Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking Flight View Post
The Amazon page says it is peel and stick. So wondering how long that would last. I would still want to attach by screws but at least a little bead of caulk on the edge.
A dab or two of 3M-5200 along with the peel-and-stick will keep it in place.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
All, I did the peel and stick for now. The DW gets upset if I talk about drilling holes in the outside walls of the RV...at least until the warranty expires.

Mounting my fishing pole holder (thread elsewhere this Forum) in the 6" space under the driver/passanger seats did not count as the holes were inside the storage compartments .

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #23

THOR #2817
I have to drill at least one 5/8" diameter hole through the side of the RV for antenna coax for a ham radio. Our rig is out of warranty, but there is something about drilling a hole of that size that bothers me.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #24

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I have to drill at least one 5/8" diameter hole through the side of the RV for antenna coax for a ham radio. Our rig is out of warranty, but there is something about drilling a hole of that size that bothers me.
I know what you mean!! I drilled a 4" hole through the side on my last 5er for a dryer vent, waited til DW was gone for a while. She wanted the W/D but didn't want to drill a hole??
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
All, I did the peel and stick for now. The DW gets upset if I talk about drilling holes in the outside walls of the RV...at least until the warranty expires....
Four 2-1/2" stainless steel bolts drilled all the way through with lock nuts and washers on the inside wall would have been really secure for highway speeds!
Old 02-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #26

THOR #2817
Travelin' Texans,
I put a drier vent in an RV years ago. I waited until a morning when the dew on the side of the RV clearly showed the location of the wall braces (studs) and was sure to drill between them.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #27

THOR #2142
Metalman, when we pulled out of the driveway Saturday morning I noted the dew outlines of the supports under the passanger side window and thought I might just want to get out there one morning with some small stickers and take a few pictures and measurements of where the supports are located...for future use.

Doc

Old 02-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #28

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Metalman, when we pulled out of the driveway Saturday morning I noted the dew outlines of the supports under the passanger side window and thought I might just want to get out there one morning with some small stickers and take a few pictures and measurements of where the supports are located...for future use.

Doc
That's a great idea. Wouldn't a set of blueprints for the coach be nice, particularly one showing the electrical and plumbing circuits.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You can get electrical and plumbing diagrams from Thor, just ask.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #30

THOR #2142
Yep. Knowing the plumbing, electrical and studs/brace placements would be nice to know info before drilling holes in things.

Doc

Old 02-22-2016, 12:24 AM   #31

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
No guts, no glory!!!! And as we used to say when I was in uniform, "It's always easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission."
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 AM   #32
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I sent Thor an email asking for the wall structural diagrams because I was considering venting the convection oven to the outside. About three days after sending the email they sent me the diagrams. The only thing they show is the construction of the walls. Unfortunately they do not show how wires and plumbing are chased throughout the coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:06 AM   #33

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Metalman: I went to the customer service section of the Thor Motorhome website. I asked them for construction drawing showing the location of the studs in the walls of my Vegas 24.1 (provided VIN). Two days late I received an email with three pdf files for the left, right, and rear walls. The left & right diagrams are reversed but it is easy to figure out where the studs are.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #34

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Metalman: I went to the customer service section of the Thor Motorhome website. I asked them for construction drawing showing the location of the studs in the walls of my Vegas 24.1 (provided VIN). Two days late I received an email with three pdf files for the left, right, and rear walls. The left & right diagrams are reversed but it is easy to figure out where the studs are.
Thanks, I will do that.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #35

State: Texas
THOR #3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I sent Thor an email asking for the wall structural diagrams because I was considering venting the convection oven to the outside. About three days after sending the email they sent me the diagrams. The only thing they show is the construction of the walls. Unfortunately they do not show how wires and plumbing are chased throughout the coach.
Any chance of posting those diagrams? I am fixing to cut a dryer vent opening and that info would be very helpful to look at.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #36
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Any chance of posting those diagrams? I am fixing to cut a dryer vent opening and that info would be very helpful to look at.
Chip,

2 problems.

First the diagrams I received are specifically for a Challenger 37ND so I doubt they would be the same for an ACE.

Second the diagrams as well as the email message they came attached to were clearly marked proprietary and confidential and stated they are not to be copied or distributed without the express written permission of Thor. Thor has not responded to any email message that I sent asking for permission to post their diagrams so I do not have their "express written permission" to further distribute. According to Thor's annual report they spend a considerable sum on litigation for copyright and patent infringement and I have no intention of being their next target.

I suggest you contact Thor and ask for the diagrams specific to your model and year coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:41 AM   #37

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Just a small note on a comment I saw earlier in this thread, Dont use 3M 5200 on anything you dont want to be permanent, and I really mean permanent. The fibreglass will de-laminate before the 5200 will let go. I would stick with the double sided tape and a bead of chalk. You never know when the light might stop working and you want to pull it.