Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Mods done to 27K and 27.1 table area?

Has anyone with a Windsport/Hurricane 27K or ACE 27.1 removed the original dinette and replaced it with something more comfortable? We have already changed the foam in the long seat and moved the base out from the wall about 4" which has helped but would really like a total change. Any ideas and pics will be appreciated.

John & Diane

Old 05-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Has anyone with a Windsport/Hurricane 27K or ACE 27.1 removed the original dinette and replaced it with something more comfortable? We have already changed the foam in the long seat and moved the base out from the wall about 4" which has helped but would really like a total change. Any ideas and pics will be appreciated.

John & Diane
Am in the middle of doing the same thing with all the electric under the short end it would be too much to relocate. I did do away with long table and one post leg and installed the small oval table from between captains chair at the 90* angle only 2 of us so it is enough room as dining table

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #7577
would love ideas on changing seating in Ace 27.1 too!

Seriously would love ideas on this too, and for those who have done it, please post your pics! Just went on a 3 hour excursion and found the seating most uncomfortable for just the short 3 hour ride....
Old 05-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #4

THOR #989
Found a double recliner that might work

A search on Ebay under "RV furniture" turned up a 58" wide double recliner loveseat that might work with a little work. I'm thinking that we could totally remove the portion along the outside wall. making room for the recliner. After another look at all the electrical, I think that I can narrow this seat by about 8" and add a nice top to to create and end table. In order to keep the converter accessible I will move it so it faces into the walkway, across from the stove. It appears that there is enough wire to make the move. Finding room for the heat ducts should not present any major problem.

This is the Loveseat I found.

RecPro™ Charles 58" Double RV Zero Wall Hugger Recliner Sofa Loveseat Toffee( 292036700284 )
Old 06-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #5

THOR #7634
I removed the table and pulled up the cushions for the first time yesterday. I was surprised by the amount of electrical connections and equipment under the short leg. Do you think the love seat recliner you linked to would fit without narrowing the short side? Also what about a table in front of the recliner. We like to use the dinette table for food prep when cooking.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #6

THOR #989
The 58" loveseat / recliners should fit in without narrowing the short leg according to the measurements in our coach. I'm going to start out this project leaving that side as is. I still think the converter will have to be moved so it faces the stove as access to it will be blocked and I think the air flow cooling it will also be affected. We are going to Indiana tomorrow to look at the loveseat and if the DW is happy we will be ordering one this week. As for the table we plan on using the little one between the captains chairs for now. I do know, the post bases in the current position will be under the recliners. Might be able to re-position those and make a long narrow table. Since there is just me and the DW we probably won't.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:57 AM   #7

THOR #989
58" RecPro loveseat/recliners fit

Hi Everyone, We visited Rec Pro in Bristol Indiana Tuesday to check out their 58" coach/recliner. We really liked it so we bought it. By unboxing the pieces, bases and backs, it fit in our SUV.

Worked on removing the old bench along the outside wall and moving the converter and heat ducts yesterday and put the recliners in today. Moving the converter and organizing the wiring took the most time. I used some paneling that matches our interior to make an insert for where the converter originally came from. I located one of the heat ducts in that panel. I framed the end of the remaining bench seat and moved the converter there and trimmed it out with more paneling. I had to move one junction box and a ground wire block. I did not have to unhook any wiring to make these changes. By removing some of the wood where the converter was mounted I was able to move it from the original location to the new location without disconnecting anything.

Today we put the recliners in. I attached lengths of chain to the bases that I bolted to the seat belt bolts. This allows the seats to be pulled forward to allow for full extension in case someone wants to sleep on them. Up against the wall they work as a regular recliner. Check their website for more information. RecPro.com

Next project will be to turn the remaining bench into an end table of some sort.

Attached are some pics.

John & Diane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2534.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	5201   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2538.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	5202  

Name:	100_2541.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	5203   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2544.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	5204  

Old 06-09-2017, 04:31 AM   #8

THOR #7634
Wow, nice job. Thanks for the pictures and details. I am inspired.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #9

THOR #5326
Quote:
Hi Everyone, We visited Rec Pro in Bristol Indiana Tuesday to check out their 58" coach/recliner. We really liked it so we bought it. By unboxing the pieces, bases and backs, it fit in our SUV.

Worked on removing the old bench along the outside wall and moving the converter and heat ducts yesterday and put the recliners in today. Moving the converter and organizing the wiring took the most time. I used some paneling that matches our interior to make an insert for where the converter originally came from. I located one of the heat ducts in that panel. I framed the end of the remaining bench seat and moved the converter there and trimmed it out with more paneling. I had to move one junction box and a ground wire block. I did not have to unhook any wiring to make these changes. By removing some of the wood where the converter was mounted I was able to move it from the original location to the new location without disconnecting anything.

Today we put the recliners in. I attached lengths of chain to the bases that I bolted to the seat belt bolts. This allows the seats to be pulled forward to allow for full extension in case someone wants to sleep on them. Up against the wall they work as a regular recliner. Check their website for more information. RecPro.com

Next project will be to turn the remaining bench into an end table of some sort.

Attached are some pics.

John & Diane
Looks awesome looking to do same also raising the short bench and using the old dinette top as the counter top for it

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 06-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #10

THOR #989
Hi dcbenny,

Your comment about using the original table top as a cover came at the perfect time as we were shopping for hardwood to make our top out of. THANKS! I had forgotten the about the original table which I put in storage after making a smaller, lighter one a few years ago. I actually had two tables as the one that came with the coach had a blemish and Thor sent us a replacement. I ended up using both table tops to make the top of the electrical compartment and the shelf above it. The DW did not want me to raise the top, she wanted it to act like an end table. I will probably add electric in this area for charging phones, tablets etc.

