Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
More Power?

I suppose like Tim Taylor before our 1st trip in our new to us Chateau Sport I'm wanting more power! Our rig has one coach battery and I know we will be wanting to add a 2nd one along with a small inverter so the wife can watch her TV while boon docking.

Our rig has the battery mounted outside on a rack next to the generator below the dinette. Question I have is has anyone had occasion to add a second rack and if so was it something purchased or fabricated? It appears there is adequate room between the gen and the original battery to add another mount. and easily wire the 2nd one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211209_134520.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	35151  

Old 12-10-2021, 02:48 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Doubt you'll find anything like that on the,market, so if you can build it, go for it. Then take some pics and share them here.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Be mindful of the installation clearances for the generator. Installing something in that space could reduce the clearance required for adequate generator cooling.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The best of luck to you; in this very ambitious endeavor!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Call or look at vmaxtank AGM batteries
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
......cut..... Our rig has one coach battery and I know we will be wanting to add a 2nd one along with a small inverter so the wife can watch her TV while boon docking. .....cut......

It is always difficult to see all necessary details on pictures, but it looks like there may be useable space for a larger battery if just the right size, or perhaps two smaller batteries turned 90 degrees. Again, it’s hard for me to see details of what you have to work with from that picture, or if capacity gain would be worth it.

Can you post more pictures including some that show space between generator and battery? And also of battery area from different angles?

As mentioned above by Dave, heat can be a problem, but I will add that generator heat can also adversely affect the battery if too close. Additionally, adding weight, particularly in same space, should not be ignored completely. Lead batteries are heavy, and in future if you switch to lighter lithium you might want to consider alternate location anyways. I would bet there is an easy way to upgrade some, it’s just a matter of how much and cost.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Our class C batteries are under the entry steps. I swapped the stock 12v battery for two 6v golf cart batteries. BUT... I had to raise the top step by installing a thin "riser frame" on the step - which allowed space for the taller 6v batteries.

I believe your situation is different. But just to give you perspective... it CAN be done if you're willing to make the modifications. As suggested above, I would seriously look at the single larger format AGM battery. That accomplishes the two things you're trying to do - fit the battery into an existing space, and gives you more amp hours.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Provided picture also doesn’t show if a much taller battery would fit. That may be another option to consider. Top of picture doesn’t give perspective on that.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:37 AM   #9

THOR #25443
I decided to remove the battery today and get a better look at what I have to work with. My cell takes crummy pics so tomorrow I'll take a real camera out there. I didn't get any maint records so I wanted to check out the battery date and it' specs. It's an Interstate Deep Cycle Marine/RV 600 CCA and 88 AH group 27 from March 2018.
I was able to get a much better look at available space and although the spot next to the gen is doable I have maybe 30" to the right foreward the LP tank so a better location to me. A tad over 12" wide is all I need and the height clearance is 12" with 16" of depth.
So it seems the spot to the right of the existing would work ok.
An angle iron rack could be fairly easily constructed attached on one side to the existing and by adding two hanging supports secured to the subfloor would be more than enough support. Two connect cables and I'd be in business.
Another dilema. I like the AGM idea as well but I understand charging differences would require tossing the existing and buying two new AGMs
of the same flavor with like charge needs. I hate the thought of wasting a few years worth of a good battery but ?
So that's where I am today. Thanks to all that chimed in. Some really good points being made. Pictures tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Consider the age of the first battery. If it is old, adding a second new battery in parallel can reduce the life of the new battery.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Go with Lithium and you can maybe install the batteries under the dinette benches or sofa. Oh, and make sure your TV's are 12v. They usually come with 120v type.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
12v TV's are expensive and not as feature rich as store bought TV's
Old 12-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Also, some newer TVs use very little power. I have a 32” Samsung rated at 50 Watts maximum, and may use much less on average — I don’t know how much it actually consumes. It’s the only TV I have that runs off 19 VDC, powered from tiny adaptor (converter). A direct DC-DC converter may work more efficiently than using an inverter to then power the Samsung 19V converter, though I haven’t tried it.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
To the OP what year is your coach? We have only owned one coach (we have had several) that the battery, compartment didn't have room for two. They may have come with only one but there was room to upgrade to two. I have to go back to our 1990 Coachman B to find one with room for only one house battery.
I am curious if a one battery compartment is common.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #15

THOR #25443
It's a 2005 Chateau Sport 28A. A few members suggested I contact Thor for schematics and to their credit they answered the next day with 2 pages of schematics. Problem is they were updated in 2010 so pretty much useless to me. They replied that's all they have. I'll be tracing everything myself and although not impossible very time consuming.

