price is inflated simply because it is more well known. But me... I like to give the "new kid" a fair shot in competing against the big guys.

A YouTuber channel called "Project Farm" does some incredible real world testing... but I haven't seen him do sound deadening materials yet.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #38

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
People have varying reasons why they use certain products... sometimes it's just being comfortable with what they've used in the past, and that works for them. Ford guys... Chevy guys...

I haven't found any UNBIASED technical reviews of comparable (mainstream) sound deadening materials. They appear to be constructed VERY similarly using nearly identical materials. For all intents, I would expect differences in "real world" performance to be VERY difficult to detect, and most likely subjective at best. For comparison you would need IDENTICALLY prepared tests using EXACTING installation methods... and that just ain't happening with consumer installed products.

I would be suspect of products that are VERY low priced compared to like items. Also consider the "Name Brand" effect... the product price is inflated simply because it is more well known. But me... I like to give the "new kid" a fair shot in competing against the big guys.

A YouTuber channel called "Project Farm" does some incredible real world testing... but I haven't seen him do sound deadening materials yet.
Funny I agree my tech said it would never buy a Ford product
Old 09-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #39

THOR #16721
Quote:
Funny I agree my tech said it would never buy a Ford product
My dad was a "GM guy"... father-in-law was a "Ford guy". I never asked either of them to explain their reasoning...
Old 09-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #40

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Has anyone installed the Dynomat on a 2021 Class C (E450)? I just removed our doghouse and the insulation seems quite thick, however, we still have quite a bit of road and engine noise. Image attached. It looks like the factory heat shield is decent but looks like it provides no sound deadening.
Thanks,
Eric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	doghouse.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	33907