If you have any questions about what I did feel free to message me.

John & Diane
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2555.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	5245   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2556.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	5246  

Name:	100_2557.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	5247   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2558.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	5248  

Old 06-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #11

THOR #5326
Quote:
Hi dcbenny,

Your comment about using the original table top as a cover came at the perfect time as we were shopping for hardwood to make our top out of. THANKS! I had forgotten the about the original table which I put in storage after making a smaller, lighter one a few years ago. I actually had two tables as the one that came with the coach had a blemish and Thor sent us a replacement. I ended up using both table tops to make the top of the electrical compartment and the shelf above it. The DW did not want me to raise the top, she wanted it to act like an end table. I will probably add electric in this area for charging phones, tablets etc.

John & Diane
That came out AWESOME thanks for sharing may rethink less work

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 06-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #12

THOR #5326
Quote:
Hi dcbenny,

John & Diane
John what is that little corner shelf where did you get it

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 06-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #13

THOR #7634
Quote:

Today we put the recliners in. I attached lengths of chain to the bases that I bolted to the seat belt bolts. This allows the seats to be pulled forward to allow for full extension in case someone wants to sleep on them. Up against the wall they work as a regular recliner.
John & Diane
So with the chains attached to the seat belt bolts, the recliners are free to move (to the extent of the chains) and not bolted solidly to the floor? Will this be a problem during travel, free to move?

Also what did you do with the second heater vent and duct?

I love the end table, the whole project looks really nice and professional.

Tom
Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #14

THOR #989
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
John what is that little corner shelf where did you get it
Hi DC,

The DW wanted a place to put her earrings and watch at night. We could not find any thing that would seem to work so I made one with some scrap wood I had in the shop. The DW painted it to her liking. Attached are a few close up photos in case you want to make one like it.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2565.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	5283   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2566.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	5284  

Old 06-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #15

THOR #989
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
So with the chains attached to the seat belt bolts, the recliners are free to move (to the extent of the chains) and not bolted solidly to the floor? Will this be a problem during travel, free to move?

Also what did you do with the second heater vent and duct?

I love the end table, the whole project looks really nice and professional.

Tom
Hi Tom,

The love seat/recliners are not bolted to the floor. The chains only allow the unit to move about 3'' out from the wall, just enough to fully recline to the sleeping position. When up against the wall you can go to the recline positions (wall hugger).
I ran the second heater duct behind the recliners and brought the outlet down the right side of the seats, just behind the drivers seat. I had to add to the original duct to get that far. I built a twin chambered box to house the duct and storage for the table leg. There is a space between the box and the seat where we keep the small table that goes between the front seats.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2567.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	5285   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2568.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	5286  

Old 06-14-2017, 11:40 PM   #16

THOR #5326
Quote:
Hi DC,

The DW wanted a place to put her earrings and watch at night. We could not find any thing that would seem to work so I made one with some scrap wood I had in the shop. The DW painted it to her liking. Attached are a few close up photos in case you want to make one like it.

John

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 05-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #17

State: California
THOR #11515
Quote:

John & Diane
Hi John and Diane,
We saw what you did by putting in the recliners and we would like to do that too. How comfortable are the recliners you purchased? Have you done anything yet with the bench area next to the recliners?

Neal Parker
Old 05-03-2018, 02:42 AM   #18

THOR #989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Parker View Post
Hi John and Diane,
We saw what you did by putting in the recliners and we would like to do that too. How comfortable are the recliners you purchased? Have you done anything yet with the bench area next to the recliners?

Neal Parker
Hi Neal,
The recliners we purchased from RecPro are very comfortable and seem to be holding up well. In regards to the bench area, post #10 (6/11/2017) has pictures of the finished bench area. As you will see, I used the original table top to make a "end table and shelf" that covered all the wiring and ducts in the bench. I would not suggest installing recliners unless you move the converter to face the stove as shown in my earlier photos. In it's original location the recliner will block access to the fuse panel and block the air circulation required to cool the converter. It looks intimidating but it really wasn't hard to do. We liked the coach before but really love it now! It's perfect for the two of us. If you have any questions send me a message and I'll give you my number. Safe travels

John
Old 05-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #19

State: California
THOR #11515
Quote:
Hi Neal,
The recliners we purchased from RecPro are very comfortable and seem to be holding up well. In regards to the bench area, post #10 (6/11/2017) has pictures of the finished bench area. As you will see, I used the original table top to make a "end table and shelf" that covered all the wiring and ducts in the bench. I would not suggest installing recliners unless you move the converter to face the stove as shown in my earlier photos. In it's original location the recliner will block access to the fuse panel and block the air circulation required to cool the converter. It looks intimidating but it really wasn't hard to do. We liked the coach before but really love it now! It's perfect for the two of us. If you have any questions send me a message and I'll give you my number. Safe travels

John

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. How important is it to chain the reclinners? Does the reclinners stop any movement on turning the Captains chair?

Neal
Old 05-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #20

THOR #989
Neil,

The recliners do not stop the drivers chair from turning. In my coach the seat will turn about 90 degrees and then hits the steering wheel no matter what I have tried. It's still fine for sitting at the table when set up between the front chairs.

I chained the chairs to the seat belt mounting bolts for safety reasons. In the event of an accident I don't want them flying around. The seat belt bolts were extra long and I didn't have to remove anything. I just put a short length of chain around the chair frame, put the ends of the chain over the seat belt bolt, added a heavy washer and tightened everything down with a lock nut. I put the chains on before i put the backs on the chairs. Our recliners are wall huggers in the recline position but need to be away from the wall about 3 to 4" to got to sleeping position so I had to leave the chains loose enough for that. Good luck with your project. We love the change!