We have two 32" LED TVs and both are 120v but draw under 50w each so a small 300w inverter should easily power one at a time for boondocking.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #16

Model: Omni XG32
THOR #24995
Quote:
I decided to remove the battery today and get a better look at what I have to work with. My cell takes crummy pics so tomorrow I'll take a real camera out there. I didn't get any maint records so I wanted to check out the battery date and it' specs. It's an Interstate Deep Cycle Marine/RV 600 CCA and 88 AH group 27 from March 2018.
I was able to get a much better look at available space and although the spot next to the gen is doable I have maybe 30" to the right foreward the LP tank so a better location to me. A tad over 12" wide is all I need and the height clearance is 12" with 16" of depth.
So it seems the spot to the right of the existing would work ok.
An angle iron rack could be fairly easily constructed attached on one side to the existing and by adding two hanging supports secured to the subfloor would be more than enough support. Two connect cables and I'd be in business.
Another dilema. I like the AGM idea as well but I understand charging differences would require tossing the existing and buying two new AGMs
of the same flavor with like charge needs. I hate the thought of wasting a few years worth of a good battery but ?
So that's where I am today. Thanks to all that chimed in. Some really good points being made. Pictures tomorrow.
IMO at least, if your current battery is advertising CCA, its not really a legit deep cycle. Its a bit of a hybrid used for engine starting and some low constant drain applications. As it is approaching 4 yrs of age, you are likely not wasting much by replacing it now and at 88ah, its really only a 44ah usable battery. I'm also willing to bet that being so low in capacity, its been drawn way down multiple times in its life.
Renogy is advertising deep discounts on their 50ah lithiums for the holiday's.
Just one of those is equivalent to 1.25 new of what you have today.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:40 PM   #17

THOR #25443
Some Pictures of proposed battery site

Here's some better pics for those that asked:
Front view
with door open
left space next to gen
right wide open space

A no brainer to locate it to the right hand side with lots of clearance. Guess my work is cut out. Curious if I can buy a wider access door. I'll be checking on that today.
RS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Outside.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	35186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	35187  

Name:	View to left.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	35188   Click image for larger version

Name:	View to right.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	35189  

Old 12-12-2021, 09:31 PM   #18

THOR #25443
I think I might take a step back and try one new thing at a time. So many things to consider thanks to you that responded. Down the road I'll likely add the second battery with some added structure but for now I've been looking at the AGM battery choices and this seems to be best fit so far. Renogy Deep Cycle 12V 100ah AGM from Amazon for $199. About the same size as a Grp27 and about 16 pounds heavier than the Interstate there now. A trade off I know but? Anyone have any experience with this model? Any thoughts?
Old 12-16-2021, 09:16 PM   #19

THOR #25443
I decided to order two AGM 100ah batteries and get this project started. The simplest solution is sometimes the best for us in this case. Wiring is already there so I'll add a positive & negative for a parallel setup then a smaller set of 12g to a spot under the dinette for my inverter. Charging should be OK with my parallax 45w setup and plenty of reserve power for longer dry camping.

I'll be building another rack to attach to the existing and bolt it all together. Soon as I finish I'll post pics.

Thanks to everyone for ideas and info.
RS
Old 12-16-2021, 09:43 PM   #20

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I suppose like Tim Taylor before our 1st trip in our new to us Chateau Sport I'm wanting more power! Our rig has one coach battery and I know we will be wanting to add a 2nd one along with a small inverter so the wife can watch her TV while boon docking.

Our rig has the battery mounted outside on a rack next to the generator below the dinette. Question I have is has anyone had occasion to add a second rack and if so was it something purchased or fabricated? It appears there is adequate room between the gen and the original battery to add another mount. and easily wire the 2nd one.
On my old class C the batteries were under the steps and it only came with one so I picked up one more the same size. I went on Amazon and bought a lug tool and made my own battery cables exactly the right size because on mine I didn't have room to have cables twisted all over the place. A 120 volt welder can weld up to 3/16 steel or you could take it to a shop for the same price. Just remember when you go to buy the steel for the battery box you'll think that its made of gold for the price they charge

Tags
add 2nd battery, mounting bracket