Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7497
Question Modifications for storage Hurricane 29M

Has anyone come up with modifications for the storage in their Hurricane 29M, particularly the under the bed storage or under the dinette bench? Trying to get things in and out of the under bed storage is difficult - one must lift up the mattress and the wooden top piece and hold it open with your shoulder or back whilst pulling stuff out or putting in. We store some extra egg crate foam mattress toppers for the extra beds in our camper, and it's really difficult to take them in and out, along with extra quilts etc. that we put in there. Our thoughts: something to hold wooden cover in place (prop it up) while getting things out, such as a rod. Or cutting a door into the end panel of the bed that could slide across providing access, eliminating the need to lift the heavy bed. Anyone tried anything that has worked? Just looking for ideas. Pictures would be helpful if you've modified something to help with storage. We also have storage in this RV under the couch area, but that is really hard to access without pulling out the whole pullout bed, so we don't keep much under there.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:37 AM   #2

Model: 29 M Hurricane
State: Florida
THOR #14300
I modified the couch and removed bed assembly as we were never going to use it as a bed. The seat fits on just as before and I now have a large and easily accessible storage area underneath.
RecPro Recliners
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:25 AM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #11781
I use a length of wooden closet rod and a rod end cup to act as a prop for access to the bed storage area. I don't use the under bench area as it contains the water pump and an electrical outlet.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:55 AM   #4

State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb52 View Post
Has anyone come up with modifications for the storage in their Hurricane 29M, particularly the under the bed storage or under the dinette bench? Trying to get things in and out of the under bed storage is difficult - one must lift up the mattress and the wooden top piece and hold it open with your shoulder or back whilst pulling stuff out or putting in. We store some extra egg crate foam mattress toppers for the extra beds in our camper, and it's really difficult to take them in and out, along with extra quilts etc. that we put in there. Our thoughts: something to hold wooden cover in place (prop it up) while getting things out, such as a rod. Or cutting a door into the end panel of the bed that could slide across providing access, eliminating the need to lift the heavy bed. Anyone tried anything that has worked? Just looking for ideas. Pictures would be helpful if you've modified something to help with storage. We also have storage in this RV under the couch area, but that is really hard to access without pulling out the whole pullout bed, so we don't keep much under there.
I created storage space under the bed by removing three of the four panels under the mattress and replacing them with one hinged panel with two struts to help lift and support it in the open position. As your can see in the pictures I removed existing structural supports and replaced them with structural reinforcement on the under side of the hinged plywood panel. To protect electric components on the left side I installed an ⅛” hardboard cover under the hinged panel. This design works well but I’m sure it could be improved by moving the left strut to the far left side over the electrical components.

Good luck with your project,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8187532C-85E0-499F-8AFE-E96C31DE83AE.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	19368   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A141109-04D9-44E0-A82C-0C3FDFB954B7.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	19369  

Name:	92F29240-5BB3-4F5D-BC70-2A23EEB374CE.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	19370  
Old 08-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
I dig that setup. Nice.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
For the under bed storage in our ace I added gas spring support struts. Now my wife can lift it with one hand. Should be standard equipment on these Thor coaches, it was on my last travel trailer. I did have to beef up the hinges as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #7

Model: Thor 29M Hurricane
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7934
What is the load weight of each strut? Also what is the extended length and or compresed length?
Old 08-08-2019, 11:04 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK52 View Post
What is the load weight of each strut? Also what is the extended length and or compresed length?
Did you look at the link?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #9

THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK52 View Post
I used 20” extended 90# struts I bought at Camping World. My panel is only 48x68 inches with a 72x76 mattress on top of the panel. The first set I bought was too strong and required too much effort to close the panel. I’m sorry I don’t remember how strong the first set was.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #10

THOR #7948
I also added a drawer in front of the water pump located under the dinette seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EEBCAEC9-587F-4618-88D5-1DAB23EEF7AC.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	19507   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C0D216F-FC94-458C-B3BC-C4339EAC33C1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	19508  

Old 08-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
I should work on something for the 34j there. The seat belts are why they didn't do a drawer I'm guessing. It is the only difference between the two sides.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #12

THOR #7948
You’re right. This probably is not a modification you would want if you use the seat belts often. The drawer is positioned to allow the seat belts to be used if needed but we have them rolled up on the floor beside the drawer. The drawer doesn’t interfere with the seat belts but the seat belts would probably interfere with the operation of the drawer.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
I dig that setup. Nice.
I agree: It's cooler than the underside of the pillow!

VERY, very nice job!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #14

State: New York
THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndLindaRogers View Post
You’re right. This probably is not a modification you would want if you use the seat belts often. The drawer is positioned to allow the seat belts to be used if needed but we have them rolled up on the floor beside the drawer. The drawer doesn’t interfere with the seat belts but the seat belts would probably interfere with the operation of the drawer.

I did the same thing in our 29m, but I installed a 2x4 that the drawer track is attached to on the wall side, and pulled the seat belts up behind the 2x4 into position for use and they don't interfere with the drawer.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #15

THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
I did the same thing in our 29m, but I installed a 2x4 that the drawer track is attached to on the wall side, and pulled the seat belts up behind the 2x4 into position for use and they don't interfere with the drawer.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #16

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb52 View Post
Simple....wooden dowel with a little notch in each end to accommodate the mattress frame up and the bed frame down. Lift, put the dowel in and then store either under the bed or in the closet next to the bed....just like the older cars that have a rod to keep the hood up. Want to get fancy, attach the dowel on the mattress side with a little hinge just like the cars do. Or, just have someone (me) hold the bed up while the other person (wife) gets or stores the stuff
Old 08-18-2019, 02:15 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I do the holding while wife pulls stuff out or outside in back in. Easy

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:03 AM   #18

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I do the holding while wife pulls stuff out or outside in back in. Easy

Jerry
Same here 😊 But we don't get under the master bed much. Then again, it's only the two of us.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:06 AM   #19

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Our 29M still has the original sofa, and it has a drawer under it. Bedding and wine goes there pretty well.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote